Ch Shield: Featherstone v Dewsbury

Crown Flatter

I will be missing this game - without too much regret I'm sorry to say. The eights are fizzling out for the last time, although we shall retain our unique status.

Cappers 32 - 16 Rams

FTS: Worrincy

Att: 1350

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

32 minutes ago, EQUALIZER said:

It seems Fev voted against the change be interesting to know who the judas clubs are.

Glad you brought it up...

Only read the briefest of reports but only RL could vote foe a league that has a normal season plus 6 random games along with the Magic weekend..

What a laugh....As I always say with these things imagine if the Premier League came up with this!

Also intrigued that so many Championship clubs voted for it..Thought the current system where 4 clubs in our league have something to aim for was the best thing to happen to our league, but what do I know...

Onwards and downwards as ever....

41 minutes ago, EQUALIZER said:

It seems Fev voted against the change be interesting to know who the judas clubs are.

5 minutes ago, NickD said:

Only read the briefest of reports but only RL could vote foe a league that has a normal season plus 6 random games along with the Magic weekend..

What a laugh....As I always say with these things imagine if the Premier League came up with this!

Also intrigued that so many Championship clubs voted for it..Thought the current system where 4 clubs in our league have something to aim for was the best thing to happen to our league, but what do I know...

Seems like it was a secret ballot. Mark Campbell's comments:

“I’m baffled that nine Championship and League 1 clubs appear to have turned back on how they said they would vote.

“It seems bizarre that some of those clubs may not even be around when the structure changes come into place.

“There are some clear winners from this outcome, if you look at where certain teams are placed in relation to the promotion and relegation spots.

“It makes me really disappointed that we didn’t have an open vote and I expressed that vocally in advance.”

Campbell went on to outline his thoughts on how the club and the game should move forward now the result has been determined.

He said: “It’s a time for us to pull together as a club and deal with this new structure.

“In all honesty, this has been less about the structure itself, and more about the change in power from the RFL to Super League.

“That makes me very concerned going forward and you’ve got to think, if we’re cutting costs, then why should we have two Chief Executives?

“If Super League are going to run the show then do we really need to pay another salary?”

5 minutes ago, NickD said:

Not really. The clubs voted to get rid of the eights, which the SL clubs hated with a passion, and which have been a financial disaster for clubs like ours.

All those four clubs realistically had to aim for was a bigger pot of money in the next season: this singularly skewed our league to the extent that we ended up with the six-and-six outcome this season. Surely you never believed that more than one club could ever make it to SL, did you?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 minute ago, Blind side johnny said:

Not really. The clubs voted to get rid of the eights, which the SL clubs hated with a passion, and which have been a financial disaster for clubs like ours.

All those four clubs realistically had to aim for was a bigger pot of money in the next season: this singularly skewed our league to the extent that we ended up with the six-and-six outcome this season. Surely you never believed that more than one club could ever make it to SL, did you?

Fair enough BSJ. As ever I bow to your superior knowledge.  However I would still maintain that a season that has each team home and away and then a random 6 matches at the end is barmy...Just sounds bonkers...Play less games or share yer brass and get a couple more teams into SL.  

That said, I don't really give a flying fig what that lot do..Not watched a single SL game since it started .......

20 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

Seems the players are optimistic about beating our hosts come Sunday, but I cannot see it happening, even if we have improved lately. 

Fev 42-16 Dewsbury 

FTS: Ward

MoM: Brown

Att: Morton

Att: 1498

Rob Spicer in squad for Sunday.  Hope he gets a runout...

Just now, NickD said:

Fair enough BSJ. As ever I bow to your superior knowledge.  However I would still maintain that a season that has each team home and away and then a random 6 matches at the end is barmy...Just sounds bonkers...Play less games or share yer brass and get a couple more teams into SL.  

That said, I don't really give a flying fig what that lot do..Not watched a single SL game since it started .......

Exactly. That is the format that SL clubs wanted for their league, so let them get on with it.

What we have yet to learn is how the money will be distributed in our league next season, and the seasons after.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Exactly. That is the format that SL clubs wanted for their league, so let them get on with it.

What we have yet to learn is how the money will be distributed in our league next season, and the seasons after.

I'd doubt that next season's funding formula will change as many contracts will already have been signed based on that.

11 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I'd doubt that next season's funding formula will change as many contracts will already have been signed based on that.

Yes, that is the distribution formula from this current season, but the justification for it's retention for next season's placings is non-existent.

10 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Yes, that is the distribution formula from this current season, but the justification for it's retention for next season's placings is non-existent.

You think it'll change? After several clubs obviously reneged on their promise to vote against yesterday's SL proposal (quite possibly under duress) I wouldn't be surprised if there's some sort of backlash.

On 9/15/2018 at 9:37 AM, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

You think it'll change? After several clubs obviously reneged on their promise to vote against yesterday's SL proposal (quite possibly under duress) I wouldn't be surprised if there's some sort of backlash.

Apparently Newcastle and Rochdale were 2 of them. 

Back to the game. 

Good performance at times but too many errors against a Fev team who made few mistakes. The tries we did score seemed opportunist, we need to be more composed near the line. 

Neither team defended their line very well. Sykes unfortunately had a poor game by his standards and Morton twice ran inside to leave the opposing winger unmarked to score.

And we need to play a bit smarter. The referee was allowing Fev to lay on at the tackle, we should have done the same.

We were on the wrong end of the penalty count though how the ref and linesmen missed Wildie's high tackles in the first half I don't know. 

