Leigh's new signing announced today is......

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

The Agars?

#### me Wellsy, it's Christmas day.

I'm gonna be having nightmares about 1983 all over again now.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 hour ago, yipyee said:

Also shame on leigh for not having an academy

Leigh have a cat 3 academy, they will be applying for a cat 1 academy when the next round of licenses are awarded at the end of next year. There is absolutely zero we can do more in the meantime without the approval from the RFL. If you want to shame anyone, shame the RFL for implementing a system where not everyone is allowed a proper academy.

6 hours ago, yipyee said:

My point is that theres a bias put onto Catalan where fans expect them to run their club differently to all the other clubs in the league.

Its bizarre. 

My comparison is slightly off however would a SL club pick up players from the championship or indeed lower (which is a goid comparison for the french leagues) or sign an international/ current SL player.

Also shame on leigh for not having an academy

The dragons don’t even give the French players a decent chance or run of games. Fair enough if they are no good but at least give them a shot.

12 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

Leigh have a cat 3 academy, they will be applying for a cat 1 academy when the next round of licenses are awarded at the end of next year. There is absolutely zero we can do more in the meantime without the approval from the RFL. If you want to shame anyone, shame the RFL for implementing a system where not everyone is allowed a proper academy.

Leigh will have a cat 1 academy up in no time. 

I remember being part of the first academy team back in 91 and our team of misfits put together with sticky back plastic blew Bradford and Hull KR away in days. If Degsy invests and Leigh get the assurances they need, the production line will be endless. Leighs gain will be Wigan, Saints and Warrington loss! 

4 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

Leigh will have a cat 1 academy up in no time. 

I remember being part of the first academy team back in 91 and our team of misfits put together with sticky back plastic blew Bradford and Hull KR away in days. If Degsy invests and Leigh get the assurances they need, the production line will be endless. Leighs gain will be Wigan, Saints and Warrington loss! 

Couldn’t Leigh target or invest in bigger towns and cities like Manchester or bolton for academy players?

1 minute ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Couldn’t Leigh target or invest in Manchester for academy players?

We did then. Whilst a majority came over from Leigh East or Miners, we has pockets from Eccles, Salford Oldham and Blackbrook. 

All gelled very well very quickly. The pull of turning pro though meant the Academy side lost stability which was a shame, even in them early days but some good pros played long years from that bunch of lads alone. 

Wigan were relentless. I had numerous phonecalls pestering me to change sides. Not good looking back at it. 

2 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Problem is there’s a few other bigger trawlers fishing in that area.

Then it is those who offer the tastiest bait Mackem, are you implying/suggesting Leigh should overlook lads from Leigh because Wigan, Saints and Wire have had a free run at the town's best for a while now? 

I actually look forward to the role being reversed and Leigh managing to 'poach' lads from those other towns, I actually consider that there is a strong possibility of that happening, those other 3 clubs hoover up the best lads from all over, I can see it that some local player's (from around up to 15 miles away which covers the 3 other clubs) signing for a club like Leigh may see it has an opportunity to get more game time.

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Then it is those who offer the tastiest bait Mackem, are you implying/suggesting Leigh should overlook lads from Leigh because Wigan, Saints and Wire have had a free run at the town's best for a while now? 

I actually look forward to the role being reversed and Leigh managing to 'poach' lads from those other towns, I actually consider that there is a strong possibility of that happening, those other 3 clubs hoover up the best lads from all over, I can see it that some local player's (from around up to 15 miles away which covers the 3 other clubs) signing for a club like Leigh may see it has an opportunity to get more game time.

I’m just suggesting that Leigh should cast their net further afield and maybe even in uncharted waters.

Areas like bolton and Manchester could yield big returns in the future.

I've never known a time when the best youngsters from the North West have signed for Leigh before Wigan, Saints or Warrington, academy or not. Pretty much like Salford they have always got the players that are left. That is not to say players don't fall through those cracks and develop later, the Stef Ratchfords and Chris Hills of this world, but let's not kid ourselves.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

I've never known a time when the best youngsters from the North West have signed for Leigh before Wigan, Saints or Warrington, academy or not. Pretty much like Salford they have always got the players that are left. That is not to say players don't fall through those cracks and develop later, the Stef Ratchfords and Chris Hills of this world, but let's not kid ourselves.

So nothing to worry about at all for Wire, Wigan and Saints if Leigh get a Catagory 1 Academy Licence Damien.

On 25/12/2020 at 11:27, Rupert Prince said:

How many fathers and sons have a cup winners medal?

The Fieldhouse's? Ryan won the NRC with us, I know John played in the 87 final which Saints lost but not sure if he won one at any point.

The Harrison's? Karl has at least one NRC winners medal but can't remember if his son was part of the Batley team that won the NRC or not.

Archived