Catalans in for Smith and Williams rumours

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/paper-talk-catalans-want-williams-widnes-to-lose-ah-van-masoe-set-for-hull-kr-stay/

How would Cats get Williams and Matty Smith and Tomkins and stay under the cap? 

Further what would they do with Gigot, Mead, Williams, Williame, Smith and Drinkwater? It's alot of talent but seems a bit unbalanced to buy George Williams and Smith unless they are planning to offload some talent..... They can't squeeze them all in the team. I would think Gigot has done enough to be incumbent at full back unless they sign Tedesco or Slater.... I thought Tomkins is going to go in at half back? 

Can see Gigot going to the halves or centre. When he first signed back on for them he was scoring try's at a rate of knots in the centres.

Tomkins

Broughton

Gigot

Williame

Yaha

Williams

Smith

Would be a very good backline for them but how many times have Catalans had an on paper side that should be challenging for trophies

Smith didn’t really want to go to France when teams were trying to sign him on loan earlier this year because of his young family. Saints ultimately pulled the plug on a loan deal and many suspected they’d wait till after the Denver Test before letting him leave. 

It frees up a hell of a lot of cap at Saints too. Which is great news. He’s also finished and we never win an away game in which he’s started (barring one when he went off injured). 

It’s turning into a retirement home for ###### at Catalans. 

15 minutes ago, thepimp007 said:

Can see Gigot going to the halves or centre. When he first signed back on for them he was scoring try's at a rate of knots in the centres.

Tomkins

Broughton

Gigot

Williame

Yaha

Williams

Smith

Would be a very good backline for them but how many times have Catalans had an on paper side that should be challenging for trophies

Looks good but, What about Mead?. And Isn't Yaha off to union? 

I hope Cats keep Mead as he is a very good talent and has a good attitude. No ego about playing at centre or wing when he's the NRL star being put out of position by Gigot (who is now NRL level but people did not see that before) 

Gigot imo while decent at centre with his passing is better at fb/6. He's quite similar to Tomkins and Escare. I do wonder how he will combine with Tomkins. 

Drinkwater I feel deserves a chance to make a claim on that Jersey on the Halves as he's played so well. Smith at the right salary is not a bad choice but I would much prefer Fages if they can get him. Or Roger Lui. 

I think the Dragons need to forget Smith, not worth any money in SL, maybe see his days out (if any) in Ch/L1. Drinkwater's done well there, they should keep hm if they can, give him a payrise and forget Williams too - concentrate on the players they have and cementing those partnerships/combinations...

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

43 minutes ago, FearNothing said:

I think the Dragons need to forget Smith, not worth any money in SL, maybe see his days out (if any) in Ch/L1. Drinkwater's done well there, they should keep hm if they can, give him a payrise and forget Williams too - concentrate on the players they have and cementing those partnerships/combinations...

I agree with you re Smith and Drinkwater, FN.  there could be a case for going for Williams.  You need groups of players to cover a whole season, allowing for injuries and suspensions.  Mead, Tomkins and Gigot offer it at full-back, and Tomkins and Gigot could both do a job at no 6, alongside Drinkwater (and Langhi?).

I agree with Southerner80 that Fages could be a good bet, if available; it could kick-start his career which seems to me to be stagnating a bit at Saints, though he remains just about the busiest and best tackling dummy half/half back in SL.  Maybe Escare coukld follow the Wigan exodus!

I would also want to consider who is coming through the ranks, given that Les Dracs have regular competitive matches for the reserves/U23 side.

4 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I would also want to consider who is coming through the ranks, given that Les Dracs have regular competitive matches for the reserves/U23 side.

This too...some of the younger French guys coming through should be nurtured and brought on rather than buying has-beens from UK.

30 minutes ago, FearNothing said:

This too...some of the younger French guys coming through should be nurtured and brought on rather than buying has-beens from UK.

Posters were stamping their feet for Cats young players to get a chance this year.  Barring Albert, they’ve barely had a shot as they just aren’t good enough yet.  The has beens have dug in and have started to show form.

Just goes to show the vast difference between academy - French Reserves - SL standard.  

Why would Wigan want to be rid of Williams?   They were happy enough to tie him up to a marquee salary.   Thought he had a few years left on his current contract so that’s a huge wage bill for Cats if it happens.

I’d take Williams at Warrington if he’s available.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

3 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Posters were stamping their feet for Cats young players to get a chance this year.  Barring Albert, they’ve barely had a shot as they just aren’t good enough yet.  The has beens have dug in and have started to show form.

Just goes to show the vast difference between academy - French Reserves - SL standard.  

If only there were a way in which young players could be placed in a competition together that is a step up from Academy Rugby but not quite at the same level of Super League. Wouldn’t that be grand?

22 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

Looks good but, What about Mead?. And Isn't Yaha off to union? 

I hope Cats keep Mead as he is a very good talent and has a good attitude. No ego about playing at centre or wing when he's the NRL star being put out of position by Gigot (who is now NRL level but people did not see that before) 

Gigot imo while decent at centre with his passing is better at fb/6. He's quite similar to Tomkins and Escare. I do wonder how he will combine with Tomkins. 

Drinkwater I feel deserves a chance to make a claim on that Jersey on the Halves as he's played so well. Smith at the right salary is not a bad choice but I would much prefer Fages if they can get him. Or Roger Lui. 

Thought Mead was all but ready to go to Cas. Probably wrong mind ha

2 hours ago, thepimp007 said:

Thought Mead was all but ready to go to Cas. Probably wrong mind ha

Cas would love Mead but they would have to be prepared to pay at least 120-150k a year for him I would think and I don't know if they would pay that..... I can see him back on the NRL at say Gold Coast. I hope he stays at Dracs though as a fan I like his interplay with Bird and Gigot and general instincts in attack and fierce tackling on defence. He's a asset to the side. 

2 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

Cas would love Mead but they would have to be prepared to pay at least 120-150k a year for him I would think and I don't know if they would pay that..... I can see him back on the NRL at say Gold Coast. I hope he stays at Dracs though as a fan I like his interplay with Bird and Gigot and general instincts in attack and fierce tackling on defence. He's a asset to the side. 

I think he's brilliant but I can't see why he'd want to stay when he's being played out of position.

3 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

Yeah definitely agree. Very talented and genuine pace to burn. Cas do need a good full back and think he would be an asset for them but agree about the cost against them for someone like Mead. But they will have to spend that to get something with any ounce of ability to recoup any of what they are missing from Hardaker

3 hours ago, damp squib said:

I think he's brilliant but I can't see why he'd want to stay when he's being played out of position.

He might like the life in France and only be prepared for a move back to the Nrl...? 

Saints blocked Smith leaving because at the time Roby was out injured and Lomax was carrying a few knocks so they wanted to keep cover for 6 and 9.

Smith actually preferred a loan to Salford as he has only just moved house so didn't want an immediate move to France.

He'll be leaving Saints at the end of the year so nothing stopping him going to Cats then.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

13 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

He'll be leaving Saints at the end of the year so nothing stopping him going to Cats then.

Hope not for Cats sake... also doubt if Mead would end up at Gold Coast, they're struggling to find cap to take Tyrone Roberts back from Wire

58 minutes ago, FearNothing said:

Hope not for Cats sake... also doubt if Mead would end up at Gold Coast, they're struggling to find cap to take Tyrone Roberts back from Wire

If Barba goes back to the NRL don't be too surprised if Mead ends up at Saints with Smith going the other way

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Archived