Normalising Obesity

43 minutes ago, BryanC said:

Sadly the world changed a good few years ago.

Following yet another outcry about stick-thin, anorexic models, a somewhat misguided campaign started to "be yourself".

Sadly this was interpreted by many to have been given carte blanche to eat like a big fat gluttonous pig all day long.

The "you go girlfriend" mentality has us turning into a nation of blimps. If you so much as DARE to brush on the fact that somebody is morbidly obese (and YES, most definitely, yes, your backside DOES look big in that. Sorry, no, wait, it actually looks IMMENSE), then you are accused of fat shaming.

Well yes I am more than happy to "fat shame" you, because it's a shame you are fat, you'd be a decent looking lass if you put down the Big Mac, wipe the sauce off your fat face and lose about five or six stone. (And for the love of God, please STOP wearing those skintight leggings).

giphy.gif

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BryanC said:

Following yet another outcry about stick-thin, anorexic models, a somewhat misguided campaign started to "be yourself".

Sadly this was interpreted by many to have been given carte blanche to eat like a big fat gluttonous pig all day long.

The "you go girlfriend" mentality has us turning into a nation of blimps. If you so much as DARE to brush on the fact that somebody is morbidly obese (and YES, most definitely, yes, your backside DOES look big in that. Sorry, no, wait, it actually looks IMMENSE), then you are accused of fat shaming.

Well yes I am more than happy to "fat shame" you, because it's a shame you are fat, you'd be a decent looking lass if you put down the Big Mac, wipe the sauce off your fat face and lose about five or six stone. (And for the love of God, please STOP wearing those skintight leggings).

But why would you say that to this person in the first place? What is it to do with you? Said person will undoubtedly have other issues that you know nothing about.

I don't argue against you thinking it, but if I were to make comments on this board for example about my commute home on an evening and the people I encountered I would be banned because I too am generalising about a particular group of people in a very critical manner.

And if you disagree, fine, if you read through this thread then you will find a post saying my obesity is the worst thing I have had to live with. I chuffing hate it.

I don't really subscribe to the notion that everything is down to "issues".

They are a new thing and seem to be all the rage. Most of them are invented to offload self-blame.

The NHS is in a poor enough state without having to deal with unnecessary illnesses caused by stuffing your face.

24 minutes ago, BryanC said:

I don't really subscribe to the notion that everything is down to "issues".

They are a new thing and seem to be all the rage. Most of them are invented to offload self-blame.

The NHS is in a poor enough state without having to deal with unnecessary illnesses caused by stuffing your face.

Agreed. That doesn't mean you're right to fat shame though. I'm sure others can attest that the NHS is broken for many reasons, for example my obesity hasn't had any impact on the NHS.

I'm not apologising for people who are obese. I'm just as disappointed/disgusted/frustrated, and that includes my own self image, but slagging someone off for the way they are in any "criteria" (there's probably a better word) doesn't help IMO. 

I don't know you but I bet you have something someone will judge you for, we all do.

Hindle, you seem to be missing my point. There is no such thing as "fat shaming". What is deemed to be "fat shaming" is merely somebody pointing out cold hard facts. Said person is fat. Fact. It is no different than pointing out that someone has red hair or is black.

I sympathise with your position, but it is not down to "issues", it is down to YOU and nothing will change until you accept that fact and decide to something about it.

YOU are the only one who can change things.

I have not really had any great weight issues in my life, I eat (very) moderately and healthily during the working week so that I can splurge at weekends, but I have to deprive myself of things I want from Monday to Friday.

Embrace the suffering my friend, safe in the knowledge that as hungry as you feel, you are NOT going to starve to death. The disappointment, disgust and frustration will soon be replaced with a feeling of satisfaction, achievement and elation.

Like a great many challenges in life, it is best to start ONE DAY AT A TIME. Just tell yourself you are not going to overeat today and what's more, you're going to get off your backside and go for a decent walk. It doesn't have to be ten miles, but every step burns off energy.

