The TRL Virtual Pub

2 hours ago, Shadow said:

I was in the “I think these northern chaps are in for a bit of a surprise” crew before the first match, and in the “I did not expect that” crew after the game.

the return match was less of a surprise in a League team wins At League Union team wins at Union style. 

The point is that RL was represented by journalists as a violent northern sport, played by overweight morons.  The BBC's equivalent of All in Wrestling (Jimmy Hill).    Peter Corrigan RU correspondent of the Observer was of exactly this view until he saw Widnes play .  He was Jonathan Davies's ghostwriter on Codebreaker.  And of course the Observer's Clem Thomas said the 1982 Kangaroos were the finest touring side of either code he had ever seen. Indeed when Terry Holmes signed for Bradford he even admitted that playing scrum half to John Woods's stand-off flattered Holmes's play.  By the time of the Middlesex 7's in 1996 the light was beginning to dawn on Union fans generally.  Of course the voice of Rugby Union for the general public would not admit it.  I don't believe he ever allowed the words Rugby League to pass his lips, at least not in public.  I recall his commentating on an England game, just after Phil Larder had joined Clive Woodward as his assistant.  England scored a try that involved a dummy runner. "Straight out of the RL coaching manual that try" opined Eddie Butler, his co commentator. Silence from Mr McLaren

Of course by the time of the 1996 MIddx 7's was played Jamie Salmon and Stuart Barnes had changed the record.  Wigan were winning because they were full time professionals (which many of them weren't)  and could train all day.  Not because they were better footballers.   Lose, lose you see.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Trojan said:

The point is that RL was represented by journalists as a violent northern sport, played by overweight morons.  The BBC's equivalent of All in Wrestling (Jimmy Hill).    Peter Corrigan RU correspondent of the Observer was of exactly this view until he saw Widnes play .  He was Jonathan Davies's ghostwriter on Codebreaker.  And of course the Observer's Clem Thomas said the 1982 Kangaroos were the finest touring side of either code he had ever seen. Indeed when Terry Holmes signed for Bradford he even admitted that playing scrum half to John Woods's stand-off flattered Holmes's play.  By the time of the Middlesex 7's in 1996 the light was beginning to dawn on Union fans generally.  Of course the voice of Rugby Union for the general public would not admit it.  I don't believe he ever allowed the words Rugby League to pass his lips, at least not in public.  I recall his commentating on an England game, just after Phil Larder had joined Clive Woodward as his assistant.  England scored a try that involved a dummy runner. "Straight out of the RL coaching manual that try" opined Eddie Butler, his co commentator. Silence from Mr McLaren

Of course by the time of the 1996 MIddx 7's was played Jamie Salmon and Stuart Barnes had changed the record.  Wigan were winning because they were full time professionals (which many of them weren't)  and could train all day.  Not because they were better footballers.   Lose, lose you see.

Don't be the pub bore. ?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

2 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Has that fella that sells the shady tobacco been in yet ?

Do you mean the Rizla Grizla or Speedy Weedy?

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, Padge said:

Don't be the pub bore. ?

Some one has to take on that onerous position.  Why not me?  I could of course be silenced with a pint of Ossett Treacle Stout and a Bushmills chaser!

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Just now, Leeds Wire said:

What time is last orders?

Latest government advice is 1st June*

*They didn't say what year.

4 minutes ago, Padge said:

Latest government advice is 1st June*

*They didn't say what year.

In that case, another pint of double diamond* and a packet of cheese and onion clock face please, my good man.

*Unless you've got Greenall's mild?

7 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

In that case, another pint of double diamond* and a packet of cheese and onion clock face please, my good man.

*Unless you've got Greenall's mild?

We are using the Greenall's mild and a stiff mop to kill off any lurking bugs on the floor

2 hours ago, Trojan said:

Compare with the commentary when a sleepless and battered Bradford won their Middlesex Sevens with greater ease. The commentators were Eddie Butler and Jeremy Guscott.

Eddie found the way that Bradford out-powered, out-stepped, out-ran, out-passed, out-thought and generally out-skilled the RU sides increasngly hilarious. Guscott started off sneering, then sounded more and more unhappy as the matches went on. :kolobok_biggrin:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

In that case, another pint of double diamond and a packet of cheese and onion clock face please, my good man.

In the 70's Double Diamond had an advertising campaign based on the DoubleD logo   At a Camra beer festival in the 70's I saw a badge that stated DDisK9P.  That is exactly my opinion of this beverage. I won't flatter it with the name beer.

Clement Attlee.

4 minutes ago, Trojan said:

In the 70's Double Diamond had an advertising campaign based on the DoubleD logo   At a Camra beer festival in the 70's I saw a badge that stated DDisK9P.  That is exactly my opinion of this beverage. I won't flatter it with the name beer.

Well played Trojan, cementing your position as virtual pub bore. Come on Fev.

Can't play darts someone has half inched the board.  I wanted a game of pool but there aren't any tips on the cues let alone any chalk.

If anyone wants a game of 5 &3 's I have just played the 5 /4 For 3 holes

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

3 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Can't play darts someone has half inched the board.  I wanted a game of pool but there aren't any tips on the cues let alone any chalk.

If anyone wants a game of 5 &3 's I have just played the 5 /4 For 3 holes

As the official pub bore, and pedant too, IMO this is a far superior game of doms

mexican train.jpg

Clement Attlee.

Getting on for 11pm, so we must observe tradition...

OI! DID YOU SPILL MY PINT?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

Getting on for 11pm, so we must observe tradition...

OI! DID YOU SPILL MY PINT?

You talking t' me PAL.

Just now, Leeds Wire said:

Lads, leave it! That Mexican fella looks a bit mental.

The one with the dartboard on his head pretending its a sombrero 

Archived