Jump to content

Promotion vote  

238 members have voted

  1. 1. Who would you promote to Super League

    • London
      40
    • Toulouse
      119
    • Featherstone
      44
    • Leigh
      16
    • Bradford
      5
    • Widnes
      8
    • Halifax
      6
  2. 2. Who would you promote to Championship

    • Barrow
      28
    • Newcastle
      168
    • Workington
      19
    • Doncaster
      8
    • Keighley
      5
    • Hunslet
      5
    • Rochdale
      5


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

More to the point, as I believe the Webmaster once put it, at what stage after 40 years of existance is London Broncos ever going to be accepted as a heartland club or is it forever to be tagged as an expansion side.

And if you cannot accept London as an established member of the Rugby League fraternity what exactly does it say about you as a poster, and the game in general ?

That's OTT. They invite criticism, accepting them as a member is one thing, thinking they are the best thing since sliced bread and deserving of an unearned elevation is quite another, if you care to note, hardly anyone, or no-one said anything when they earned it on the pitch. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Other than financial stability, more assets than nearly every club in the game, and a set of fans who rebuilt their ground into a stadium to be proud of.

Eh??? They rebuilt the bloody stadium ffs. Posted a fiscal surplus. Been in 4 grand finals in ten years. Own their ground. Have training facilities SL clubs have used. Embraced disabled and womens rug

I'm just loving the outpourings on this thread....  its going to go nuts when fev are announced.....🤣🤣🤣🤣

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Magic XIII said:

Above point results in disenfanchisement from supporters, (equivalent to Fev relocating to Manchester), The Valley, Griffin Park, Stoop, Orient FC (all very good stadiums), The Hive (not that bad) and now Trailfinders (sneaks into SL but far from acceptable). Think of the Stoop days over 10,000 regularly. That's not too bad, so demonstrates with correct marketing and a decent team bums can be put on seats.

This for me is London’s greatest problem. To attract and keep, a good solid supporter base requires correct marketing, a competitive team which has a realistic chance to win silverware but most importantly a decent, stable home. Being nomads does nothing for development, but land prices in London prevent the putting down of roots, so it’s cap in hand to soccer clubs who may, or may not be good landlords. Ironically if anyone can remember the heady days when people were nominating all sorts of North American cities for possible expansion (not that long ago, believe me!), there were a number of votes for Vancouver. Well apart from the extra travel time to the West Coast any potential club based here would have a similar venue problem, BC Place is big and very expensive to hire, Swangard and UBC Thunderbird Stadium are similar to New River Stadium but a big bigger and land prices are London like so no chance of building your own, it’s pretty much why there’s currently no MLR team here. What I am trying to say is that to really succeed in a new territory, wherever that may be, requires a stable home where you can base yourself to properly market the club, not be a nomadic club, which to be fair, accounts for much of London’s past history.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

More to the point, as I believe the Webmaster once put it, at what stage after 40 years of existance is London Broncos ever going to be accepted as a heartland club or is it forever to be tagged as an expansion side.

And if you cannot accept London as an established member of the Rugby League fraternity what exactly does it say about you as a poster, and the game in general ?

If you weren't born in the village you'll never be local :kolobok_beee:

Wibble

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

I am sure the selection panel will factor current reality - Fev squad is ok as is TO

You think this squad is ok for Super League? Cloud cuckoo land, Featherstone would need to sign just as many players as York, Halifax and Bradford.

Squad not good enough - https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/squad/

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DEANO said:

Yes but you haven’t been selected... yet

im talking of the likes of York fev Halifax and Bradford. Their squads are no way good enough for Sl. so they would have to get a whole new squad at short notice whilst fulfilling this years contracts?

I can't believe they have even let part time teams apply. The logistics of a part time team going full time in the space of about 3 months is far too difficult to comprehend. Like Deano says it would literally need a full new team. At Fax we have players who earn far more money playing Rugby part time and working than they would from a SL contract so you would have to find at least 15-20 full time players when most have already been signed up. 

For the teams that are already full time they would need to find at least 8-10 good SL players to stand a chance of staying up. We are in November, there are not that many good players that don't already have contracts for next season. Its a total farce and should not be allowed to happen that a Championship club is been set up to fail like this. It just shows the the regard they have for the Championship and its like we should be happy that SL are giving us these crumbs to feed off.


Anyway did I mention that Fax attracted over 33k fans for a CC semi a couple of years back? Get Fax back in SL.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Behave H you banged on for months about their players not being good enough.

I have as a collective in the SL Dav their results stand testament to that, a good comparrison if you will bear me out is the team Keiron (Jonah) Cunningham assembled at Leigh in 2018 spending clise to 1.7M on the cap, not one expert, TV pundit or scribe had that team anywhere but winning the Championship easily, but they were absolute pants, many of them when they left late in the season went to SL clubs and perfomed  much much better than in a Centurions shirt, we can assume all sorts of reasons for it, bad coaching, bad dressing room, personality clashes etc, but tgey didn't play well together, leaving Toronto could be a blessinf in disguise for a lot of thise player's tgat were there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I have as a collective in the SL Dav their results stand testament to that, a good comparrison if you will bear me out is the team Keiron (Jonah) Cunningham assembled at Leigh in 2018 spending clise to 1.7M on the cap, not one expert, TV pundit or scribe had that team anywhere but winning the Championship easily, but they were absolute pants, many of them when they left late in the season went to SL clubs and perfomed  much much better than in a Centurions shirt, we can assume all sorts of reasons for it, bad coaching, bad dressing room, personality clashes etc, but tgey didn't play well together, leaving Toronto could be a blessinf in disguise for a lot of thise player's tgat were there.

