10-11 Aug: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, ojx said:

If Toulouse are second and Leigh third, it is possible that Leigh's last five games could be:

• Toronto (away) - regular season
  • Toulouse (away)
  • Toronto (away)
  • Toulouse (away)
  • Toronto (away)

Lucky buggers!  All sun, sand and international travel for the playboys from Leigh.

18 hours ago, ojx said:

If Toulouse are second and Leigh third, it is possible that Leigh's last five games could be:

• Toronto (away) - regular season
  • Toulouse (away)
  • Toronto (away)
  • Toulouse (away)
  • Toronto (away)

I assume you have Leigh (3rd) beating Toulouse (2nd), losing to Toronto (1st) and then having to play Toulouse again. If so, Leigh would be at home, not away.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

3 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I assume you have Leigh (3rd) beating Toulouse (2nd), losing to Toronto (1st) and then having to play Toulouse again. If so, Leigh would be at home, not away.

Are you sure ?

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Are you sure ?

Well that's how it was in the previous top 5. You play at the home of the loser of the qualifying playoff final.

Could be different now. I've read that the final will be played at the highest ranked teams home ground, not the team that qualifies for the Grand Final first (which I think it's stupid).

Just now, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Well that's how it was in the previous top 5. You play at the home of the loser of the qualifying playoff final.

Could be different now. I've read that the final will be played at the highest ranked teams home ground, not the team that qualifies for the Grand Final first (which I think it's stupid).

Which is what leads some to believe in the scenario we're discussing 3rd would have to visit 2 nd again 

It really isn't clear 

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Which is what leads some to believe in the scenario we're discussing 3rd would have to visit 2 nd again 

It really isn't clear 

You're right, it isn't.

It produces repeat fixtures if you do it that way and doesn't give reward for winning play off games early on.

3 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

3 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

It really isn't clear 

Yes it is. The RFL confirmed a few weeks ago that ALL Championship play off games will be played at the home ground of the team with the highest league finishing position. They have been the rules since before the season started. Some journo misinterpreting the play off schematic and not actually reading the rules has led to all the confusion.

10 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Yes it is. The RFL confirmed a few weeks ago that ALL Championship play off games will be played at the home ground of the team with the highest league finishing position. They have been the rules since before the season started. Some journo misinterpreting the play off schematic and not actually reading the rules has led to all the confusion.

So potentially as suggested ? , Away,away,away and then away ? , Save me few quid that will 

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Well to me, that's stupid. You lose your advantage gained by winning the earlier game in the playoff, rendering it pretty much pointless and resulting in a repeat fixture.

When Huddersfield lost their first playoff game when they were league leaders and had to go the other route, they didn't get their home advantage back in the semi finals. 

7 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Well to me, that's stupid. You lose your advantage gained by winning the earlier game in the playoff, rendering it pretty much pointless and resulting in a repeat fixture.

When Huddersfield lost their first playoff game when they were league leaders and had to go the other route, they didn't get their home advantage back in the semi finals. 

I guess you think the SL play off rules are stupid too then?

3 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I guess you think the SL play off rules are stupid too then?

If Hull finish 3rd, beat Warrington, then lose to Saints and have to go back to Warrington despite already beating them at their ground in the playoff series, then yes I think that is stupid. They should have Home advantage.

Similar for the Championship. I think if Toronto lose their first playoff game, they shouldn't get home advantage in the final (should they make it). The team that qualifies first in Week 2 should get it (giving them an extra week to shift tickets for the game and giving the event a better chance of pulling in a good gate).

Although I think the final should be at a neutral venue anyway.

Archived