London Broncos Moving Update

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

That doesn’t sound a particularly quick process, am I right in assuming that? And if I am, where are they planning on playing should this not happen before whenever it is that The Championship is due to start?

I agree but I'd suggest the agreement with Rosslyn Park is significant, particularly in the current situation of playing behind closed doors/limited capacity.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

That doesn’t sound a particularly quick process, am I right in assuming that? And if I am, where are they planning on playing should this not happen before whenever it is that The Championship is due to start?

If a club can't honestly answer the question, "Do you have a ground to play at this season?" then, even if it's the club I support, the RFL really shouldn't be allowing them to participate.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

If a club can't honestly answer the question, "Do you have a ground to play at this season?" then, even if it's the club I support, the RFL really shouldn't be allowing them to participate.

Rosslyn Park, no? Besides, Plough Lane isn’t ready yet. Still a building site and no ‘handover’.

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Rosslyn Park, no? Besides, Plough Lane isn’t ready yet. Still a building site and no ‘handover’.

Rosslyn Park is officially there as a training ground.

So ... no.

And a ground not being ready is a working definition of not having a ground to play on.

So ... no, again.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Not officially but...

Well, quite.

We're going to do a Toronto and get to the start of a Covid affected season and then aim to force the other clubs to accept something they wouldn't accept in normal times.

1 minute ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

The Broncos should have stayed at Ealing Wimbledon holds no interest for me sitting in a stadium with 7000 empty seats no thanks.

P

You took the words right out of my mouth. Broncos SL application approach should have had Plans  A and B, A for a super stadium fit for SL and B, in the event of rejection, remain at Trailfinders and use the year to sort out a move, retaining the playing groups under one umbrella and remove this b/s carry on. You couldn't make it up.

13 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Wimbledon have played at Plough Lane for about three months now. 

Yep, don't need to the full handover with no fans allowed to attend. I believe it's imminent anyway. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

4 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Yep, don't need to the full handover with no fans allowed to attend. I believe it's imminent anyway. 

The quote above says there's no planning permission in place to allow rugby to be played there.

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

The quote above says there's no planning permission in place to allow rugby to be played there.

We're talking about whether the ground is physically complete to allow sport i.e. not a building site, rather than planning consent which is a different matter. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

Just now, DI Keith Fowler said:

We're talking about whether the ground is physically complete to allow sport i.e. not a building site, rather than planning consent which is a different matter. 

Agreed. I was just re-raising the point that, for the Broncos right now, it's a moot point if they're not actually allowed to play there anyway.

Beyond hoping for their immediate extinction in a ball of fire, I don't much care what the situation is for AFC Wimbledon.

2 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

The Broncos should have stayed at Ealing Wimbledon holds no interest for me sitting in a stadium with 7000 empty seats no thanks.

P

Paul I usually agree with you, but here I will disagree. 

Having watched matches at the Gold Coast’s CBus super Stadium and Parramatta’s Bankwest Stadium with approx 5k fans and 15k empty seats, I can confirm there is a) atmosphere, and b) facilities to attract casual fans.

Looking at Plough Lane it looks like a mini CBUS or Bankwest. You’ll be surprised at how well such a boutique stadium holds the noise and allows for great viewing. 

Trailfinders needs upgrades that will never be forthcoming due to the residential area it’s in. May aswell move now to a great stadium and build things up IMO. Just don’t like JM run the marketing of the club...

44 minutes ago, dealwithit said:

Paul I usually agree with you, but here I will disagree. 

Having watched matches at the Gold Coast’s CBus super Stadium and Parramatta’s Bankwest Stadium with approx 5k fans and 15k empty seats, I can confirm there is a) atmosphere, and b) facilities to attract casual fans.

Looking at Plough Lane it looks like a mini CBUS or Bankwest. You’ll be surprised at how well such a boutique stadium holds the noise and allows for great viewing. 