Nice story,even better U turn but you still called the players ######.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Magic XIII said:

Its pretty easy to trot out the same cobblers about London, 40 years this, a team full of Aussies that, small fan base, poor stadium blah, from folk who fail to think beyond the boundary of their town / village, of what life used to be like and hanker for those days; its hard to grasp the potential and yet difficulties that London bring. 

I would only judge London on the Super League era, before that it was ad hoc at best.

Moved far too many times to create any genuine roots - agreed

Above point results in disenfanchisement from supporters, (equivalent to Fev relocating to Manchester), The Valley, Griffin Park, Stoop, Orient FC (all very good stadiums), The Hive (not that bad) and now Trailfinders (sneaks into SL but far from acceptable). Think of the Stoop days over 10,000 regularly. That's not too bad, so demonstrates with correct marketing and a decent team bums can be put on seats.

From a club with a team full of Aussies, to a club with successful Scholarship programme, Academy, reserves this year and first team squad over 70% London lads. And think of the stars floating round SL McMeeken, Davis, Sarginson, Bienek, soon to be Butler,  LMS, Clubb, etc.

Genuine World class players have played for the Broncos in this time, Internationals, SOO players, McLinden, Hill, Dymock, Hetherington, Young, Carroll, Soward, Gower, Kaufusi, Offiah, Edwards, so can attract (or could attract big names), great city.

A true great supporting the club with his own money for years, a gentlemen who loves London and loves RL.

Not a bad playing squad now. Needs to be improved. But remember no one gave us a sniff last year and we won 10 games. Not even Leigh did that !

We might get up, we might not, but I just wish the broken record could be turned off.

Magic, initially you are disrespecting anyone from the heartlands accusing them of hankering for what life was like in the old days, then you proceed to inform us all how good London were, with the crowds they had, the stadiums the played out of, and the World Class players they attracted, are you not doing exactly the same and hankering back for those times you so easily accuse others of doing.

You also say in a "great city", but then point to ths nomadic experience having drawbacks and being akin to relocating Fev to Manchester, having and utilusing the name London can be as big a drawback as some say it is beneficial, London is a collection of different towns and districts all with their own identity and dare I say parochialism, I believe that trailfinders is in Ealing a place with a population of some 350,000, perhaps a name change that the locals could identify with a sense of belonging could be a good starter to improve attendances. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Magic, initially you are disrespecting anyone from the heartlands accusing them of hankering for what life was like in the old days, then you proceed to inform us all how good London were, with the crowds they had, the stadiums the played out of, and the World Class players they attracted, are you not doing exactly the same and hankering back for those times you so easily accuse others of doing.

You also say in a "great city", but then point to ths nomadic experience having drawbacks and being akin to relocating Fev to Manchester, having and utilusing the name London can be as big a drawback as some say it is beneficial, London is a collection of different towns and districts all with their own identity and dare I say parochialism, I believe that trailfinders is in Ealing a place with a population of some 350,000, perhaps a name change that the locals could identify with a sense of belonging could be a good starter to improve attendances. 

London Trailfinders?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Who had London need another name change to appeal to an even smaller amount of people in Post-Season Bingo? 

They need a home, permanant base, drop the London name and adopt the town they play out of.

Do you remember the Lancashire Lynx, a team based in Chorley the name resonated with very few dare I say it is the same with the London moniker.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

They need a home, permanant base, drop the London name and adopt the town they play out of.

Do you remember the Lancashire Lynx, a team based in Chorley the name resonated with very few dare I say it is the same with the London moniker.

They have a permanent base. There’s absolutely no reason why the moniker of London is what has held that club back. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Magic, initially you are disrespecting anyone from the heartlands accusing them of hankering for what life was like in the old days, then you proceed to inform us all how good London were, with the crowds they had, the stadiums the played out of, and the World Class players they attracted, are you not doing exactly the same and hankering back for those times you so easily accuse others of doing.

You also say in a "great city", but then point to ths nomadic experience having drawbacks and being akin to relocating Fev to Manchester, having and utilusing the name London can be as big a drawback as some say it is beneficial, London is a collection of different towns and districts all with their own identity and dare I say parochialism, I believe that trailfinders is in Ealing a place with a population of some 350,000, perhaps a name change that the locals could identify with a sense of belonging could be a good starter to improve attendances. 

I didn't craft my response particularly well, granted.

