Copa

Red Star Belgrade and League 1

Superb news, I‘ve been hoping this would happen since they entered the Challenge Cup last season. Not sure that many flatcappers will be pleased though 😃

I now live in Montenegro, and follow Red Star in soccer, so very excited with this news.

I went to the derby against Partizan last May and took along an English and  2 Serbian friends for their first ever games. All thoroughly enjoyed it. What was more impressive was every player was homegrown. 

There's definitely curiosity from the Serbs, with most of my friends being aware of RLK. The problem, as with Soccer and Basketball, is getting the numbers in as people just don't turn up  unless it's a big game. 

Really hope they can pull it off and the game continue to develop in the region.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Berkshire Bronco said:

I now live in Montenegro, and follow Red Star in soccer, so very excited with this news.

Maybe you should re-brand as "Balkan Bronco" 🙂

• Like 2

With such a low post count, I probably could! 

There's a team here in Montenegro...But finding information about them is a massive, massive pain as the Balkan Super League/Balkan RL aren't very active on social media. Would love to get involved.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Berkshire Bronco said:

With such a low post count, I probably could! 

There's a team here in Montenegro...But finding information about them is a massive, massive pain as the Balkan Super League/Balkan RL aren't very active on social media. Would love to get involved.

We should meet I’m living in Tivat , the Balkan super league is no longer I hear

1 hour ago, iangidds said:

We should meet I’m living in Tivat , the Balkan super league is no longer I hear

Oh tremendous. I might be in Tivat tomorrow if you want a beer, so drop me a message if you're about. 

They've announced last week on their Facebook it's operating this year, just they haven't been able to source a sponsor.

1 minute ago, Berkshire Bronco said:

Oh tremendous. I might be in Tivat tomorrow if you want a beer, so drop me a message if you're about. 

They've announced last week on their Facebook it's operating this year, just they haven't been able to source a sponsor.

Ok I’m here all day tomorrow, good to

have a chat over a beer

24 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

New york, Ottawa and Belgrade in L1 in 2021?

Tough ask for part time players 

Straight in with the negative, knew someone would be. 

• Like 3

Just now, Anonymouse said:

How will the heartlands part time clubs afford to compete and travel ?

Wait for details?

25 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Just now, Eddie said:

Surely it's a valid point if it is to all happen so soon ?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I think you will struggle to paint me as against overseas teams mate.

But it's the obvious question. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Or a great opportunity to travel whilst getting paid to play rugby,God forbid it inspires kids/youths to take up the game.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I think you will struggle to paint me as against overseas teams mate.

But it's the obvious question. 

It is obvious but why is it the first thought. It’s certain that the issue will be dealt with if RSB are to be allowed into L1, as it was with Toronto. 

34 minutes ago, Anonymouse said:

Surely it's a valid point if it is to all happen so soon ?

Yes and it will naturally be dealt with if they are allowed into L1. 

45 minutes ago, Anonymouse said:

How will the heartlands part time clubs afford to compete and travel ?

Why just the heartlands or don't Skolars, Coventry, Newcastle and the Welsh teams count?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Or a great opportunity to travel whilst getting paid to play rugby,God forbid it inspires kids/youths to take up the game.

I'm not sure that precludes us from addressing the obvious problem of co-ordinating 300 semi-pro players travelling abroad, if everything comes off, 4 times a year to 4 different countries on 2 continents, plus 2 trips to wales and a trip to london 

I'm not at all against Belgrade. These travel issues shouldn't stop them joining but we need to take it in to account when the game decides how and where to admit clubs

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It's great news for the game that Red Star are planning to apply to join League 1. However, with the possibility Ottawa, Valencia, New York & Red Star all in League 1 at the same time surely it's a fair point that needs to be looked at?                                                                                

I presume that virtually all the existing League 1 club players are part time - many with regular full time jobs. Getting the required time off work to make 4 possible overseas trips a season  may not be possible for many players.                                                                                 

I'm  certainly not saying that Red Star shouldn't be allowed to join - far from it. But real world logistical issues such as this need to be sorted out before we end up with a scenario where (for example) a New York home game is called off due to the away side not being able to raise enough players to travel.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It is obvious but why is it the first thought. It’s certain that the issue will be dealt with if RSB are to be allowed into L1, as it was with Toronto. 

And for some people it is a reason Toronto should be thrown out of the league.

It shouldn't stop Belgrade therefore a ssolution needs to be found

17 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

And for some people it is a reason Toronto should be thrown out of the league.

It shouldn't stop Belgrade therefore a ssolution needs to be found

Toronto nor any opposing teams have been unable to fulfil a fixture though, so not a reason to kick them out. If there had been any problems then fair enough.