(Calories in, calories out my friend).

Do the same tomorrow. You've done it once, so second time should be easier (and so on, ad infinitum).

Nobody is going to do it for you.

Start today.

Wow thank you.  I never knew I was fat.  If only you had been around to tell me sooner.  You are such a hero, Capt. Obvious.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

10 minutes ago, BryanC said:

It is no different than pointing out that someone has red hair or is black.

You point at black people? 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

3 minutes ago, BryanC said:

Hindle, you seem to be missing my point. There is no such thing as "fat shaming". What is deemed to be "fat shaming" is merely somebody pointing out cold hard facts. Said person is fat. Fact. It is no different than pointing out that someone has red hair or is black.

I sympathise with your position, but it is not down to "issues", it is down to YOU and nothing will change until you accept that fact and decide to something about it.

YOU are the only one who can change things.

I have not really had any great weight issues in my life, I eat (very) moderately and healthily during the working week so that I can splurge at weekends, but I have to deprive myself of things I want from Monday to Friday.

Embrace the suffering my friend, safe in the knowledge that as hungry as you feel, you are NOT going to starve to death. The disappointment, disgust and frustration will soon be replaced with a feeling of satisfaction, achievement and elation.

Like a great many challenges in life, it is best to start ONE DAY AT A TIME. Just tell yourself you are not going to overeat today and what's more, you're going to get off your backside and go for a decent walk. It doesn't have to be ten miles, but every step burns off energy.

(Calories in, calories out my friend).

Do the same tomorrow. You've done it once, so second time should be easier (and so on, ad infinitum).

Nobody is going to do it for you.

Start today.

Cheers, and I'm doing alright at the moment. Whether your comments were +/- they won't affect me much. Hence my questioning why you would you impart a negative dialogue to a strangers (the post which started this conflab). You mention about pointing out someone has red hair or is black but what you said had negative connotations, ie you bad. If the same is said about someone who is black that is racism. (I hope I'm making sense).

The rest of your post is well thought out however I take issue with simple calorie deficit, to compare with rugby league, all West Wales Raiders have to do is score more points than their opponents and they win. Yet they haven't, why not? Calories in v calories out is the formula to "win", the hour to hour, day to day challenge of weight loss is the minutes of the game of rugby as it were.

Oh God, there's no hope.

It's not the hypothetical fat person who is bad, it is the endless excuses, blaming "issues", denial and lack of facing up to the fact that they are where they are due to their own actions.

Nobody MAKES someone eat 5000 calories a day.

The destiny of Raiders (or anyone else's) games isn't just in their hands, you're comparing apples with oranges.

3 minutes ago, BryanC said:

Oh God, there's no hope.

It's not the hypothetical fat person who is bad, it is the endless excuses, blaming "issues", denial and lack of facing up to the fact that they are where they are due to their own actions.

Nobody MAKES someone eat 5000 calories a day.

The destiny of Raiders (or anyone else's) games isn't just in their hands, you're comparing apples with oranges.

I hear you, I understand. My original point was if that isn't you, then ignore it, live your life and let them live theirs. I don't see the point standing on the side booing them!

Anyway my local take away opens soon!! I'll be back to criticise the delivery driver...

And because I like my made up theory I'll elaborate using convenience, winning at rugby and (dieting) requires:

Attitude (belief)

Trust (responsibility)

Natural ability (genes)

Discipline (willpower)

Coaching (knowledge)

Skill (cooking)

Decision making (food choices)

Organised defence (managing cravings)

Attack (shopping?) I'm running out of ideas now.

... Ready meals (Dual Reg, Fev!)

4 hours ago, BryanC said:

It is appalling that this post got two likes.

Based on your views on fat shaming, I feel it is only fair I let you know that you are an absolute c**t.

Mods, do as you see fit with me and my post.

