Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
marklaspalmas

Championship/L1 restart numbers

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, marklaspalmas said:

Yes there has. TRL has a 2 groups of 8 plus semis and finals outlined as the potential format. It'll depend on numbers.

The RFL just gave that as an example. If there were 16 entrants, this is what might happen.

As you say yourself, it'll depend on numbers.


"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Logically your post should've gone on another thread then

I disagree.  It was relevant to this thread.


"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every day that goes by without a concrete decision on Toronto reduces the chance of this or any other lower tier competition happening 

We are already seeing players from Championship clubs being picked up on short term contracts by SL clubs who realise the highly compacted schedule they are looking at will test their squad numbers 

So we all sit and wait for Mr Argyle to decide what he is going to do ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, POR said:

Interesting reading, especially the bit about cleaning the stadium and seating. Club I go to hasn't had stadium cleaned since* . . . . . . . . 

 

 

* Though some seats do get washed when it rains.

 

"● spectator areas, including seating, concourse areas and toilets, should be cleaned more frequently than normal, including between each competition session,"

Edited by BJW
Addition

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BJW said:

Potential being the operative word. Until RFL has some concrete proposals then we're all just speculating.

So it's a chicken and egg situation ? , All ultimately tied in with an Australian billionaire ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Yes there has. TRL has a 2 groups of 8 plus semis and finals outlined as the potential format. It'll depend on numbers.

Like I say, no information from The RFL 

I realise its a bit of a chicken and egg but clubs need to have some idea of how many matches they might end up playing, for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

What if there's 3 ?

Might not be as many as that.

No promotion.  Crowds restricted.  Response from public unknown. Response from players unknown.  Handout from RFL might not cover additional costs.  Yeah, there's a few clubs who'd probably make it pay but there'll be a few who won't.   What'd probably kill it off would be for the central funds to be prize money.  Any club who didn't see themselves as in with a shout of winning some would probably drop out, leaving an unrealistically low number of entrants.


"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Like I say, no information from The RFL 

I realise its a bit of a chicken and egg but clubs need to have some idea of how many matches they might end up playing, for example.

The aim is to fill October and November, which is nine weekends.


"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So it's a chicken and egg situation ? , All ultimately tied in with an Australian billionaire ?

It is a bit chicken and egg in the sense that the RFL will have given clubs a proposed format (hopefully formats dependent on numbers entering) and the clubs will decide whether it is for them. The format will then change if necessary depending on how many enter and what is possible in terms of format based on numbers. If there are only 4 to 6 entrants for example we may see a double round robin mini league rather than what was in the e-mail TRL saw.

It depends more on SL and the RFL than Argyle at present. He has made his pitch to stay in the league at yesterday's meeting. SL and the RFL Board will now decide what they want to do about TWP. If their decision means for whatever reason that the 12th SL place for 2021 is vacated then I expect the Autumn competition will become a lot more appealing as that is the most likely source for deciding a replacement.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So it's a chicken and egg situation ? 

If I was a club director, it'd be more about the hoops I had to jump through to stage games.

The actual format of the competition would be very low on my list of considerations.  I'd just accept that it was a one-off tournament, unlikely to be repeated, cobbled together at short notice.


"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to float the idea, say it was played in 4 groups of 4 with top of group progressing to semi, followed by final. 12 teams that finish 2-4 in group get £13000, semi losers get £19000, final losers get £23000 and winnners £33000 ?

 


My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Every day that goes by without a concrete decision on Toronto reduces the chance of this or any other lower tier competition happening 

We are already seeing players from Championship clubs being picked up on short term contracts by SL clubs who realise the highly compacted schedule they are looking at will test their squad numbers 

So we all sit and wait for Mr Argyle to decide what he is going to do ?

Genuine question: why does the fate of Toronto affect whether the the RFL125 competition goes ahead or not? We know Toronto aren't coming back this year, if at all, so I'm struggling to understand the link.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BJW said:

Just to float the idea, say it was played in 4 groups of 4 with top of group progressing to semi, followed by final. 12 teams that finish 2-4 in group get £13000, semi losers get £19000, final losers get £23000 and winnners £33000 ?

 

I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if 16 teams signed up.


"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Like I say, no information from The RFL 

I realise its a bit of a chicken and egg but clubs need to have some idea of how many matches they might end up playing, for example.

TRL's info came from the RFL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Genuine question: why does the fate of Toronto affect whether the the RFL125 competition goes ahead or not? We know Toronto aren't coming back this year, if at all, so I'm struggling to understand the link.  

Because if clubs see this competition as a potential route to SL then they'll be more likely to enter it than if it is just a filler.


I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Griff said:

I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if 16 teams signed up.

Yes, that feels a tad ambitious.

From a selfish perspective, and let's face it all clubs are understandably and naturally selfish, the less teams, the more appealling this comp becomes. Sharing 250k between 6 clubs is much juicier than 16 for example.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Derwent said:

Because if clubs see this competition as a potential route to SL then they'll be more likely to enter it than if it is just a filler.

Surely this has never been suggested, even hinted at? You've just made that leap yourself?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Surely this has never been suggested, even hinted at? You've just made that leap yourself?

Yes I have but if they expel Toronto from SL next year then you'd think they would be looking to fill that place. Potentially winning this comp could stengthen a club's case for inclusion.


I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Because if clubs see this competition as a potential route to SL then they'll be more likely to enter it than if it is just a filler.

If Toronto do drop out - and I hope they don't - it's far more likely that clubs will be invited to bid for the twelfth place.


"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Because if clubs see this competition as a potential route to SL then they'll be more likely to enter it than if it is just a filler.

 

1 minute ago, Derwent said:

Yes I have but if they expel Toronto from SL next year then you'd think they would be looking to fill that place. Potentially winning this comp could stengthen a club's case for inclusion.

Ok, I get it now, thanks.

I think it's pretty clear there will not be any automatic promotion from this tournament - the RFL have said so, haven't they? 

As for making a case for filling the empty spot if that's what transpires, we must just hope the RFL/SL are crystal clear with the criteria for selecting the 12th team. They would be very unwise to link it in any way to this exceptional tournament in my view. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Yes I have but if they expel Toronto from SL next year then you'd think they would be looking to fill that place. Potentially winning this comp could stengthen a club's case for inclusion.

A logical thought process and I agree with you. Therefore extremely unlikely to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...