Thu 12 Nov: SL: Warrington Wolves v Hull FC KO 7.45pm (Sky)

Who will win?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington Wolves
    • Hull FC

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/11/20 at 20:15

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

This is the Rugby League we’ve been craving for a few weeks. We were just ambling along in the last few weeks of the regular season, just about getting by and it was getting tiresome but it’s games like tonight’s that we’ve been waiting for. 

I do have to challenge this view somewhat, there has been some very enjoyable RL every week. Sure we have had to deal with plenty of challenges, but overall it has been very good. I don't understand the amount of negativity from many people (not necessarily you). 

One thing that needs to be considered for the future is, do people really want as much RL on live TV, particularly the mis-matches and lower table games?

55 minutes ago, BrisbaneRhino said:

So what's the consensus on Widdopp?

I used to think he was a class player but in the last few years at St George I thought he looked more and more like Ben Walker used to - can kick in general play and score goals and sort of looks 'classy' but actually delivers very little in attack.  He seems to be looking more and more like a player with all style and no substance. I know he's not a one-man team and Austin hasn't set the world on fire either, but Widdopp is just so disappointing. Can't think of a better word for him.

I don’t think the partnership with Austin has worked,to similar maybe but you do get the feeling he’s a fading force too.

Well done to FC. They will be very difficult to beat next week, and bead absolutely no resemblance to the side we played in the cup. In our favour, I think winning the LLS will take the pressure off Lam and the team, and increase the chances of our performing in a big knock out game. I think it will be a different sort of game next week, as we will probably make fewer errors and so the game may be tighter. Really looking forward to it. 

Was sorry that the Wire’s season ended with them falling short of their potential. Any chance that might be Price’s last game in charge?

18 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

This is what amazed me, tactical nous is needed but anybody can make exchanges at the right time to rest players who've put in big shifts.

And Mamo sat there as a spectator? It was like Wire were down to their last 17 with some of them carrying.

Robson didnt even get on at all, and price has form for doing this sort of thing. 

16 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I do have to challenge this view somewhat, there has been some very enjoyable RL every week. Sure we have had to deal with plenty of challenges, but overall it has been very good. I don't understand the amount of negativity from many people (not necessarily you). 

One thing that needs to be considered for the future is, do people really want as much RL on live TV, particularly the mis-matches and lower table games?

I personally thought the last few weeks were getting a bit stale and we were just ambling along waiting for the play-offs and the last round or two where we sent teams out without any official word on what they were playing for and how many games were left was poor. 

Yes, yes, we do. The obsession for “every minute matters” and other guff like that is more of the game lacking the self confidence in itself to entertain and attract a crowd. 

I have to say well done to Andy Last. He really had his team fired up last night, he seems to have got a good team spirit going. If they can perform to a similar level next week, win or lose, surely Adam Pearson can see he is slowly but surely turning things around at Hull, and it might be worth giving him the job for next season instead of going for a big name who has no affinity for the Club.

6 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I personally thought the last few weeks were getting a bit stale and we were just ambling along waiting for the play-offs and the last round or two where we sent teams out without any official word on what they were playing for and how many games were left was poor. 

Yes, yes, we do. The obsession for “every minute matters” and other guff like that is more of the game lacking the self confidence in itself to entertain and attract a crowd. 

I would personally be very happy with every game shown, but I think it would lead to more complaints about games like yours. At the moment, top 2 games each week shows higher standard games. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Oliver’s team lost, so everything was rubbish. I agree that we have had stellar matches, even many with little riding on them. The players have stepped when we all needed a boost. They always do.

8 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Oliver’s team lost, so everything was rubbish. I agree that we have had stellar matches, even many with little riding on them. The players have stepped when we all needed a boost. They always do.

Agreed. This is what I find frustrating, I think many of the comments about the quality of entertainment on show are based on politics rather than the actual quality of entertainment. I think it is unfair to those who are losing millions of pounds on this, and the players who are putting bodies on the line for reduced pay.

I personally think SL have done a fantastic job of getting to where we are and getting a season played.

10 minutes ago, Bod said:

As if Hull, Catalan or Leeds deserve to be anywhere near the title of Champions. Rugby League the laughing stock of British sport. 

Charming.

There are some very decent Saints' fans on here...and then there's you.

You should try RLFans, they're far more used to reading the sort of stuff you just posted.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

15 minutes ago, Bod said:

As if Hull, Catalan or Leeds deserve to be anywhere near the title of Champions. Rugby League the laughing stock of British sport. 

