Team for Toronto

Bearman

Glenn Riley refused an eta at the airport?

Only 14 players now in the squad according to a report on fb.

If that's right it puts pressure on injured players to stay on the field potentially aggravating their injuries.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

God almighty rugby league is in a complete mess from the top to the bottom. What a laughing stock we must be to other sports.

Red Hall is Devoid of leadership throughout. Sack the lot of them.

Anyway to change the subject, I wish Barrow all the best in this game. Be brave, backs to the wall, give everything out there, don't let the 'Canadian' Englishmen run over you and bully you. Wish I was there. ?

Completely agree about the game being a laughing stock. Dewsbury only went with 16 last week and a regular pattern is emerging.

I hope Catalan avoid relegation and Toronto and Toulouse get promoted and see how the ENGLISH Super League clubs like it.

Let's see how tonights game in Denver goes. I was amazed that there were 2 SL games this week. Presumably there are no Leeds, Castleford or Wigan players in the England squad.

I hope that the new CEO  will do something very quick to build the sport from the bottom upwards otherwise we will have no rugby league to watch or support.

53 minutes ago, Michael Ashton said:

I hope that the new CEO  will do something very quick to build the sport from the bottom upwards otherwise we will have no rugby league to watch or support.

Dont think he will have much to do with the sport outside of superleague as he came in as CEO of just superleague. Rfl definitely need to be looking at whats happening with these games, didn't york travel to Toulouse with 13 last season? Would be easier to just give them the points but obviously there would be some kind of penalty to the club if we gave up a game.

Sure the 14 that have traveled will give their all and like has been mentioned previously, the result doesn't matter tonight we just have to get through with hopefully no more injuries.

Tom Heighton

I'm seriously trying to gather my thoughts. Has RL ever sank this low, if the reports turn out to be true? Awful scenario. We get two serious injuries in the first 10 minutes. Down to 12 men for the rest of the match, and a chance of more injuries. That could mean a record Rugby league score. That wouldn't happen of course because Toronto wouldn't allow it to to happen. They would be so embarrassed and what about the paying spectators? Does nobody care about them any more. Imagine going to CP and paying to watch us  play Hemel knowing they only had 14 players. Sounds stupid after this post but I am speechless. If of course the reports are true. 

As a genuine question, because i don't think anyone has done it, but what would the consequences be if we said sorry, but we just can't play this game?

The pundits on the various radio and TV programmes I follow think that expansionist into N America is the best thing since sliced bread and that the UK based Toronto Wolfpack are a breath of fresh air. 

Sadly few of to 6-9000 enthusiastic supporters can make it to away games as, reportedly they only get 10 days annual holiday. 

In an endeavour to build up more of a following for 'the greatest game', a test match is arranged in Denver between England and New Zealand, here then is an opportunity for the Canadians to see a first class game live on their own Continent, only a short flight away. 

But, but, but only the RFL would schedule the test match on the same evening that Toronto are at home to Barrow. 

David Taylor

@750VFR

Exactly VFR, which is the more important?

David Argyle treated the Barrow supporters to a free bar and food before the game. Paul Rowley has loaned Barrow a couple of players and tomorrow Toronto are paying for a trip for the Barrow team to go to Niagara.

Why ?

Because they respect the way that Barrow approach the game. They know that the Raiders are doing it tough, they buy into the  Barrow ethos of play the game hard but fair. They know from their own experience this season that when Barrow are given a levelish playing field they will compete.

Most Toronto fans are fairly new to the game and have the advantage of supporting a winning team. They are wise enough to know that it’s is going to get harder. This season has been tougher than last season and IF they get into Superleague ( I really hope they do) next season it will be even harder.

Kiplings words from “IF” are apposite “ I you can meet with triumph and disaster and treat those twin imposters just the samethen one day you will be a man my son”

These are golden days for the Wolfpack and rainy days for the Raiders. Sport is cyclical.

Crowng when your team wins and rubbishing the opposition is juvenile and is not what rugby league supporters do

COYR

COYW

snd of course COYB  

Ron Banks

4 minutes ago, Bearman said:

David Argyle treated the Barrow supporters to a free bar and food before the game. Paul Rowley has loaned Barrow a couple of players and tomorrow Toronto are paying for a trip for the Barrow team to go to Niagara.

