Nothing on the telly

50 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Take it your Xmas day present of a DVD of Sunderland's greatest moments only lasted for 15 mins.....

Hey, there was a long credits sequence at the end!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

42 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Great time to be a Norwich fan though. Finished 3rd in the premier league and beat Bayern in Munich a year later.

You go to Munich?

No I was still at school then, no way I could have gone, the money for a start. Wish I had though, back then I thought we’d be in Europe loads, until we had one terrible second half to the season and went down. 

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

No I was still at school then, no way I could have gone, the money for a start. Wish I had though, back then I thought we’d be in Europe loads, until we had one terrible second half to the season and went down. 

Haha!! Still Being at school would be a problem 😉

Jermery Goss.

9 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

We got our revenge in the 1991-92 FA cup semi-final at hillsborough 😉

John Byrne and his blonde mop...remember it well.

Then Michael Thomas smashed home a 20 yard half volley in the final (followed by a clinical finish by Ian Rush)..cue ecstasy in our house.

8 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Haha!! Still Being at school would be a problem 😉

Jermery Goss.

Horrible name that.

Last ever goal in front of the iconic standing Kop....Jeremy bleedin Goss.

Great goal vs Bayern mind. Inter Milan were just a step too far.

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

I wasn’t there but I remember Bradford City beating Norwich at Carrow Rd (who I think were in Div 1) in the FA Cup 1976. They also beat Wolves at Molineux before being cheated out by eventual winners Southampton in the QF at Valley Parade. (Or was it the semi?) 

Don`t worry, I`m not stalking you. Just seen this.

That was the year of Malcolm Allison and his big hat. The semi was Crystal Palace/Southampton at Stamford Bridge. The Palace fans will have felt a bit safer than they had been two rounds earlier when the same ground was packed with its regular delightful inhabitants.

I was still in the grip of Man Uniteditis at that time. The Reds beat Wolves 3-2 in a quarter-final replay at Molineux, which means your memory is playing tricks. The final was beyond boring. If we had that level of solid tedium in RL, the aftermath would be diffidence, self-loathing, and suggestions for rule changes.

3 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Ah maybe the dementia is kicking in, I could have swore blind Bfd City beat Wolves on that cup run. In my defence, I was 10 and there was no internet back then (only dial up) 

The main thing I can remember about the final is David Coleman saying ‘1-0’ and Alex Stepney diving badly. 

It`s not too bad, you`re right about the Bradford win at Norwich and the quarter against Southampton (the loss that is, can`t comment on the "cheated" claim). The David Coleman recollection could be an informed guess. When did he not say "1-0"?

That fifth round Chelsea/Palace game I alluded to was a hooligan extravaganza with Jimmy Hill fulminating about a kung Fu kick on Match of the Day.

Since this is the `nothing on the telly` thread thought I`d throw this out there for anyone who has grand kids or kids, is it school holidays over there, and who aren`t yet too cynical, or even feel like watching  a flick yourselves that has a minor Rugby League reference in it.

The `Hunt for the Wilderpeople` is a Kiwi movie by director Taika Waititi, which is full of quirky Kiwi humour and a laugh from start to finish. Good clean humour perfect for young kids and great fun for adults as well. Look out for the `burger in the forest ` scene and the `no child left behind` slogan that the child welfare officer feels necessary to add every time she says something. Great little wise crack about the Warriors in there as well which is nice for the Leagies.

Thoroughly recommend for family viewing.

On 27/12/2020 at 08:44, Johnoco said:

I can remember Jimmy Hill ranting about that! 😆 I went to the City-Southampton game and although it didn’t directly affect me, there was a lot of scrapping that day too.

Bradford`s game down at Carrow Road should have been fairly peaceful, despite the loss for the home side. This was long before they had Delia revving up the locals with "Where are you? Let`s be having you. Come on".

15 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Since this is the `nothing on the telly` thread thought I`d throw this out there for anyone who has grand kids or kids, is it school holidays over there, and who aren`t yet too cynical, or even feel like watching  a flick yourselves that has a minor Rugby League reference in it.

The `Hunt for the Wilderpeople` is a Kiwi movie by director Taika Waititi, which is full of quirky Kiwi humour and a laugh from start to finish. Good clean humour perfect for young kids and great fun for adults as well. Look out for the `burger in the forest ` scene and the `no child left behind` slogan that the child welfare officer feels necessary to add every time she says something. Great little wise crack about the Warriors in there as well which is nice for the Leagies.

Thoroughly recommend for family viewing.

Not one for family viewing, but 'The Breaker Upperers' on Netflix is a NZ comedy that features a character who plays RL and aspires to get a contract with the Titans and move to the Gold Coast.

20 hours ago, The Rocket said:

The `Hunt for the Wilderpeople` is a Kiwi movie by director Taika Waititi, which is full of quirky Kiwi humour and a laugh from start to finish. Good clean humour perfect for young kids and great fun for adults as well. Look out for the `burger in the forest ` scene and the `no child left behind` slogan that the child welfare officer feels necessary to add every time she says something. 

Watched a few clips. I haven`t the patience for a whole film anymore. The young people of today get criticized for short attention spans, but the more mature consumer is not exempt from the habit of dipping in and out of things. The child welfare officer should be called Jacinda.

If we`re randomly chucking stuff into the mix, my favourite Australian TV comedies are "Kath and Kim", and a really obscure one from the 90s called "Funky Squad".

Apologies if it's already been mentioned in the past but I watched a film om on YouTube called The Last Winter. It's a rugby league story about two brothers who play for Newtown. There's one or two familiar faces in it. Matty Johns plays the role of team coach. It's not a Oscar Winner but is a genuine rugby league film not just a passing mention. 

3 hours ago, Rioman said:

Apologies if it's already been mentioned in the past but I watched a film om on YouTube called The Last Winter. It's a rugby league story about two brothers who play for Newtown. There's one or two familiar faces in it. Matty Johns plays the role of team coach. It's not a Oscar Winner but is a genuine rugby league film not just a passing mention. 

G`day mate, I think the movie you referred to was called " The Final Winter", I only know that because I googled " Last Winter....Rugby League movie" and  " The Final Winter " came up, I did recognize the actor on the poster though.

Initially I thought you were referring to Anh Do`s movie " Footy Legends " which came out a year earlier. Anh Do made his name as a stand-up comedian and now is a successful portrait artist. That movie is based around the struggles of a Vietnamese Australian and his dream of winning a local Rugby League tournament.

The NRL should have made more use of blokes like Anh Do, I heard the very popular comedian Marty Sheargold referencing Rugby League the other day in a positive manner, too many of the high profile comedians over here are afl supporters and boy don`t they let everyone know, they seem to mention it at every opportunity, it`s quite a powerful weapon in getting people on-side as people often like comedians, especially the ones that are actually funny.

Archived