Motorsports 2020/2021

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lewis wins with quite a bit to spare with Bottas second and Verstappen third.

Lando Norris put in another eye-catching last lap to overtake a few rivals and finish fifth.

Another sad day for the prancing horse as LeClerc hit Vettel on the first lap leading to both Ferraris having to retire with significant damage done.

Tomorrow, 8:45am, BT Sport 2.

MotoGP is back back back! :kolobok_cool:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

MotoGP: Marc Marquez went off while leading, somehow stayed upright through the gravel trap, then stormed through the field from about 20th.
Then, while going for a podium position, he highsided, landed on his arm and then got hit hard by the tumbling bike. Doesn't look good for the rest of his season.
A win for young Fabio Quartararo in the end, but most of the attention is, understandably, on Marquez and his condition after that crash.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

A bad one.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 19/07/2020 at 13:58, Futtocks said:

MotoGP: Marc Marquez went off while leading, somehow stayed upright through the gravel trap, then stormed through the field from about 20th.
Then, while going for a podium position, he highsided, landed on his arm and then got hit hard by the tumbling bike. Doesn't look good for the rest of his season.
A win for young Fabio Quartararo in the end, but most of the attention is, understandably, on Marquez and his condition after that crash.

With a shortened, crammed season missing or failing to score points will be crucial, I wouldn't be surprised if MM somehow tries to ride next weekend, if not it will make the championship more open.  With Covoid-19 case's rising in Spain at present there might be some twists to come yet.

Quest TV failed to show the MotoGP highlights at 6pm, due to "technical difficulties". They hope to show it some time soon, but don't know when. :kolobok_mad:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Clogiron said:

With a shortened, crammed season missing or failing to score points will be crucial, I wouldn't be surprised if MM somehow tries to ride next weekend, if not it will make the championship more open.  With Covoid-19 case's rising in Spain at present there might be some twists to come yet.

Like the days of Dr Costa strapping 'em up, dosing 'em up and sending 'em out again.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Like the days of Dr Costa strapping 'em up, dosing 'em up and sending 'em out again.

Having once highsided a 125 trailbike on a grass field landing clean on my elbow at about 30mph and then the next day had to ride my 900 home from the bike rally using the choke as a throttle as i couldn't grip the throttle due to the pain it amazes me what these lads (and lasses) can withstand and put their bodies through

How good were Verstappen's mechanics on Sunday to fix the car on the grid like that?! Very impressive stuff.

Hamilton exceptional again. Gasly had a nightmare all weekend. Albon showed some class. McLaren average really after the highs of Austria/Styria

Hard to really judge the rest as it is such a difficult track to overtake on and the shift from intermediates to slicks at the start of the race was pivotal. Haas finishing P9 for example. I felt sorry for Kvyat who clearly wanted to do what Haas did and go to slicks and would have finished well imo.

21 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Quest TV failed to show the MotoGP highlights at 6pm, due to "technical difficulties". They hope to show it some time soon, but don't know when. :kolobok_mad:

6pm this evening, apparently.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

For me the cream of motorsport is the IndyCar championship. Faster than F1, furious racing on all types of circuits,  road, street and oval.

Some spectacular action from 2019.

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Any news on SPEEDWAY 

YES sad old #### but I do like it:)

Paul

Looks like the Freesports channel shows a fair bit of Speedway these days.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Any news on SPEEDWAY 

YES sad old #### but I do like it:)

Paul

See two posts above!

Otherwise Polish Speedway has already re-started and Swedish league is about to.

British leagues are cancelled, but the speedway cup of nations is due to take place at Belle Vue in October

10 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Nico Hulkenberg called up for Racing point, could get his first ever podium

What a story that would be.

Red Bull could do worse than getting him in to replace Albon. It's a hard gig at that team but he's been so far off the pace at times that it's not going to be sustainable. They should just revert to a Schumacher/Ferrari style setup where there it's acknowledged that there is a first and second driver and the second driver is a safe pair of hands who knows his place and his role rather than a young kid being set up as a great talent but who will never be able to succeed.

23 minutes ago, M j M said:

What a story that would be.

Red Bull could do worse than getting him in to replace Albon. It's a hard gig at that team but he's been so far off the pace at times that it's not going to be sustainable. They should just revert to a Schumacher/Ferrari style setup where there it's acknowledged that there is a first and second driver and the second driver is a safe pair of hands who knows his place and his role rather than a young kid being set up as a great talent but who will never be able to succeed.

I don't know what to make of Red Bull right now and I think there are two things going on.

Firstly as you point out it seems like there is a serious case of 1st and 2nd drivers. Red Bull have history of this, see Gasly, Ricciardo, Kvyat, Webber. All 4 were the less preferred option at the team at some point and it showed. With that in mind, I don't think its then fair to blame Albon who is only a season and 3 races into an F1 career, let alone driving a leading car. 

Secondly, I don't think the car is as good as they thought it was. Its a different aero-philosophy to Mercedes but seems incredibly temperamental. Lets not forget the mighty Max Verstappen (who is one of my favourite drivers on the grid) crashed in the outlap in Hungary. Like I said it seems incredibly twitchy and temperamental and this is for both drivers too. If you're not entirely confident in the car its not a great start. 

Max is obviously a brilliant driver, but I get the sense that Albon is being made to look worse than he is here. I don't know if you've watched drive to survive on Netflix but once you get past the theatrics you can see a really cut throat set up at Red Bull. Equally on Sky a few weeks back his mate and competitor George Russell defended him too on those lines.

IMO Red Bull shouldn't go with an official 1st and 2nd driver scenario, but really need to stop it turning into an unofficial case of that too. They claim they want someone who can push Max Verstappen. Thats a hard task thats made harder by the working environment at the team it seems.

23 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Unbelievable finish with Lewis nursing a puncture around the last lap with Verstappen reeling him in all the time.

Lando Norris finishing 5th place with LeClerc in third.

Bottas sufferers puncture to dropping from second to out of the points altogether.

Flipped channels for a minute to watch the start of the SL coverage, flipped back again and all hell was breaking loose! Crazy end to the race but with Bottas being hit so badly it leaves Hamilton in a dauntingly commanding position.

Archived