Tommygilf

Leeds to form Guard of Honour for Saints

Just like Ronseal this title does what it says on the tin. 

Having already secured the LLS last week Saints will walk out to a guard of honour from the Rhinos tonight according to reports. 

Exactly the sort of sporting gesture we like to see both in this country and in this sport. Though I'm sure those who agreed with Toronto being booed at Widnes won't agree.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/leeds-to-form-guard-of-honour-for-st-helens-21786/

• Like 7

I think this may be the start of a campaign of "respect the opposition".

Things lately have been getting totally out of hand.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Here's hoping the more unruly members of the crowd can hold their tongues during a place kick penalty or conversion....one ought to respect the kicker

• Haha 3

Ah! lessons from Ra ra.

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Honestly thought this was from the premier league

Tom, it was a comment regarding respecting the place kicker at a penalty or conversion kick.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Honestly thought this was from the premier league

At every Premier League match they now have the orchestrated system of every players having to walk out with a youngster and then line up to shake hands with each players of the opposition and the officials.

Could it now be that, because it has been happening at every match for years, the intended impact of it - to try and show respect to all - has diminished and people just take it for granted. Furthermore that "respect" then seems to vanish as soon as the referee blows his whistle to kick-off .... after which less deliberate fouling and rating at the referee would do more for their respect campaign ?

So, no, I hope such a system does not come into RL because we generally show such respect for both the opposition and the officials by the way our game is played.

Regarding the Guard of Honour by Leeds ... again, yes, a nice gesture, but rather than it being known about beforehand, I thought it might have seemed like a more spontaneous gesture if it hadn't had been advertised in advanced and Saints' had been unaware of what was going to happen ..... just an idea in case others ever wish to do something similar.

Edited by RL does what Sky says

23 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

At every Premier League match they now have the orchestrated system of every players having to walk out with a youngster and then line up to shake hands with each players of the opposition and the officials.

Could it now be that, because it has been happening at every match for years, the intended impact of it - to try and show respect to all - has diminished and people just take it for granted. Furthermore that "respect" then seems to vanish as soon as the referee blows his whistle to kick-off .... after which less deliberate fouling and rating at the referee would do more for their respect campaign ?

So, no, I hope such a system does not come into RL because we generally show such respect for both the opposition and the officials by the way our game is played.

Regarding the Guard of Honour by Leeds ... again, yes, a nice gesture, but rather than it being known about beforehand, I thought it might have seemed like a more spontaneous gesture if it hadn't had been advertised in advanced and Saints' had been unaware of what was going to happen ..... just an idea in case others ever wish to do something similar.

The fact that they had to mention the guard of honour was PR, if the game wasn't on Sky then it probably wouldn't have been mentioned as much, yes it was a touch of class but it's nothing new in rugby, we used to do it when I played at junior level for an amateur club,and it is the norm as far I am concerned. 

Unfortunately rugby league is on it's bum at the moment with attendances down and it will take more than a guard of honour to sort it out.

Edited by Rhinoferg
Language

43 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

No i meant the guard of honour for the team that have won the League, not any lining up and shaking hands before. 

There was a bit of talk this year that Man United would have to give City a guard of honour at Old Trafford but as results panned out that wasn't how it worked.

13 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

No i meant the guard of honour for the team that have won the League, not any lining up and shaking hands before. 

There was a bit of talk this year that Man United would have to give City a guard of honour at Old Trafford but as results panned out that wasn't how it worked.

OK, I see what you mean ... yet I think even that would be better if it was more spontaneous rather than "the usual" thing to do. It's like giving a present to your lady ... she probably expects them at Christmas, Birthday, Wedding Anniversary, but would be more surprised if it was just on any other random day (yes, mine too would probably wonder "What's he done for me to get this ???"" but that's another story).

I just feel that if such actions to try and show respect (handshakes, guards of honour) become premeditated and "the thing to do" then eventually the  original reason for doing it will become lost. As I said, we in RL show our respect by the way we generally treat both the opposition and the officials and we don''t need to have false ways of promoting it.

Edited by RL does what Sky says

36 minutes ago, Rhinoferg said:

The fact that they had to mention the guard of honour was PR, if the game wasn't on Sky then it probably wouldn't have been mentioned as much, yes it was a touch of class but it's nothing new in rugby, we used to do it when I played at junior level for an amateur club,and it is the norm as far I am concerned. 

Unfortunately rugby league is on it's bum at the moment with attendances down and it will take more than a guard of honour to sort it out.

I agree. Yes, amateur teams often do so but I think that's usually after a game, not beforehand.

57 minutes ago, Rhinoferg said:

We always clapped teams off the pitch at junior level but never on to it. 

I don't even think its massive PR I think its just a touch of class and a mark of respect to by far the best team in the league this year.

I genuinely don't think it has anything to do with attendance and Leeds weren't trying to sell it that way at all so don't know what point you're making there?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

OK, I see what you mean ... yet I think even that would be better if it was more spontaneous rather than "the usual" thing to do. It's like giving a present to your lady ... she probably expects them at Christmas, Birthday, Wedding Anniversary, but would be more surprised if it was just on any other random day (yes, mine too would probably wonder "What's he done for me to get this ???"" but that's another story).

I just feel that if such actions to try and show respect (handshakes, guards of honour) become premeditated and "the thing to do" then eventually the  original reason for doing it will become lost. As I said, we in RL show our respect by the way we generally treat both the opposition and the officials and we don''t need to have false ways of promoting it.

I know what you mean and appreciate that a lot of the 'respect' can go out of the window. However, teams wrapping up the LLS with so many games to go has been rare in recent years and its fine to demonstrate this respect to the minor premiers between the players in my opinion. 

6 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

We always clapped teams off the pitch at junior level but never on to it. 

I don't even think its massive PR I think its just a touch of class and a mark of respect to by far the best team in the league this year.

I genuinely don't think it has anything to do with attendance and Leeds weren't trying to sell it that way at all so don't know what point you're making there?

SKy were the ones selling it, and I think somebody said it was mentioned in the program? 

8 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

I think one of the things that both codes of rugby can be proud of is the conduct of their players (most of the time at least) when interacting with referees. It just shows that all the excuses made by footballers as to why they can't control themselves are a load of ######.

For me it's truly an awesome sight when a 6ft something hard as nails rugby player stands quietly before an official and accepts respectfully the decision to send them off.

I've watched so many times those opening seconds of the test in the early 2000's where Adrian Morley clotheslined the Aussie. "Adrian, it's a real bad one. You're off mate." He just turns and jogs off. If that was football he and half the rest of the team would be shouting and jostling and acting like spoilt brats.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rhinoferg said:

Unfortunately rugby league is on it's bum at the moment with attendances down

Based on what evidence?

Or are you just whinging because Leeds are having another cr8p season?

• Like 1

Half empty grounds isn't enough to tell you that the game is going backwards? Despite on field results Leeds remain the highest average gate with just over 12,500, I remember when you couldn't get a seat (or room to stand) in some grounds. 

There needs to be more done to promote the game and given the amount of technology around these days to spread the word,it seems that we are 20 years behind.

12 minutes ago, Rhinoferg said:

I remember when you couldn't get a seat (or room to stand) in some grounds.

No you don't. That has literally, and unfortunately, never been a problem in British Rugby League.

Leeds 14 Wigan 21 can't remember what year it was but that season I can remember a few games at Headingley out where it was a full house and you couldn't swap ends at half time like I used to do. Also old Central Park was usually full when big games were involved. In fact usually when the top 2 or local derbies were involved you had full houses.