But add the errors to the penalties, we did well to lose by 12.

I heard on Radio Leeds Kelly is desperate to keep Gouzdek. Strange that you've not already sorted one of your best players esp with Fev short of a full back! I hope for your sake he didn't have a decent game against them yesterday lol

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Yep lower clubs players playing well against big time Charlie's is entertaining but invariably it puts them in the shop windows. Although I'm thinking fevs cheque book has been hidden away darn a pit for this year

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

16 minutes ago, Piggy's mate said:

I heard on Radio Leeds Kelly is desperate to keep Gouzdek. Strange that you've not already sorted one of your best players esp with Fev short of a full back! I hope for your sake he didn't have a decent game against them yesterday lol

Funny you should say that, he had a great game against Fev. Will be a big loss for us if/when he goes.

Another defeat to Fev with their forwards paving the way down the middle, but I think we were our own worst enemy yesterday. From the resultant kick-off to four of our tries we committed the infamous error, allowing Featherstone the opportunity to attack within twenty metres of our line. 

On a positive aspect, Josh Guzdek was my MoM; safe under the high ball (as he usually is) and great on attack with his storming breaks, one of which led to James Glover's first try and, in the second half, his deft kick twenty metres out for Daniel Igbinedion to gleefully accept and dash over close to the posts. 

Glover's second try came from his extended arm signal for Sykes to kick and the centre was on hand to touch down from much the same position as with Guzdek's kick. 

I suppose the highlight of our tries came from Dale Morton's interception try of some ninety metres' length, from which Glover converted. 

In the first half Newman intercepted and scored for the Rovers, but did he knock down a pass and the scoop up the ball before racing away? Questions also must be asked about Taulapapa's try in front of the Dewsbury faithful. He overran a move and the ball went to his wingman, Whylie, who ran forward and turned the ball inside for what looked like a forward pass and his centre scored. The try was awarded, but if it was a forward pass, then Dewsbury should have had a penalty as Taulapapa was offside at the point of receiving the ball. No doubt some disgruntled Fev supporters will want to respond to my allegation!

I have to say that until yesterday, our ref for the day, Nick Bennett, was one of my favoured officials, but for this match he and his colleagues missed head high tackles, forward passes and allowed Fev, especially, to lay on in the tackle. He also put two incidents on report, both of which confused most spectators  and neither was mentioned in the Leagur Express report. That paper continues to disappoint with its lack of in depth match reports. 

All in all, an interesting game with only twelve points in it, but it could have been so much closer if only.....

Legs, Dews, Legs.

2 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

Another defeat to Fev with their forwards paving the way down the middle, but I think we were our own worst enemy yesterday. From the resultant kick-off to four of our tries we committed the infamous error, allowing Featherstone the opportunity to attack within twenty metres of our line. 

On a positive aspect, Josh Guzdek was my MoM; safe under the high ball (as he usually is) and great on attack with his storming breaks, one of which led to James Glover's first try and, in the second half, his deft kick twenty metres out for Daniel Igbinedion to gleefully accept and dash over close to the posts. 

Glover's second try came from his extended arm signal for Sykes to kick and the centre was on hand to touch down from much the same position as with Guzdek's kick. 

I suppose the highlight of our tries came from Dale Morton's interception try of some ninety metres' length, from which Glover converted. 

In the first half Newman intercepted and scored for the Rovers, but did he knock down a pass and the scoop up the ball before racing away? Questions also must be asked about Taulapapa's try in front of the Dewsbury faithful. He overran a move and the ball went to his wingman, Whylie, who ran forward and turned the ball inside for what looked like a forward pass and his centre scored. The try was awarded, but if it was a forward pass, then Dewsbury should have had a penalty as Taulapapa was offside at the point of receiving the ball. No doubt some disgruntled Fev supporters will want to respond to my allegation!

I have to say that until yesterday, our ref for the day, Nick Bennett, was one of my favoured officials, but for this match he and his colleagues missed head high tackles, forward passes and allowed Fev, especially, to lay on in the tackle. He also put two incidents on report, both of which confused most spectators  and neither was mentioned in the Leagur Express report. That paper continues to disappoint with its lack of in depth match reports. 

All in all, an interesting game with only twelve points in it, but it could have been so much closer if only.....

I think there were actually 3 on reports: pressure to neck, spear tackle and some pushing and shoving after a dig on an already tackled player. Apart from the first which no one near me saw (although the ref did appear to signal the reason by patting the back of his neck) I thought the other 2 were pretty clear.

21 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Back to the game. 

Good performance at times but too many errors against a Fev team who made few mistakes. The tries we did score seemed opportunist, we need to be more composed near the line. 

Neither team defended their line very well. Sykes unfortunately had a poor game by his standards and Morton twice ran inside to leave the opposing winger unmarked to score.

And we need to play a bit smarter. The referee was allowing Fev to lay on at the tackle, we should have done the same.

We were on the wrong end of the penalty count though how the ref and linesmen missed Wildie's high tackles in the first half I don't know. 

But add the errors to the penalties, we did well to lose by 12.

Excuse me sir but Dewsbury did it nearly all game, honestly were you watching the same game as us (and Iam not saying we didn't do it). 

2 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I think there were actually 3 on reports: pressure to neck, spear tackle and some pushing and shoving after a dig on an already tackled player. Apart from the first which no one near me saw (although the ref did appear to signal the reason by patting the back of his neck) I thought the other 2 were pretty clear.

Laying on? You must have seen Dewsbury doing then ? 

Archived