Normalising Obesity

8 minutes ago, jacksy said:

Boris looking to cut sugar, salt, alcohol and tobacco taxes. ? finding more ways to give back to his mates.

But going down the whole, "poor people have such terrible lives, who would deny them this life shortening treat" approach.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jacksy said:

Boris looking to cut sugar, salt, alcohol and tobacco taxes. ? finding more ways to give back to his mates.

Didnt know JCB sold any of those (they are his biggest personal donors)

The New JCB 3Cx with no added sugar

As an aside I hear JCB have spent a fortune researching how to use water rather than hydraulic fluid in excavator hydraulics as it is one of the most likely contamination issues on building sites (not a simple issue as water has such a low boiling point)

1 hour ago, SSoutherner said:

Do they do a studded version for on pitch ?

I was about to google “studded fetish stiletto “ when I realised I am at work and it may be career limiting

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 10:36, ckn said:

I read this article this morning on “fat” being a neutral word and it fits in with the rest of the agenda to de-stigmatise obesity.  Idiot people.  Being fat is NOT healthy and it should have a negative impression.  I’m overweight, pushing 30 on the BMI scale and I know that it’s causing me health issues, especially on my already knackered knees.

I won’t make fun of people who have obvious illnesses, I include being obese in that, but I’m certainly not going to suddenly pretend that it’s fine to be fat.  Would we be telling people walking around with open sores that it’s fine and they should love them?

The best thing an obese person can do to improve their health is lose weight, anyone encouraging an obese person to stay obese is effectively encouraging them to die younger.

Childhood obesity is soaring, especially in deprived areas, I see the NHS health stats on this and it’s truly shocking.  Obesity has become normalised and many parents simply don’t see what’s wrong with their kids being overweight any longer.  Substantially more children are getting to adulthood in shocking health because of this with all the life-long health consequences that come with it.

So, you can take your “love your fat” message and ram it up your backside.

do you know how calories are in that phrase?! 

36 minutes ago, Terrybill said:

do you know how calories are in that phrase?! 

Not sure calories count in a suppository? 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I do believe the principle is that they dissolve in the rectum and I guess the calorie count would be dependent on the composition of the suppository and the actual fat content and how big they have to make the suppository so it doesn't fall out

8 hours ago, JohnM said:

...most Bake-Off and Saturday Morning cooking progs  seem to be about cake!  Mmmmmmm! ?

But as I told the doc only last week. I'm not overweight....I'm under tall.

Serious  point though. Being overweight has a negative effect on life expectancy, heart disease, diabetes etc.

I don't quite get Saturday/Sunday morning cooking programs, there is nothing I fancy seeing less at that time than full on meals. 

8 hours ago, SSoutherner said:

Yes but a lot of the time they use "poncy" expensive ingredients - they show cooked from scratch meals food as aspirational rather than the everyday norm.

The more useful cooking show I remember was a late night one shown in the 90's called "get stuffed" which was basically how to do student cooking on a budget (if you could cope with the presentation style)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3jJb9TgJcg

I find proper cooking from cookbooks very unsatisfying. It is usually quite expensive and hard to find all the exact ingredients and then it takes a while.

For all that, it is done and finished in a few minutes. 

guzzled  gallons of alpine pop as a kid , additives that made hi viz vests look dull , the corner shop was full of jars of sweets , from sweet peanuts to cough candy and the "penny tray" bring back "sweet cigarettes" and make sure every kid has one behind their year, some people are thin -some people are fat - story of life- deal with it.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

grainy slow motion footage of someone in tracksuit bottoms with a greggs pasty walking round Bolton town centre with their belly hanging out is the modern equivalent to the public information films of the 70s and 80s

4 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

guzzled  gallons of alpine pop as a kid , additives that made hi viz vests look dull , the corner shop was full of jars of sweets , from sweet peanuts to cough candy and the "penny tray" bring back "sweet cigarettes" and make sure every kid has one behind their year, some people are thin -some people are fat - story of life- deal with it.