Seriously, go and do something else if that's how you feel.

I certainly wouldn't be a fan of a sport that I found to be a laughing stock.

29 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Hi mate, if you want to chat, @ me. 

The last couple of games were a joke. We went into a Saints - Wigan game not knowing what either were actually playing for. While it was still a Derby game and bragging rights were on offer, we didn’t know for definite whether this was the straight shoot out for the league leaders shield that it eventually become. For the biggest game in the calendar (the Hull derby definitely doesn’t count), it was poor. 

The standard and quality of the competition, aside from 3/4 clubs had dropped off a cliff through fatigue, disillusion and injuries/illness. While it was commendable that we’ve got to where we are in the season, we were ambling along in the last few rounds and the play-offs was the shot in the arm the game needed at that time. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I would personally be very happy with every game shown, but I think it would lead to more complaints about games like yours. At the moment, top 2 games each week shows higher standard games. 

I think there’s a difference though. We went into the last few rounds without knowing what was going on. Coach after coach, who on the whole have been an utter disgrace this year, called for the season to end or the play-offs to kick in, illness and injuries had wrecked havoc on a number of teams, teams were moaning that they had to play catch-up due to being successful in the Challenge Cup and the complete lack of leadership around how many games were left and what was being played for was embarrassing. I think all of that translated into a poorer product on the field. 

The games obsession with making event after event is a massive sign of a lack of confidence in itself to entertain. Not every game can be entertaining, sometimes you get a 50-0 in the same way you get a 5-0 in football. You don’t get calls for play-offs between Leicester and Everton, for example, to create events in the final third of the football season. Games can be entertaining between any combination of sides. Equally, they can be rubbish. That’s life. The game’s obsession with “every minute matters” is rubbish.

The play-offs were what was needed at that time. We’ve got them and the game last night, IMO, was refreshing. We knew what the reward and risk was for both teams. Excuses were put to one side for once and we got an entertaining game of Rugby League after weeks of uncertainty and moaning. 

12 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I think there’s a difference though. We went into the last few rounds without knowing what was going on. Coach after coach, who on the whole have been an utter disgrace this year, called for the season to end or the play-offs to kick in, illness and injuries had wrecked havoc on a number of teams, teams were moaning that they had to play catch-up due to being successful in the Challenge Cup and the complete lack of leadership around how many games were left and what was being played for was embarrassing. I think all of that translated into a poorer product on the field. 

The games obsession with making event after event is a massive sign of a lack of confidence in itself to entertain. Not every game can be entertaining, sometimes you get a 50-0 in the same way you get a 5-0 in football. You don’t get calls for play-offs between Leicester and Everton, for example, to create events in the final third of the football season. Games can be entertaining between any combination of sides. Equally, they can be rubbish. That’s life. The game’s obsession with “every minute matters” is rubbish.

The play-offs were what was needed at that time. We’ve got them and the game last night, IMO, was refreshing. We knew what the reward and risk was for both teams. Excuses were put to one side for once and we got an entertaining game of Rugby League after weeks of uncertainty and moaning. 

You seem to be pulling a few different points in just to complain about 'every minute matters'. 

This year they are not guilty of what you are complaining about, they have needed to stage games, and have been happy to play low key games on Tuesday nights etc.

I agree with your 2nd paragraph about not every game being a classic, but then you are the one complaining about the games, which is an odd contradiction.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

You seem to be pulling a few different points in just to complain about 'every minute matters'. 

This year they are not guilty of what you are complaining about, they have needed to stage games, and have been happy to play low key games on Tuesday nights etc.

I agree with your 2nd paragraph about not every game being a classic, but then you are the one complaining about the games, which is an odd contradiction.

I’m not. I’m complaining that we lost our way across the board. Leadership from above, the ultimate issue. 

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Tried and convicted by proxy, how insulting to imply that, Remember the old verse:-

Red sky at night a Leythers desire....................... Wiggins on Fire.

Just wait until the signs for the World cup at the LSV go up H, "Wigan/Leigh"

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

I’m not. I’m complaining that we lost our way across the board. Leadership from above, the ultimate issue. 

I think they were silly to change their approach after the regular rounds, it was unnecesary and we had agreed processes that we should have stuck to, but this only really fell apart at the last week, and we managed to stage a couple of Sky games and now have a strong playoff series to enjoy. On the surface that is all good, which is probably the best you can do this year.

Archived