But my sentiment remains. Anyone who has a modicum of understanding of the trials and tribulations of London (some self inflicted and others as a result of prejudice and RFL traditionalism), and there are many, couldn't really conclude the 'project' is a failure. Today's Broncos package needs significant improvements, but like all other clubs in the frame, need the SL presence over a continued period of time, to enable further growth and development. I am not sure I advocate franchising, but cant see any other way of getting the stability needed.

Additionally, as long as big clubs can cherry pick the best of the Broncos academy work then we will always be on the back foot.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

You think this squad is ok for Super League? Cloud cuckoo land, Featherstone would need to sign just as many players as York, Halifax and Bradford.

Squad not good enough - https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/squad/

not quite FEV have better players than those three  yes FEV will need some signings but I'm sure  with the right training more players than you think could step up to SL could they keep FEV up who knows as a FEV fan I hope we don't have  to find out and SL choose someone else

by the way as we speak four of the 2021 squad are playing in SL and one in aus and for the record  that's not   the current squad you've posted

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

They have a permanent base. There’s absolutely no reason why the moniker of London is what has held that club back. 

No, what is it then Hela? yes they have a permanent base but the locals don't seem to recognise them that is not speculation that is fact look at the attendances, subtract the away fans who make a trip out if it and it really is dismal especially considering tte town they play out of has some 350,000, surely making them feel part of and belonging to the club would have a better effect than the name saying we represent 8Million, interestingly that is a million more people than populates the Northwest of Gt Manchester, Merseyside, Lancashire and Cumbria, Lancashire Lynx anyone?

I am making a suggestion that could improve the Bronco's lot, London clearly does not work, Ealing Bronco's may or may not work, but unless it is tried we will never know, will we.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

No, what is it then Hela? yes they have a permanent base but the locals don't seem to recognise them that is not speculation that is fact look at the attendances, subtract the away fans who make a trip out if it and it really is dismal especially considering tte town they play out of has some 350,000, surely making them feel part of and belonging to the club would have a better effect than the name saying we represent 8Million, interestingly that is a million more people than populates the Northwest of Gt Manchester, Merseyside, Lancashire and Cumbria, Lancashire Lynx anyone?

I am making a suggestion that could improve the Bronco's lot, London clearly does not work, Ealing Bronco's may or may not work, but unless it is tried we will never know, will we.

So what you’re really saying is they need to spend money on advertising and marketing the club. Nothing to do with their name. 

They’ve tried what you’re suggesting numerous times. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

So what you’re really saying is they need to spend money on advertising and marketing the club. Nothing to do with their name. 

They’ve tried what you’re suggesting numerous times. 

Not from a permanent home base as you are suggesting they have, but anyway your ideas of how London Bronco's can improve their attendances are most welcome, I have suggested one possible solution, what's yours?

And yes it has everything to do with their name in my opinion I have said so, how did you miss that?

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

No, what is it then Hela? yes they have a permanent base but the locals don't seem to recognise them that is not speculation that is fact look at the attendances, subtract the away fans who make a trip out if it and it really is dismal especially considering tte town they play out of has some 350,000, surely making them feel part of and belonging to the club would have a better effect than the name saying we represent 8Million, interestingly that is a million more people than populates the Northwest of Gt Manchester, Merseyside, Lancashire and Cumbria, Lancashire Lynx anyone?

I am making a suggestion that could improve the Bronco's lot, London clearly does not work, Ealing Bronco's may or may not work, but unless it is tried we will never know, will we.

Ealing Bronco's won't work. Not least because you don't need the apostrophe.

Also Ealing Broncos is an absolutely awful name.

Ealing isn't a town either.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Not from a permanent home base as you are suggesting they have, but anyway your ideas of how London Bronco's can improve their attendances are most welcome, I have suggested one possible solution, what's yours?

And yes it has everything to do with their name in my opinion I have said so, how did you miss that?

Staying at their home, Ealing Trailfinders, and not changing their name for the umpteenth pointless time is a good start. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Ealing Bronco's won't work. Not least because you don't need the apostrophe.

Also Ealing Broncos is an absolutely awful name.

Ealing isn't a town either.

Pernickety grammar aside, why not use the name of an area, particularly a large and well known one like that? It’s certainly worked fine for plenty of football teams, some of the most successful in the country in fact. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Ealing Bronco's won't work. Not least because you don't need the apostrophe.

Also Ealing Broncos is an absolutely awful name.

Ealing isn't a town either.

Sorry for the grammatical error Ginger One,

The name was nothing more than a suggestion to resonate with the local's of the area, does the all encompassing London do that, attendances suggest not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Sorry for the grammatical error Ginger One,

The name was nothing more than a suggestion to resonate with the local's of the area, does the all encompassing London do that, attendances suggest not.

Indeed, it’s pointless trying to resonate with 8 million people over such a large geographical area. I’d have thought it’s much better to try to raise support in the immediate area, where there are still hundreds of thousands of people. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Pernickety grammar aside, why not use the name of an area, particularly a large and well known one like that? It’s certainly worked fine for plenty of football teams, some of the most successful in the country in fact. 

Ealing isn't large. It's not particularly well know. And it's not necessary to use for the team's name.

Other than that, thumbs up.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...