Jump to content

The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Blind side johnny said:

Will the exclusion of spectators from sports grounds until April 2021 have any bearings upon the TWP considerations?

If it's not extensively covered in their business plan then I don't see how it can be taken seriously. (And FWIW, if they don't include how they will, if required, play the entire 2021 season behind closed doors and/or every game away in the UK with some kind of gate receipt sharing then I'd assume they didn't want to be taken seriously.)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites


10 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

If it's not extensively covered in their business plan then I don't see how it can be taken seriously. (And FWIW, if they don't include how they will, if required, play the entire 2021 season behind closed doors and/or every game away in the UK with some kind of gate receipt sharing then I'd assume they didn't want to be taken seriously.)

I have edited my original for clarity.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

How dare you. It took me upwards of sixteen seconds to think of something equally as based in reality as yours.

His comment was based on reality. It’s perfectly plausible that Toronto could have an exemption and Catalans relegated as the club second from bottom. Weren’t they one game away from relegation a couple of years back ?

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Derwent said:

His comment was based on reality. It’s perfectly plausible that Toronto could have an exemption and Catalans relegated as the club second from bottom. Weren’t they one game away from relegation a couple of years back ?

They were but fgs don't bring up who they beat to stay in SL, nobody needs to go through that again!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It will be interesting to see the reaction if they are given excemption , and the Catalans drop out ? 

International spots should be guaranteed and in any case a team with Folau, Maloney and Tomkins in are going to finish in the top half of the table so may as well worry about more realistic things.

Edited by Tommygilf
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

International spots should be guaranteed and in any case a team with Folau, Maloney and Tomkins in are going to finish in the top half of the table so may as well worry about more realistic things.

All of them ?

This could get interesting 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, GUBRATS said:

All of them ?

This could get interesting 

Guarantee spots for wherever you strategically want in Super league and let their national federations in conjunction with SL fill them. England wants 10/11 spots and P/R that's fine, no need to include any French or otherwise teams in that when they're in Super League for a different reason.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Guarantee spots for wherever you strategically want in Super league and let their national federations in conjunction with SL fill them. England wants 10/11 spots and P/R that's fine, no need to include any French or otherwise teams in that when they're in Super League for a different reason.

I completely agree , till somebody decides Wigan and Leeds should be excempt as well 😂

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

They were but fgs don't bring up who they beat to stay in SL, nobody needs to go through that again!

 

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Totally, but in the spirit of "everything is not all about Leigh" then I think its best to leave it in the past.

They can't leave us alone, I think it is one of those love/hate things with more emphasis on the love part. 

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

You brought it up 

 

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I didn't, I responded to another poster.

Total fib Tommy- say 5 Our Fathers and 5 Hail Mary's - if you are referring to Derwent all he said "wasn't Catalan one game away from relegation" you brought up Leigh even by name in your next post, you're just a stalker really. 

Edited by Harry Stottle
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Guarantee spots for wherever you strategically want in Super league and let their national federations in conjunction with SL fill them. England wants 10/11 spots and P/R that's fine, no need to include any French or otherwise teams in that when they're in Super League for a different reason.

Who is the you, certainly not me if it means a totally lopsided bastardised competition. I would welcome any number of French clubs with open arms just as long as they play under the same rulings as their contemporaries over here, Canada no, I don't believe transcontinental Rugby League has the right fit, we all have our own opinions Tommy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Guarantee spots for wherever you strategically want in Super league and let their national federations in conjunction with SL fill them. England wants 10/11 spots and P/R that's fine, no need to include any French or otherwise teams in that when they're in Super League for a different reason.

I've come to the exact same conclusion.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 3 years the Catalan Dragons were exempt from relegation saw them fielding a considerable number of French players (I did a thread on this a few months ago) I keep hearing all the time on here of fantastic new young signings however in reality where are they few and far between.

Sometimes I see 8  French players however 4 are on the bench and 1 starter is in reality an Australian with a French mother who learnt his trade at the Eels.

Main focus of the Dragons now is.

1/WIN SUPER LEAGUE 

2/AVOID RELEGATION

 

Where are the Thomas Bosch etc of this world now ?

Without a second French club (Toulouse) this whole sorry saga will just be played out year in year out.

 

* If not franchising at least a 2 tier SL

* Min of 7 French players in any starting line up

* Annual test v England (GB) in France every June 

 

In the early years of the Dragons the overseas players were Australian/New Zealand who had a great affection for the club (There were NO English players) IMHO this worked very well to encourage the local French players.

 

Paul

 

 

Edited by ATLANTISMAN
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Who is the you, certainly not me if it means a totally lopsided bastardised competition. I would welcome any number of French clubs with open arms just as long as they play under the same rulings as their contemporaries over here, Canada no, I don't believe transcontinental Rugby League has the right fit, we all have our own opinions Tommy.

You is the Super League, which should have always been separate to the RFL controlled competitions because it should explicitly serve a different purpose.

I see no point in French or Welsh or Serbian super clubs slugging it out in the English championship for virtually zero visibility whilst weakening their own domestic competitions. Our aim should be to make Elite 1 as strong as possible, with Super League above it, just as the championship would be positioned. 

English leagues for the English, French Leagues for the french, European leagues for the Europeans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

I completely agree , till somebody decides Wigan and Leeds should be excempt as well 😂

That may be the answer and the saviour of P&R? It may be called Super League but how many super clubs are there? Of the existing members there's Wigan, Warrington, Saints & Leeds who have won Super League and are still there. These would qualify as super clubs and be awarded full membership while ever they are winning the top prizes on a regular basis. If you include the Challenge Cup there's also Hull and Catalans, and if you also include the league leaders shield there's also Huddersfield & Castleford. Would you also give them full membership, or is that debatable? 

The remainder are just sitting tenants, and are no better than half a dozen clubs currently frozen out in the Championship. These SL clubs that are merely making up the numbers should only be given temporary membership and have no exemption from relegation, ie the lowest placed of those clubs should go down to be replaced by the top Championship club to make that competition vibrant and worthwhile. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, burnleywelsh said:

Which year was that....?? Every year is Warrington’s year and I’ve only gone and missed it...🤬

My apologies, they've been there or thereabouts so many times in recent years it's easy to forget they didn't win it. I'd still class them as a super club though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Quolls2020 said:

I wasn’t aware of the KHL, impressive range of clubs across a wide (time zone) area.

i think Prague has gone.

i will examine how they manage the time Differences in their schedules,
in super rugby, the time differences, led to a ratings collapse that forced them into local conferences which were not all that populate either. COVID has hastened that competitions demise.

 

the US contiguous time zones are not a problem As it is only 3 hours difference, an early afternoon game on played one side is An early evening TV watch on the other.
 

Super Rugby was an 11 hour time span...

Had a look at KHL, their method of conferences certainly minimises travel, and is impressive. Could not follow their tv coverage.

However  15 teams have left the league (most have been replaced) and from its peak numbers, that is a failure rate of 50%.

all (5) Western European sides (the most westerly) have gone. 
Riga, Latvia is now the most western based team.

Kunlun Red Star, Beijing based, teams current 2020 roster does not contain 1 Chinese born participant. 

Edited by Quolls2020
Addition
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...