The Ashes Thread - Cricket

Fine ton by Burns, nicely done. Another decent partnership and we should be set.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure I'm overlooking some but it seems like an age since we've seen England bat for a day in Test cricket like they were actually playing Test cricket. Good performance with the bat so far, surprisingly given the expectations. Any lead will be worth it but no need to rush.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I'm sure I'm overlooking some but it seems like an age since we've seen England bat for a day in Test cricket like they were actually playing Test cricket. Good performance with the bat so far, surprisingly given the expectations. Any lead will be worth it but no need to rush.

Was just thinking the same . 250 in a day with proper studious batting and an opener playing a traditional openers knock. And it was still a fascinating watch. Just bat and wear the three seamers into the ground . 

PS None of the sky experts - or Willis - had Burns in their team ...

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Agreed, we all know that the middle order can (and sometime disastrously do) lash out and accelerate.  Often wrongly as a reaction to pressure.

What we needed to prove is that we also had in the lineup some players who would patiently construct an innings like Burns just did for me.

It’s worth noting that much was being made of his struggle with spin earlier this morning, but he kept with his plan.

58 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Can’t be many times lately we’ve batted in three consecutive days in a test innings !

You assume Root won't declare overnight. 

And when they found our shadows

Grouped around the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data on their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

This species has amused itself to death

No tears to cry no feelings left

This species has amused itself to death

16 hours ago, DavidM said:

Can’t be many times lately we’ve batted in three consecutive days in a test innings !

We batted three consecutive days against Ireland last week ? (not in the same innings obvs.)

30 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Anyone feel we might just want to accelerate gently after lunch to leave ourselves enough time to win the match?

Or is that getting ahead of ourselves?

I guess with Bairstow, Woakes & Ali in next, the scoring rate will naturally pick up anyway.

Really can't see time being a problem whichever way it goes. Draw seems pretty unlikely.

48 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Anyone feel we might just want to accelerate gently after lunch to leave ourselves enough time to win the match?

Is any rain forecast?

Time's not an issue yet for either side to win.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

Bairstow’s quickly followed him

His form has been slightly  better . Two absolute shocking dismissals after all that hard proper grinding work to build a position 

You have to love cricket, before the match I would have been happy with a 1st innings lead of 50+, yesterday I'd of thought 50 was pretty poor, an hour or so ago, I'd of taken 50+ again!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

'He's got sandpaper in his hand, He's got sandpaper in his hand...'

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Archived