John Drake

The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

42 minutes ago, Colin James said:

Is BC Super League standard? If not, why is this being allowed? If it is, then SL needs to up its standards.

It was recently a football league ground and has hosted premier league teams in cup games so i’m sure it will be fine for Wakefield for one game.

It’s quite dated in parts but certainly no worse than some Super League grounds.

1 hour ago, Colin James said:

Is BC Super League standard? If not, why is this being allowed? If it is, then SL needs to up its standards.

Wolfpack have played at BC twice already so will feel right at home , as others have said it is better than some SL grounds.

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

But it’s built, right? The press release refers to test events.

It sounds like it has been built

Toronto should be right at home in York

Toronto was founded as York. The large municipality North of the city proper is York Region. The York9 soccer club plays at York University.

On 21/02/2020 at 16:22, scotchy1 said:

What is happening with the shareholding is an absolute mystery. Currently either London are shareholders and SL are in breach of the articles of association which not only give them the rights to but the obligation to play in SL, 

Or London arent shareholders, SLE havent updated companies house and are in breach of the articles of association by keeping David Hughes as a director and not transferring that directorship to Toronto.

You’ll be pleased to know Bob Hunter has been appointed as a director of SLE, replacing David Hughes.

Asked before but not really had an answer. How are Toronto's home.away fixtures working this year. Last year nearly all away games were played first half of season and home games last half. This year?

According to John Davidson (RL journo) on Twitter, Stanley isn’t registered to play because it would then put Toronto over the cap. They have to offload players before they can register him. You couldn’t make it up. Noble has a lot to answer for.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steven Grason said:

Asked before but not really had an answer. How are Toronto's home.away fixtures working this year. Last year nearly all away games were played first half of season and home games last half. This year?

The league and other clubs have been very understanding of the limits the natural climate places on Toronto, and have created a practical and accommodating schedule that does backload the home games, in order to maximize fan experience, ticket sales, and quality of rugby.

Oh, wait, that was MLR.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Leeds just got a higher attendance on a Thursday night against Toronto than we did against Hull KR on a Friday, no away fans...

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Leeds just got a higher attendance on a Thursday night against Toronto than we did against Hull KR on a Friday, no away fans...

What was the crowd? Looked very sparse on TV. 

Just seen. 12413. Apparently bigger than the crowd v Wire last week, although the sta ds certainly looked nowhere near as full, but they may have been beneath the camera. 

On 09/02/2020 at 08:24, scotchy1 said:

And yet a confirmation statement has been lodged to say nothing has changed.

And you only have 14 days to notify them of a change in directors 

Its wierd that almost all.of your attempts to prove me wrong involve us just inventing indormation and imagining it is true.

I'm wrong that Toronto wouldnt have 11  home games in the NRL if we decide for no reason that they are going to scrap.the magic weekend.

I'm wrong about SL.needing 12 shareholders if we imagine for no reason they have consolidated the number of shares, or issued more shares and done this all in secret and arent telling anyone about it, 

I'm wrong that David Hughes is currently a shareholder of SLe as per companies house if we imagine that the confirmation statement stating that there was no change was simply a ruse to trick people, the list of directors is out of date and for some reason and with no evidence we decide all that has changed, in secret.

?

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

What was the crowd? Looked very sparse on TV. 

Over 12k something tonight was 11k something v KR

• Thanks 1

The only way to go is 'UP" for Toronto from here..we have hit rock bottom...we have them right where we want them now!  They have taken the bait and fallen into the trap.

"Run With the Pack!"

Edited by Kayakman
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Kayakman said:

The only way to go is 'UP" for Toronto from here..we have hit rock bottom...we have them right where we want them now!  They have taken the bait and fallen into the trap.

"Run With the Pack!"

Do you think this form will affect the attendances when they get to Lamport KM? Are crowds adversely affected over there with bad form? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kayakman said:

"Run With the Pack!"

I do admire your tongue in cheek optimism, Kayak. It may be absolute pie in the sky but it does make me chuckle. And never forget, you may not beat the Rhinos (or anyone else) on the field but there's always the jersey sales you might be more competitive with. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kayakman said:

"Run With the Pack!"

You are Muhammad Saeed al-Sahhaf and I claim my £5!?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Morbid curiosity Tommy, like the swan neckers on the motorway slowing down to see an accident on the other carrigeway.

But, please in all honesty what other than novelty value is there in enticing people to watch the bottom placed club in the division who have not won a game and up to kick of last night had the worst points for and the most points against in the league, perhaps it was in anticipation that Leeds would score a pan full of tries, and also recognising that after last week against Warrington after a couple of years of mediocrity the club is on a resurgence and those who have stayed away are returning, just a thought.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kayakman said:

"Run With the Pack!"

Totally admire your optimism K'man, the club as a team on the field is like the wounded animal backed into a corner, it has one last chance to lunge and bite for survival, but it will have to change it's stratergy and learn very quickly how to take evasive action instead of just thinking it can run over everything in sight, it has to learn new ways very quickly and adopt them, more of the same and they will soon be carrion for even the weakest to feed upon.

PS thought I would use a hunting analogy to best get the point across.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 1

Agreed, good on Kayak but even he must now rea;lise everything in the garden is not rosy at the club at the moment.As Harry says a massive swing in their performances is desperately needed to secure any win.Even on last nights Interview with Nobby he did not seem convincing to me on trying to paper over the cracks. If he thinks one win is going to send them on a winning streak then he is certainly deluded. This team will never go on a winning streak. They are just not good enough for S.L.

• Like 1

Makes you think they dodged a bullet with the game against Saint's last week, if the conditions had been better Saints would have been likely to have at least equaled that score.

I have always been in favour of Toronto because I feel that they were the thing most likely to drag the RFL into the 21st Century and make it relevant to today's society, a big, modern city with a young affluent population was a golden opportunity to move our game forward in the Northern Hemisphere. Unfortunately it looks like the thing that will stifle them most is old fashioned rugby smarts, how to build a strong durable playing roster. Irrespective of what could or should have been done to help them, as in the Catalan's model, what would have been their best move would have been to engaged front office staff from the NRL, horse's for courses may have been the idea but they were badly advised in coaching, football manager etc appointments hence the situation they find themselves in now.

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

Do you think this form will affect the attendances when they get to Lamport KM? Are crowds adversely affected over there with bad form? 

Not really, the weather is far more of a factor.  Remember that this is Toronto so we are used to long losing streaks.  I can only speak for myself and my Clan but we will be there!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1