Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
spanishknight

London on Sunday.

Recommended Posts

So close....thought we deserved something from that but it’s a big step in the right direction. Good backing from a pretty full main stand (my guess is the crowd was about 1500). 

Just needed a bit of game management, not sure why in the 2nd half we kept giving the ball to a forward to try and power over the line when our tries were both scored from kick throughs and making them turn.

Butterscotch showed up well, Bass did well, Scott ran hard as always, Marsh showed his class. Just missing that composure in the halves - what we’d give for a Cockayne, Murrell, Finn etc.

Ref - could’ve pulled London up for slowing down play, but both sides got away with a couple of suspect high tackles and I was directly in line with the kick through for Marsh’s second try, he was marginally in front of the kicker where I was sat which wasn’t picked up by the officials- just shows overall during a match decisions tend to even out.

Hopefully a morale boosting win against Rochdale, a competitive showing in front of the cameras against Fev (who were pushed all the way by unfancied Swindon today) then a big match at Oldham which will be a must win game.

Edited by AB Knight
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shadow45 said:

First time I've seen the "new look" Knights this season. We seem to be a five drives and kick team now? Pretty sure there was no line breaks today and the first 30 minutes when three soft tries were conceded cost us the points today. Good response after going 0-18 down to get back into the game but to many wrong choices taken whilst attacking/6th tackle. Plenty of room for improvement. Butterworh had a very good game and injected some pace into the Knights attack whilst he was on the field. 

Agree with this. And, at risk of being shot down again, i dont think we play a massively entertaining game right now - or, indeed, for the latter stages of last season. Appreciate Ford has to set up the team to play to their strengths but i like to watch the game to see moments of off the cuff skill as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/03/2020 at 16:00, JonT said:

Not sure new faces are the answer right now as i can't imagine there is that much available of the quality we need.

But what certainly is needed is a bit of a reading of the riot act, cos the effort isnt what it should be, followed by some honest self reflection by some of the squad. 

Last year was amazing but i think a few are still living on the legacy of that in their own heads. Plus the new names, that came with big reputations, need to start showing themselves as worthy of a place. I don't mind losing one bit when we've given it a go. Heaven knows, after more than 40 years watching York you get used to it. But i do mind watching the kind of display we had yesterday from players of this supposed standard.

This is where Fordy's man management has to prove itself. Reputations are made when your back is against the wall - and if we find ourselves nought from five then that is certainly where we will be. 

ok - rant over. Last time i vented they went down to London and won the CC game. Here's hoping for a similar effect! 😆

Crowd on website advised at 1364

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/03/2020 at 16:00, JonT said:

Not sure new faces are the answer right now as i can't imagine there is that much available of the quality we need.

But what certainly is needed is a bit of a reading of the riot act, cos the effort isnt what it should be, followed by some honest self reflection by some of the squad. 

Last year was amazing but i think a few are still living on the legacy of that in their own heads. Plus the new names, that came with big reputations, need to start showing themselves as worthy of a place. I don't mind losing one bit when we've given it a go. Heaven knows, after more than 40 years watching York you get used to it. But i do mind watching the kind of display we had yesterday from players of this supposed standard.

This is where Fordy's man management has to prove itself. Reputations are made when your back is against the wall - and if we find ourselves nought from five then that is certainly where we will be. 

ok - rant over. Last time i vented they went down to London and won the CC game. Here's hoping for a similar effect! 😆

Butterworth defo changed the game

Edited by HarrogateKnights
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least we had a laugh with the Norman Collier PA system , Butterworth deserved his ovation when he came off.

Good effort but we need a maverick at 6.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Third game of the season for me and it was an improvement out there yesterday. Saying that, I didn’t think London were any great shakes compared to Leigh and Toulouse. 

Don’t think we have anything to worry about, we can’t expect a season like last year, we punched way above our weight. We couldn’t have asked for a harder start to the campaign but there again, there’s no easy games in this division and that’s what makes this league such a competitive and interesting one. 

Think we all know we are short in the half backs, I don’t think since Charlie (Benny C) left us last season with his injury that we’ve filled the number 6 roll. Harris did ok, Ben Johnson just hasn’t had time to gel with Robbo as yet but he’s not a bad player, maybe it’s just the system we seem to be playing with it predominantly been a forward grind down the middle and kick at the moment? We do seem to be lacking a bit of flair and pace in our game if I’m honest. 

Thought Marsh was excellent yesterday as was Green and Baldwinson. New hooker looked decent and after the initial first 20 minutes we seemed a little tighter in defence. 

There were signs of better things to come in future games. You can’t knock our lads effort or commitment, we just seem to be lacking a bit of confidence at the moment. I’m sure Fordy will sort it out. I’ve every faith in him and the players to see us move up the league soon. We’ve just got to keep the faith and keep turning out and backing the boys. Over the years we’ve seen fans turn their backs on the club when results don’t go our way, here’s hoping everyone sticks with it through this patch as we have a club to be proud of on and off the pitch. 

 

Onwards and upwards to next week and the Hornets in the cup. Might be a good fixture to find our feet, get some confidence and take that forward into the championship in the coming weeks. 

 

  • Like 4

"Don't Waste Words, Jump to Conclusions"

Millican Dalton...1867-1947

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A fair few positives to be taken from yesterday but overall still lots to work on. We need to play to our strengths, I don't think trying to smash down the middle all day long is goin to work in a league of this quality.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Stirlin said:

At least we had a laugh with the Norman Collier PA system , Butterworth deserved his ovation when he came off.

Good effort but we need a maverick at 6.

Jarrod Sammut's got a handy spear tackle ! 😆

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Much better this week, impressed by Butterworth hope we can keep him for longer than the month maybe play him at 6 for part of a game, on to the Rochdale game in the cup, a game we should win on paper but as we know games arnt played on paper.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apart from the 15minutes in the first half we were the better side and probably deserved better,but what has happened to our goal line defence this season compared to the last 2seasons you could be pretty confident that what ever teams through at us on our line we would keep teams out and we need more pace in the side as i don't think we have anybody who could go the length of the field apart from Marsh

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, paul said:

Apart from the 15minutes in the first half we were the better side and probably deserved better,but what has happened to our goal line defence this season compared to the last 2seasons you could be pretty confident that what ever teams through at us on our line we would keep teams out and we need more pace in the side as i don't think we have anybody who could go the length of the field apart from Marsh

Sharp could easily if he got a gap. We do have some pace but defo right with goal line defence we seem to be letting in tries when last year we would have held them up 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...