A permanent home for the club in Oldham

Hollinwood

On 15/10/2019 at 19:11, tandle said:

what blind side says about schools not playing sport is correct. I watch children walk past my house going to school mainly 5 to 7 year olds a lot of them are obese and sadly so are their mothers.

sadly most of  these children are from a 1 parent family without a father figure to take them to watch sports. that is the environment they are brought up in how many on this forum come from a 1 parent family.

so the fact is children are not taught sport at school and a lot not taught sport at home

sadly it is the age of the couch potato go on any precinct and the  results. 

I am not being at all political here but the rot set in with the introduction of teachers' contracts in the 80's (?). Up until then the hours of work were never defined and teachers happily gave up their own time to teach sports, and other things, after school. The gradual imposition of measurement and monitoring led those entering the profession to develop a completely different attitude, hence no after-hours sports training.

Nor is it recent: just look at the current state of amateur RL in the North, simply due to a lack of players willing to make the commitment.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems a lot of schools are outsourcing sports and PE activities. My son is a sports coach graduate and most of the jobs out there are with organisations that go into schools and provide sports sessions at lunch or after school. So that more of the academic day is focused on the core curriculum, not PE.  Gone are the days when schools run 3 or 4 teams for rugby/ football/ cricket etc. A backward step in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I am not being at all political here but the rot set in with the introduction of teachers' contracts in the 80's (?). Up until then the hours of work were never defined and teachers happily gave up their own time to teach sports, and other things, after school. The gradual imposition of measurement and monitoring led those entering the profession to develop a completely different attitude, hence no after-hours sports training.

Nor is it recent: just look at the current state of amateur RL in the North, simply due to a lack of players willing to make the commitment.

The RFL would have propped things up for a while with schools visits/training etc.  When they went (due to money), there was not much left.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

12 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

As we don't have as much time as we did, we don't mix with neighbours as much as we did and lead more insular lives which results in what you state above.

Agree 100%, there doesn't seem to be a feeling of community any more. 

• 1 month later...
On 14/10/2019 at 15:41, jroyales said:

One of the greatest problems facing ORLFC is the total demise of schools playing rugby. When I was teaching every secondary school had a team, there was a town team that all the lads wanted to play for, there was a county side and to top it all a national schoolboys side.

What do we have now - nothing w33

Back to the original post the argument about playing on the "rugby" side of the town is a sound one. I have advocated for a long time about the building of a community stadium on the old Higginshaw gasworks site - it's massive.

Sadly neither will happen. The supporters will get older and not replaced by younger blood and rugby in schools, I feel, will not be resurrected.

Never heard such rubbish and out of date rubbish for a long time 

I am 49 years old rugby league was never played in all schools in Oldham and only kids from certain schools got selected for county or national sides 

rugby will be kept alive by local rugby clubs not lazy teachers 

Lazy teachers?? I think you'll find their roles have changed massively since the 80s when you were in school, sadly dogged down by paperwork and red tape nowadays.  I'm 50 and remember a good few secondary schools running RL teams at different age groups

Archived