Touch/Tag Rugby League TTRL

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

I’m sure there will be one day. I know for a fact they have been looking at setting up a league in Newcastle.

It’s a brilliant game. 

Yes - enjoyed it here in Leeds for a few years. Really fun to play and the format makes for a nice social too. Might get back into 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Is it officially RL? Does it come under the RFL umbrella? 
Same question for touch?

Also is there any 40s age group leagues anywhere near Calderdale?

Tag Rugby is League affiliated / based (play the ball being the most obvious element). Touch I'm less clear on, seems maybe both codes offer their versions of that. Wouldn't let the age bracket become a deal-breaker - try it if offered and you will probably find the level OK / teammates welcoming, As with any sport, a handful who'll take it too seriously, but just the odd individual here in a really inclusive sport.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A little update. Great Britain won this month's British & Irish Cup 5-2 on categories (Men's Open, Women’s Open, Mixed Open, Mixed Seniors, Men's 30s, Women's 30s, Men's 40s). 

Ireland now leads the British & Irish Cup 7-2 all-time.

The 2023 World Cup takes place on 2-5 August in Limerick, Ireland. https://www.tagworldcup2023.com/

85 teams registered from:

• Australian Indigenous - 4
  • Australia - 14
  • France - 8
  • GB Exiles - 4
  • Great Britain - 8
  • Hong Kong - 3
  • Ireland - 12
  • Irish Exiles - 2
  • Italy - 2
  • ITF Alliance - 8
  • Japan - 3
  • Lebanon - 2
  • New Zealand - 1
  • NZ Exiles - 8
  • South Africa - 3
  • USA - 1
  • Vietnam – 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Wigan Warriors got beat by my lot the other week in the National Touch Series (no mention of League in the name and it comes under England Touch banner)

Fancy a game of touch in Cambs or Lincs? DM me 

2 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

An article on the RFL site and in Warriors News on here begins thus -

"Club foundations are counting down the days to the inaugural Premier Touch Rugby League event at Wigan's Robin Park Arena on Saturday 29 July".

Worth noting that the term "Touch Rugby League" is used throughout.

Good to see a touch comp associated with Super League and the professional game. Overdue.  

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/61965/lift-off-for-touch-rugby-league-at-wigans-robin-park-arena

• Like 2

There are unofficial tag games you can join every week in Leeds and Bradford.   Through the summer there is a game at Gildersome every Wednesday evening.   Free of charge.  All welcome. 

In winter there is a game at Bradford academy every Monday.  £4 a game.   

PM me if you're interested.

• Like 2

Selected cuts from an article on the Canberra Raiders website -

The Raiders Foundation is proud to help support local Katrina Fanning Shield player Lily Croker, who is part of the Australian Tagaroos Women's Open Oztag team that will compete at the International Tag Federation World Cup early next month.

Lily Croker, whose father is Raider #124 Jason Croker, will travel to Limerick in Ireland to compete in the five-day tournament which begins on August 2nd. There are 16 players in the open women's team, with five from the ACT. Lily currently plays for the Gungahlin Bulls and is striving to play for the Raiders NRLW team one day.

"I want to play for the Raiders, that would be the goal. I've still got a bit ahead of me but that's the dream".

• Like 2

23 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Selected cuts from an article on the Canberra Raiders website -

The Raiders Foundation is proud to help support local Katrina Fanning Shield player Lily Croker, who is part of the Australian Tagaroos Women's Open Oztag team that will compete at the International Tag Federation World Cup early next month.

Lily Croker, whose father is Raider #124 Jason Croker, will travel to Limerick in Ireland to compete in the five-day tournament which begins on August 2nd. There are 16 players in the open women's team, with five from the ACT. Lily currently plays for the Gungahlin Bulls and is striving to play for the Raiders NRLW team one day.

"I want to play for the Raiders, that would be the goal. I've still got a bit ahead of me but that's the dream".

Yes having watched nearly all of the NRLW games so far this season I don`t think it would be a stretch to say that a lot of the amazing passing rushes and intricate link play that we are witnessing have Touch/Tag Rugby League roots all over them.

Such a leg-up to the code that they can learn and master the passing, positional and support play aspects of the game before they move onto Tackle.

On 25/07/2023 at 18:12, unapologetic pedant said:

An article on the RFL site and in Warriors News on here begins thus -

"Club foundations are counting down the days to the inaugural Premier Touch Rugby League event at Wigan's Robin Park Arena on Saturday 29 July".

Worth noting that the term "Touch Rugby League" is used throughout.

On 25/07/2023 at 20:53, Man of Kent said:

Good to see a touch comp associated with Super League and the professional game. Overdue.  

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/61965/lift-off-for-touch-rugby-league-at-wigans-robin-park-arena

Can`t tell you how much that warms the cockles of my heart. Great stuff.