Why ?

Because they respect the way that Barrow approach the game. They know that the Raiders are doing it tough, they buy into the  Barrow ethos of play the game hard but fair. They know from their own experience this season that when Barrow are given a levelish playing field they will compete.

Most Toronto fans are fairly new to the game and have the advantage of supporting a winning team. They are wise enough to know that it’s is going to get harder. This season has been tougher than last season and IF they get into Superleague ( I really hope they do) next season it will be even harder.

Kiplings words from “IF” are apposite “ I you can meet with triumph and disaster and treat those twin imposters just the samethen one day you will be a man my son”

These are golden days for the Wolfpack and rainy days for the Raiders. Sport is cyclical.

Crowng when your team wins and rubbishing the opposition is juvenile and is not what rugby league supporters do

COYR

COYW

snd of course COYB  

I respect teams and fans that earn it.  I met a couple of people from Swinton when they came over.  Honestly, that club's fans are awesome.  Not a bunch of ######s who ##### about the Wolfpack having some success, lack of Canadians in the team, visas, work commitments or whatever else they feel like whinging about on the given day.

5200 people came to watch your sport today.  Respect is a two way street.  

47 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

I respect teams and fans that earn it.  I met a couple of people from Swinton when they came over.  Honestly, that club's fans are awesome.  Not a bunch of ######s who ##### about the Wolfpack having some success, lack of Canadians in the team, visas, work commitments or whatever else they feel like whinging about on the given day.

5200 people came to watch your sport today.  Respect is a two way street.  

Wait, wait.

You met two fans from Swinton and that makes all Swinton fans great?

I have met a lot more than that and I can tell you that those two great fans you met ARE representative of the majority of Swinton supporters. They may be " awesome" but unfortunately for Swinton there are just not enough of 'em.

Barrow are fortunate in that they have more supporters who are even more passionate and turn out in greater numbers than those at Swinton. 

I absolutely guarantee to you that there are more regulars at Craven Park that think Toronto are good for the game than you will ever find at a Swinton home game!.

As a Toronto fan ( my third team )I am concerned about the gate today if what you say is right. 5200 is a big drop from the 7/8000 of last season. I know it was raining today and (dare I say it) Barrow are probably a bit too familiar to Torontonians!to be seen as an atttaction. But, the Wolfpack have not had many games at home so far this season and I would have thought the fans would  be turning out in more numbers.  Are you concerned about that? I guess next weeks visit of Leigh will be seen by many to be one of the biggest tests the Wolfpack have ever faced.  Will it be the first 10,000 + game?.

Ron Banks

36 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Wait, wait.

You met two fans from Swinton and that makes all Swinton fans great?

I have met a lot more than that and I can tell you that those two great fans you met ARE representative of the majority of Swinton supporters. They may be " awesome" but unfortunately for Swinton there are just not enough of 'em.

Barrow are fortunate in that they have more supporters who are even more passionate and turn out in greater numbers than those at Swinton. 

I absolutely guarantee to you that there are more regulars at Craven Park that think Toronto are good for the game than you will ever find at a Swinton home game!.

As a Toronto fan ( my third team )I am concerned about the gate today if what you say is right. 5200 is a big drop from the 7/8000 of last season. I know it was raining today and (dare I say it) Barrow are probably a bit too familiar to Torontonians!to be seen as an atttaction. But, the Wolfpack have not had many games at home so far this season and I would have thought the fans would  be turning out in more numbers.  Are you concerned about that? I guess next weeks visit of Leigh will be seen by many to be one of the biggest tests the Wolfpack have ever faced.  Will it be the first 10,000 + game?.

Toronto only ever made 7-8000 at the end of the season.  5200 is a great crowd for a side like Barrow.  The real test will be against Leigh next week, I expect a big crowd.  

19 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

Toronto only ever made 7-8000 at the end of the season.  5200 is a great crowd for a side like Barrow.  The real test will be against Leigh next week, I expect a big crowd.  