On 03/07/2019 at 23:22, JohnM said:

Certain medicines, including some corticosteroids, medications for epilepsy and diabetes, and some medications used to treat mental illness – including antidepressants and medicines for schizophrenia – can contribute to weight gain.

Source: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/obesity/causes/

I’ve been on Predisinone since my transplant last March and put on well over a stone in that time, gladly the Dr is weening me off it now. Just a few weeks left on it thankfully

24 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It is appalling that this post got two likes.

Based on your views on fat shaming, I feel it is only fair I let you know that you are an absolute c**t.

Mods, do as you see fit with me and my post.

Nothing worse than someone who masks their own ignorance of an issue by claiming they are simply telling it like it is. 

There are two entirely separate issues:

1) How we deal with the so-called obesity epidemic

2) How we treat people who are overweight/obese

Number 1 requires careful consideration and is far more complicated than many people think. There are cultural, psychological and genetic factors all at play. To give just one example, there is a gene that has two variants, if you have the first you're 50% more likely to be obese, if you have the second you're 95% more likely.

People who say it's simple and just about how much you eat are often people who have been lucky and have never had to consider what they eat or deprive themselves of anything. Very few are highly toned athletes who have acquired their moral superiority through hard work.

Number 2 is simple. We should treat people with respect. Obesity and being fat is seen as an over-riding moral failing, perhaps more than any other. It is associated with weakness and a character flaw that can be used to make generalisations about a person's whole character.

I know because I do it with morbidly obese people. I simply can't imagine how they've ever let themselves get so big and subconsciously I think it does affect my opinion of them as a person.

This shouldn't be. There are plenty of other areas where people have moral failings: smoking, alcohol, relationships etc but it isn't seen as an over-riding character flaw in the same way. 

26 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

There are two entirely separate issues:

1) How we deal with the so-called obesity epidemic

2) How we treat people who are overweight/obese

Number 1 requires careful consideration and is far more complicated than many people think. There are cultural, psychological and genetic factors all at play. To give just one example, there is a gene that has two variants, if you have the first you're 50% more likely to be obese, if you have the second you're 95% more likely.

People who say it's simple and just about how much you eat are often people who have been lucky and have never had to consider what they eat or deprive themselves of anything. Very few are highly toned athletes who have acquired their moral superiority through hard work.

Number 2 is simple. We should treat people with respect. Obesity and being fat is seen as an over-riding moral failing, perhaps more than any other. It is associated with weakness and a character flaw that can be used to make generalisations about a person's whole character.

I know because I do it with morbidly obese people. I simply can't imagine how they've ever let themselves get so big and subconsciously I think it does affect my opinion of them as a person.

This shouldn't be. There are plenty of other areas where people have moral failings: smoking, alcohol, relationships etc but it isn't seen as an over-riding character flaw in the same way. 

Perfectly put.

Lack of compassion is a far bigger moral failing imo.

46 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Perfectly put.

Lack of compassion is a far bigger moral failing imo.

The problem with obesity is that it is instantly visible. An instant judgement can be made from across the street.

Other moral failings are far less visible and often only apparent after a longer period of time. 

If you are genetically set up to be "more likely" to become obese, it doesn't mean that it is compulsory.

More excuses guys, must do better, it's all about YOU.

Calories in > calories out = FAT

Always looking for the issue / reason / excuse. Pathetic. Stop pandering to weak people and encourage them to grow a pair. 

Genes were exactly the same on the back of WW2, but with rationing and austerity, fat lumps were few and far between.

17 minutes ago, BryanC said:

If you are genetically set up to be "more likely" to become obese, it doesn't mean that it is compulsory.

More excuses guys, must do better, it's all about YOU.

Calories in > calories out = FAT

Always looking for the issue / reason / excuse. Pathetic. Stop pandering to weak people and encourage them to grow a pair. 

Genes were exactly the same on the back of WW2, but with rationing and austerity, fat lumps were few and far between.

If it helps to the black and white thinking, you are wrong. No, really. I will be too, but I can accept that.

Archived