NSW announces they will bid for 2029 World Cup

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not saying it will happen, but imagine if RLWC 2025 was really successful and drew great crowds in North America and the tournament gained a lot of respect, but the following tournament was played in Wagga Wagga, Dubbo and others. 

About 2025......

The rfl & nrl need to stop fighting,trying to out do each other in north American, and work with the RLIF and whoever is organising 2025 and start a coordinated plan to target 6 or 8 north American host cities and start taking games there to build interest for 2025 cos it'll benefit us all if it's successful

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

I see venues for this being the renovated SFS, Stadium Australia and Parramatta stadiums.

Add to that Newcastle, Gosford and Woollongong. 

No more stadiums necessary.

People judging the NSW Gov’t for not bidding to host RLWC 17 fixtures have either forgotten or are ignorant to the fact the NSW Gov’t had just committed to spending $1.8 billion to fix those first three mentioned stadiums for predominantly the benefit of RL. Perhaps the NSW Gov’t felt they were already financially committed enough to justify fixtures.

That financial commitment is what leads me to believe that no other Sydney stadium would be used than those first three.

2 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

About 2025......

The rfl & nrl need to stop fighting,trying to out do each other in north American, and work with the RLIF and whoever is organising 2025 and start a coordinated plan to target 6 or 8 north American host cities and start taking games there to build interest for 2025 cos it'll benefit us all if it's successful

I agree spud, but that’s on the assumption 2025 will be in N America

8 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

How would they fit 16 teams in just 6 stadiums? That would suggest they're looking at treble headers ffs. 

Perhaps, just perhaps, they won’t all kick off at the same time and will be played on different days?

The bid isn't for all games, but it would be for a significant majority of 'premium' matches. 

Anyway, regardless of whether or not the bid is the right strategic choice for the code, the great news is that people are already wanting to talk about RLWC2029 and put forward money for it.

Provided 2025 remains in North America, then really both Europe and the Pacific will be up for hosting 2029. The more competition, the better.

NSW will have some great stadiums in the next few years, would not complain about watching some RLWC matches at some of them.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

4 minutes ago, Copa said:

Perhaps, just perhaps, they won’t all kick off at the same time and will be played on different days?

Obviously, but if you're only using 6 stadiums then how will they be able to use them for 31 games and every day after another? It won't work.

4 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

Obviously, but if you're only using 6 stadiums then how will they be able to use them for 31 games and every day after another? It won't work.

Do you have absolutely no imagination?

Eight games a week Thursday to Sunday split across six stadiums. It’s pretty bloody obvious isn’t it.

23 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

About 2025......

Its so obvious....we like to call this foresight...they might not be up to it...shocking to see the lack of coordination. Its like a power struggle is going on or something.

2 hours ago, londonrlfan said:

The objective is to make the RLWC a prestigious event and attract crowds to every match. What does it say when you're moving matches to Wagga Wagga in front of 3000 people? 

Circa 10,000 stadia at Bathurst and Mudgee.

If it’s good enough for the NRL and Lions tours of yore then it’s good enough for Cook Islands versus Wales.

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

If it’s good enough for the NRL and Lions tours of yore then it’s good enough for Cook Islands versus Wales.

No it’s not.

Bathurst has car racing and Mudgee has wine. Leave the world sports tournaments to the cities, so those yokels (like the ones in Kent) can get on with farming and rocking in their chairs.

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

When was the last time a Lions team played in either of those two venues?

rldfsignature.jpg

What's your point? 

You criticised the possibility of somewhere like Bathurst hosting a game based on it being a small regional town, not it's rugby league history. So how is Workington's history suddenly relevant?

I'm not criticising Workington hosting games by the way - as far as I could tell, it worked brilliantly. So why couldn't Bathurst? More people live there, and more people are used to travelling there for major sport. 

14 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

What's your point? 

You criticised the possibility of somewhere like Bathurst hosting a game based on it being a small regional town, not it's rugby league history. So how is Workington's history suddenly relevant?

I'm not criticising Workington hosting games by the way - as far as I could tell, it worked brilliantly. So why couldn't Bathurst? More people live there, and more people are used to travelling there for major sport. 

Because the tournament is starting to move up a level now. The 2021 tournament has a limit of 12k capacity and is focusing on cities not small towns. Now Australia want to take the tournament backwards. They'd never play their beloved origin in these stadiums, so why the WC? 

You realise this is a bid by the NSW govt right? It's not Australia wanting to take the tournament backwards... it's a state government wanting to host a major event. 

But as for Workington, Bathurst and whatever...I don't really care either way. We're talking about a hypothetical wrapped up in a vague possibility, more than a decade away.  I was just making a bit of a joke. Host Wales v PNG at the MCG if you want. I'm sure it'll be fine.

A lot can happen in 11 years, nuclear armageddon, the total collapse of rugby union, Mr blobby becoming PM, who knows.

I would love to see some more games in PNG, thought those 3 games last year were fantastic, great crowds, amazing atmosphere. Obviously we can't host an entire tournament there but it would be good to see more rugby league games in Fiji, Samoa and Tonga as well instead of those teams always playing in Aus. Maybe a Pacific Islands and NZ world Cup or something. I know there are no massive stadiums in those places and the semis and final would probably all have to be hosted in Auckland but it's a fun thought. :)

Archived