All I need now is for Head and Smith to get another 160 runs to make my evening complete.😜

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

I've played Tag Rugby for a few years and it's brilliant. Inclusive and caters to all levels, sizes, abilities and ages.

I would love to play Tag as went of Touch but don't see it in the North East ?

6 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Yes having watched nearly all of the NRLW games so far this season I don`t think it would be a stretch to say that a lot of the amazing passing rushes and intricate link play that we are witnessing have Touch/Tag Rugby League roots all over them.

Such a leg-up to the code that they can learn and master the passing, positional and support play aspects of the game before they move onto Tackle.

If the Aussies dominate in Limerick as they have at previous Tag WCs, I hope some coach or pundit points out that many of their players grew up playing junior Rugby League. Hence the League ruck and patterns of play are second nature. The same isn't true for players from Southern England or Ireland.

6 hours ago, The Rocket said:

All I need now is for Head and Smith to get another 160 runs to make my evening complete.😜

Commiserations.:kolobok_tease:

• Haha 1

Opening ceremony is tonight with two games being streamed live as part of it: Ireland vs Australia Men’s 30s and Great Britain vs South Africa Mixed Open. 

No link as yet. 

The Aussies are the only country to be fielding a team in all 13 categories from women’s 21s all the way up to men’s 60s and will be favourites for almost all. There are also four Australia Indigenous sides.

Ireland and GB are expected to pick up plenty of medals with New Zealand sending only one proper national side (although there are eight NZ Exiles sides). 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

The Aussies are the only country to be fielding a team in all 13 categories from women’s 21s all the way up to men’s 60s and will be favourites for almost all. There are also four Australia Indigenous sides.

Ireland and GB are expected to pick up plenty of medals with New Zealand sending only one proper national side (although there are eight NZ Exiles sides). 

Only one NZ team is proof that, despite the efforts of NZTFI to keep their distance, Kiwis recognize a League PTB when they see one. NZ would be better-resourced and sending more teams if Tag were associated with Union. No Pasifika representation this time either.

Looking through the list and wondering how many are heritage Aussies. Definitely Vietnam, Lebanon and Italy.  

Eight from France is intriguing. Think it's their first tournament. Obviously proximity is significant. Would be surprised if many of their players have Treize connections.

22 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Eight from France is intriguing. Think it's their first tournament. Obviously proximity is significant. Would be surprised if many of their players have Treize connections.

The French jersey has a wholesome look. Classic Treize chevrons.

Anyone know what the deal is with Tag in France? Where it's played, by whom, etc.

I've occasionally seen evidence of French RL Tag at junior gala events.

On 02/08/2023 at 13:30, unapologetic pedant said:

The French jersey has a wholesome look. Classic Treize chevrons.

Anyone know what the deal is with Tag in France? Where it's played, by whom, etc.

I've occasionally seen evidence of French RL Tag at junior gala events.

Speaking to one of the France contingent, it seems there’s about 500 players and 10 tag clubs who play each other in domestic cup type tournaments but no league.

Seems it started through French expats bringing it back from the UK and Ireland and that there’s no affiliation to either code.

There are families playing here this week, mothers and daughters (in their respective age categories etc). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A lot of the penalties seem unnecessary. It's often not obvious who initiated contact. Could just play on with no disadvantage either way. But the refs continually intervene. Like they're overseeing a RU ruck.

In a Lebanon v Ireland game a Lebanese bloke was blowing up big time at the ref. Several stern reprimands. Never seen that before in Tag. The Aussie men's open team didn't look best pleased with their ref either. They won comfortably despite the vexation.

I'm guessing the British and Irish officials come from Union backgrounds. The Southern Hemisphere players will come from League backgrounds. Could be a major Union/League culture clash. 

3 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

A lot of the penalties seem unnecessary. It's often not obvious who initiated contact. Could just play on with no disadvantage either way. But the refs continually intervene. Like they're overseeing a RU ruck.

In a Lebanon v Ireland game a Lebanese bloke was blowing up big time at the ref. Several stern reprimands. Never seen that before in Tag. The Aussie men's open team didn't look best pleased with their ref either. They won comfortably despite the vexation.

I'm guessing the British and Irish officials come from Union backgrounds. The Southern Hemisphere players will come from League backgrounds. Could be a major Union/League culture clash. 

I'm with you there. The way contact is refereed in tag in this country is quite frustrating. Benefit of the doubt is often given to the defender. I know it's officially a non contact sport but with players running at speed small amounts of non deliberate minimal contact is inevitable 

7 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Lebanon are aggressive bordering on intimidatory. I think it’s a ruse to influence the referee. 

Contact penalties are hard to ref. It’s usually accidental so it’s often a judgment call about who ‘had the space’. The rules state the onus is on the attacker to avoid contact (ie run into space, not the player) so that’s why the defender often gets the benefit of the doubt.