Featherstone v Batley match thread

Batley Bob

5 hours ago, Keep The Faith said:

But let’s remember fev finished top 4 years on the bounce but failed to win the main trophy on three occasions 

batley from 2010-2016 finished within the top 3-7 over enough times to become a serious threat and decent sized club over the years but something is holding us back I just can’t put my finger on the problem...

Yes I remember the grand final against Sheffield and being 12-0 up.

What do you think the problem is?

Attemdance and catchment area?  

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Niels said:

Yes I remember the grand final against Sheffield and being 12-0 up.

What do you think the problem is?

Attemdance and catchment area?  

Attendances definitely the catchment area is heavily populated by people who will never attend games.

16 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

This, not to mention how you get round the issue of the relegated team from SL having to adjust from having £2m central funding to having to fund a team on 1/10th of that budget. They would literally have to get rid of virtually every player and try and find a team of Championship players from scratch after most players across the league had signed contracts.

I know Leigh had to do something along those lines this year but that was as a result of choosing to overspend in the Championship rather than being relegated, and they were probably very fortunate not to go into administration.

Franchises would cure this at a stroke.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

10 hours ago, greavesy said:

Attendances definitely the catchment area is heavily populated by people who will never attend games.

I presume from this comment that the majority of fans walk to the game.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 2/13/2019 at 10:22 AM, POR said:

no salary cap introduced to stop the rich clubs spending lots more than the poorer clubs but hasn't really worked how many got enough to spend to the limit isn't the championship same as super greed  1.8 mill now wouldn't that be nice if BATLEY AND FEV had a spare 1.8 mill in our backpockets and as phil rightly says you'll always get the best players signing for clubs with that extra bit of cash through the turnstiles. proof haven't we signed your best two players from last season

No, one of those went to Newcastle.

Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

11 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I presume from this comment that the majority of fans walk to the game.

Correct BSJ or taxi. The local populace have no interest whatsoever of attending games for probably half a mile surrounding Mount Pleasant

18 hours ago, greavesy said:

Correct BSJ or taxi. The local populace have no interest whatsoever of attending games for probably half a mile surrounding Mount Pleasant

Time to relocate the ground closer to where the support live then.

I see that Harry Newman has been named in two squads this weekend. Is this how DR was intended to work?

20 minutes ago, Dog Faced Gremlin said:

Does anyone remember A.N. Other? What ever happened to him?

serious question (even if it doesn’t sound like it)

I retired along with my good mate S.O.Else.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

17 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Serious question to the above. Do you think that worked for Dewsbury.

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

13 hours ago, phildog said:

Well, at least Fev can't use Mullaly, he's transferred to Toronto....

correct but we've got smith and from what I have seen he's head and shoulders better than mulally

1 hour ago, grumpyoldram said:

I retired along with my good mate S.O.Else.

hello A.N.OTHER you must remember  me we played together at FEV I was the hooker A.FREEMAN

16 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I see that Harry Newman has been named in two squads this weekend. Is this how DR was intended to work?

BSJ you know squads are just bits of paper and mean diddly squat till handed into ref as for Newman he's an academey player been in all Leeds  squads this year but got no game time but while  you keep having a pop at FEV's DR arrangement but forgot to mention Singleton was names in Leeds squad to face Wigan  last week didn't play and turned out for FEV Sunday got to admit none of us saw that coming thought we would be getting Newman he's back in Leeds squad again this week so it looks like last week Furner had put him on the naughty step

2 hours ago, colinb said:

Serious question to the above. Do you think that worked for Dewsbury.

Well, we won the Championship shortly afterwards, so yes.

4 hours ago, POR said:

correct but we've got smith and from what I have seen he's head and shoulders better than mulally

hello A.N.OTHER you must remember  me we played together at FEV I was the hooker A.FREEMAN

BSJ you know squads are just bits of paper and mean diddly squat till handed into ref as for Newman he's an academey player been in all Leeds  squads this year but got no game time but while  you keep having a pop at FEV's DR arrangement but forgot to mention Singleton was names in Leeds squad to face Wigan  last week didn't play and turned out for FEV Sunday got to admit none of us saw that coming thought we would be getting Newman he's back in Leeds squad again this week so it looks like last week Furner had put him on the naughty step

I'm a bit surprised Sky are not televising the Saints v Leeds game tomorrow at Leigh Sports Village tomorrow. 

On 2/15/2019 at 3:57 PM, Blind side johnny said:

In all seriousness, I always thought it was a shame we didn't share a ground once you left Crown Flatt. It seemed to make sense given the state of the Mount at that time. It has always seemed crazy to me that rugby grounds are only really used for about 30 days a year. 

6 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Well, we won the Championship shortly afterwards, so yes.

With respect BSJ that wasn't the question.You said "move the ground to get nearer the fans"....nothing to do with winning trophies. 

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

31 minutes ago, colinb said:

With respect BSJ that wasn't the question.You said "move the ground to get nearer the fans"....nothing to do with winning trophies. 

Well our gates went up. 

Seriously do your fans really believe that your attendances are as they are simply because of your local population? It really is a lazy excuse for a simple decline in interest.

Archived