Ignoring the fact that your end conclusion is entirely wrong, you are right about how people are wrong in claiming that people were so much healthier in days gone by.

I went my nan's for tea when I was at junior school in the early 90s. It was chips, ice cream and chocolate every night. That's just how she cooked. Also, my dad dropped me at the top of the road most days with 20p to get some sweets.

4 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Ignoring the fact that your end conclusion is entirely wrong, you are right about how people are wrong in claiming that people were so much healthier in days gone by.

I went my nan's for tea when I was at junior school in the early 90s. It was chips, ice cream and chocolate every night. That's just how she cooked. Also, my dad dropped me at the top of the road most days with 20p to get some sweets.

and the shop was at the bottom of the road so it was win win

6 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I also had fine dining at aunties etc, pancakes in treacle, buns and cakes and custard the colour  that you would need those goggles for a full eclipse to even look at these days- all finished off with the pink strip of bubblegum from a packet of topps football cards to freshen the mouth

11 hours ago, JohnM said:

Certain medicines, including some corticosteroids, medications for epilepsy and diabetes, and some medications used to treat mental illness – including antidepressants and medicines for schizophrenia – can contribute to weight gain.

Source: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/obesity/causes/

Yes my stepbrother got acute gout aged 18 due to one kidney scared by a uti when he was likely still in nappies and one congenitally malformed (so bad he would have to crawl up the stair when it flared up)

He was placed on steroids and those plus leaving home to life with my stepnan  who was from Batley (Yorkshire Pud with every meat meal and lots of dripping fried fatty bacon) meant he ballooned to 22stone from about 11 inside 3 yrs - at age 30 he had a fatal heart attack

On 03/07/2019 at 23:08, hindle xiii said:

@graveyard johnny @Maximus Decimus and for all we know you two maybe overweight ... or perhaps "skinnyfat". *shrug*

I'm not sure why I'm included in this! I'm the one arguing that it isn't simply an issue of eating better and exercising more.

For the record I'm relatively small (5 ft 7/8) and have spent most of my adult life around 13 stone. I've dieted to 11 stone and nearly hit 14 stone a couple of times.

So whilst I've never been morbidly obese, weight has been a perpetual issue for me since I was about 11. 

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I find this an interesting one and you do hear conflicting ideas.

Last Easter I decided to make a change and started exercising and eating better. It turned out my heart wasn't in the dieting and I wasn't losing weight as quickly as I was used to. 

However, I stuck with it and over time lost weight very slowly. I called it my 'half a pound a week diet.' Interestingly, I only plateaued when I cut back the running over the winter.

Of course, the real benefit to exercise is that it makes you feel better and changes your body shape in the process. 

11 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I'm the one arguing that it isn't simply an issue of eating better and exercising more.

While I agree this doesn't work for everyone, I honestly believe eating better and exercising more works for the vast majority of people. 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

8 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

While I agree this doesn't work for everyone, I honestly believe eating better and exercising more works for the vast majority of people. 

This isn't essentially what I meant as this is of course true. 

It is more the opposite, many people who are not overweight are so despite having poor diets and doing next to no exercise. 

Sadly the world changed a good few years ago.

Following yet another outcry about stick-thin, anorexic models, a somewhat misguided campaign started to "be yourself".

Sadly this was interpreted by many to have been given carte blanche to eat like a big fat gluttonous pig all day long.

The "you go girlfriend" mentality has us turning into a nation of blimps. If you so much as DARE to brush on the fact that somebody is morbidly obese (and YES, most definitely, yes, your backside DOES look big in that. Sorry, no, wait, it actually looks IMMENSE), then you are accused of fat shaming.

Well yes I am more than happy to "fat shame" you, because it's a shame you are fat, you'd be a decent looking lass if you put down the Big Mac, wipe the sauce off your fat face and lose about five or six stone. (And for the love of God, please STOP wearing those skintight leggings).

Archived