Trailfinders needs upgrades that will never be forthcoming due to the residential area it’s in. May aswell move now to a great stadium and build things up IMO. Just don’t like JM run the marketing of the club...

Problem I have is that I was getting used to Ealing (And enjoying it) at Championship level its a perfect venue and even SL it was OK (Compared to Wakefield and Castleford which are appalling) at least Ealing is clean tidy with good bar and food outlets it had a rugby club feel to it.

Maybe as I get older thats what I seem to be looking for, which is why I enjoy going to Rugby League in France:) only large stadium I enjoy going to nowadays is Toulouse 2/3 times a year and thats mainly because their VIP is fantastic and that I know pretty much everyone there so good for a chinwag:) 

Paul

Our attendances at trailfinders were steadily going up but we had never reached a sellout. The best attended game was against Leeds I believe. I don’t see the point of playing in a more than half empty stadium either. We were doing well on the pitch and possibly the artificial pitch was a factor in that.  Instead of moving I would of signed up for 10-15years at Ealing and then invest in the squad. We could of put season ticket and ticket prices up if we started selling out the matches. The season-ticket price is exceptionally good value for London. Oh well.

The Broncos haven't threatened a 5k crowd in perhaps a decade. In the Championship, they've maxed at around 1.5k for the biggest fixtures. TFSG could easily be configured to provide 3.5k seats and 1.5k standing and the capacity wouldn't be tested, even in Super League. You could easily add a perimeter, give it an enclosed feel, and make it prettier for TV. But it sounds like we've fallen out with the landlord. The "not fit for Super League" reasoning doesn't quite ring true to me.

The ground is especially ideal for turning Championship fixtures into festival days involving the academy and community game with two 4G pitches and lots of room to spread out. And, honestly, the Championship is our likeliest home for a while.

35 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

The Broncos haven't threatened a 5k crowd in perhaps a decade. In the Championship, they've maxed at around 1.5k for the biggest fixtures. TFSG could easily be configured to provide 3.5k seats and 1.5k standing and the capacity wouldn't be tested, even in Super League. You could easily add a perimeter, give it an enclosed feel, and make it prettier for TV. But it sounds like we've fallen out with the landlord. The "not fit for Super League" reasoning doesn't quite ring true to me.

The ground is especially ideal for turning Championship fixtures into festival days involving the academy and community game with two 4G pitches and lots of room to spread out. And, honestly, the Championship is our likeliest home for a while.

This 

51 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Totally agree Archie Ealing I used to look forward to Wimbledon no thanks the whole area for me is depressing 😞

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Totally agree Archie Ealing I used to look forward to Wimbledon no thanks the whole area for me is depressing 😞 but thats just my opinion maybe it will be fab and I am proved wrong.

Being a bit selfish my daughter lives only 100m from Trailfinders so it worked well for me, I guess anyway that crowds wont be back until around June which is when I will be back from Spain.

Spoke to a Cricket friend today and the counties are only looking at minimum crowds later on in the season at present which I read as July onwards I hope not.

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

10 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Problem I have is that I was getting used to Ealing (And enjoying it) at Championship level its a perfect venue and even SL it was OK (Compared to Wakefield and Castleford which are appalling) at least Ealing is clean tidy with good bar and food outlets it had a rugby club feel to it.

Maybe as I get older thats what I seem to be looking for, which is why I enjoy going to Rugby League in France:) only large stadium I enjoy going to nowadays is Toulouse 2/3 times a year and thats mainly because their VIP is fantastic and that I know pretty much everyone there so good for a chinwag:) 

Paul

Yes I prefer intimate grounds with a good bar and the ability to stand pitch side too, but this typically only works for 1k to 2k crowds. 

I haven’t been to Trailfinders but some on here have commented that when it hits 2k the viewing experience is quite poor. 

It’s a tough one, but I support the decision if it aligns with a strategic attempt to gain promotion.

Archived