Just now, RL does what Sky says said:

I was there ... an excellent night.

Most thought Canberra would easily win... and even more so when going 12-0 up.

I've posted the BBC coverage before, but it is interesting to contrast it with the Australian commentary in this version. 

• Like 2

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

That Widnes team were a great team. For a few years there was a titanic battle for the league between Widnes and Wigan.

• Like 2

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

NZ Maori v GB, 1990.

• Thanks 1

• Like 1

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

Poor old Wasps...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Poor old Wasps...

Nah

23 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Would anyone know the oldest full game available on YouTube?

Full Game of What sport?

2 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

So this says it is ....

Thanks. I’ve seen some Mitchell & Kenyon clips of early Northern Union. They give a good insight into the playing style but they aren’t anything like a full game.

Would love to see full games of the 1950s French side and GB matches featuring some of the post-war greats of the 50s and 60s.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Thanks. I’ve seen some Mitchell & Kenyon clips of early Northern Union. They give a good insight into the playing style but they aren’t anything like a full game.

Would love to see full games of the 1950s French side and GB matches featuring some of the post-war greats of the 50s and 60s.

The first ever televised RL match was the 2nd Test of the Great Britain v New Zealand series at Station Road, Swinton on 10 November 1951. I haven't seen any of the tv coverage of that but this is just the Pathe News clip ....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Even if they were filmed in full, they'd probably have been snipped up for an edited report, then the tapes re-used for other purposes. The BBC did a lot of that, and home archivists suddenly stopped being demonised, when archives started being a valuable commodity.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

The first ever televised RL match was the 2nd Test of the Great Britain v New Zealand series at Station Road, Swinton on 10 November 1951. I haven't seen any of the tv coverage of that but this is just the Pathe News clip ....

Fantastic stuff

16 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Even if they were filmed in full, they'd probably have been snipped up for an edited report, then the tapes re-used for other purposes. The BBC did a lot of that, and home archivists suddenly stopped being demonised, when archives started being a valuable commodity.

Thanks. Good to see the great ‘Pure Bear’ in his 1951 pomp. Slightly surprising to see how often the ball was run into touch with unlimited tackles but talk about off the cuff, heads up rugby!

10 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Thanks. Good to see the great ‘Pure Bear’ in his 1951 pomp. Slightly surprising to see how often the ball was run into touch with unlimited tackles but talk about off the cuff, heads up rugby!

In 1961 the first ever rugby league game was televised in Australia. The game was between Balmain Tiger and North Sydney Bears. This was the first round of the NSWRL season. Tiger won the game 21 to 19.

Just the second half was televised.

Edited by RL does what Sky says

The oldest Australian televised match I have seen is this ... part of a game on 4 July 1964 between Canterbury and Souths...

(NB The heading on the video says "First ever televised game of Rugby League 1962" but that is incorrect ....  This was NOT the first as that was in 1961; neither is this match in 1962 - it is in 1964)

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

The oldest Australian televised match I have seen is this ... part of a game on 4 July 1964 between Canterbury and Souths...

(NB The heading on the video says "First ever televised game of Rugby League 1962" but that is incorrect ....  This was NOT the first as that was in 1961; neither is this match in 1962 - it is in 1964)

Great stuff. I think that’s the great Rex Mossop commentating. 

8 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Yes it is.

Tickles me at 14:15. Canterbury have been so badly walloped by Souths that the kicker can’t be arsed to put the ball back upright! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

I saw the old program for this game and read it...a local brewmaster who emigrated from Swinton and moved here has it...it was really well done and stood out as 'special' and it was neat to read.

• Like 2