CR....a big crowd next week would be great to see but last year the Canada Day Weekend game crowd was the LOWEST Lamport crowd of 2017.  We made it to 10 home games last year but not the Canada Day Weekend game.  This year we have Season Tickets, we have not missed a home game (including the one at Fletchers Fields), but we likely will not be at 2, 3, maybe 4 games.  We will not be at the Leigh game as we have a long-standing family gathering (30+ years) every Canada Day Weekend.  As I'll bet that many, many, other folks do too.......have something similar that's a Canada Day Weekend tradition.   Some would say, bring them all to the game.  It's not quite that simple.  I'll be delighted to be wrong on this and they do get their best Lamport crowd this year against Leigh.  I'd love to be going.  AWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

10 minutes ago, Cameron Highlander said:

CR....a big crowd next week would be great to see but last year the Canada Day Weekend game crowd was the LOWEST Lamport crowd of 2017.  We made it to 10 home games last year but not the Canada Day Weekend game.  This year we have Season Tickets, we have not missed a home game (including the one at Fletchers Fields), but we likely will not be at 2, 3, maybe 4 games.  We will not be at the Leigh game as we have a long-standing family gathering (30+ years) every Canada Day Weekend.  As I'll bet that many, many, other folks do too.......have something similar that's a Canada Day Weekend tradition.   Some would say, bring them all to the game.  It's not quite that simple.  I'll be delighted to be wrong on this and they do get their best Lamport crowd this year against Leigh.  I'd love to be going.  AWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Which is why I will say 8000 for Leigh and not a sellout.  Tough ask to play 8 home games in a row.  I'm ready for them to bring on the 8s already.

The idea of Toronto and Toulouse getting promoted and Catalans staying up is an interesting one.

Assuming we manage to stay up we woud, as it stands today, get home and away matches against Hull KR and Widnes on top of the "usual fare" of Halifax, Featherstone, Batley and Leigh. Also we might get Bradford and York.

Doesn't sound bad and the Sky clowns in the Murdoch Circus can enjoy their air miles and fondly remember the days when Hull played Hull KR and Leeds played Bradford.

Shipbuilider01.png

Good luck to Toronto - I hope Rugby league takes off in Canada and in the long term it's good for the game. In the short term it hasn't done Barrow any favours but in the end it's the game that matters. If only the RFL understood that!!!

Shipbuilider01.png

It won't go down well but........unless the board spend some serious money (and they don't have to) this will always happen

We Will never beat or get near the likes of Toronto so unless someone comes in with a load of money shut up and get with on it.

Like him or loathe him Des had the right idea but unfortunately got caught. Wigan same year should have. 

The hard-core won't like this and fair enough,it's their opinion like mine. But we are a championship 1 side at best.

49 minutes ago, rooster2003 said:

It won't go down well but........unless the board spend some serious money (and they don't have to) this will always happen

It notes the out off me. We Will never beat or get near the likes of Toronto so unless someone comes in with a load of money shut up and get with on it.

Like him or loathe him Des had the right idea but unfortunately got caught. Wigan same year should have. 

The hard-core won't like this and fair enough,it's their opinion like mine. But we are a championship 1 side at best.

Where is this money coming from? 

The more money a team spends generally the higher they finish, that's been proven across all sports. We can't spend money we don't have. Having a millionaire on board is great, but without that persons money it's not as if we can go spending a fortune. 

How are we a championship 1 side at best? We are currently out of the relegation zone in the championship an have took points off both Leigh and Toronto this season. The team is performing very well and at the end of the day getting beat by 2 points or 64 made little difference yesterday. 

A full slate of players with the heart that your 14 showed last Saturday and Barrow are a team to be reckoned with...best of luck rest of the season boys.

56 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

A full slate of players with the heart that your 14 showed last Saturday and Barrow are a team to be reckoned with...best of luck rest of the season boys.

I enjoyed the game...lots of excitement and credit to Barrow for never giving up and doing their best, they were outmanned, outgunned and outmuscled but they never gave in.   That Smitty is like a small Sherman tank!

Archived