TRL Helpdesk - CCTV

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a small CCTV system that ticks all of, or as many boxes as possible:

• Either wired or unwired system (as long as it doesn't guzzle batteries) but can be installed myself
  • Two or more cameras
  • Ability to receive text message or notification alert to phone
  • Ability to communicate with people at the door
  • Not easy to steal
  • Good quality pictures, night and day
  • Low cost/Good value subscription service
  • Ability to record any activity
  • Budget £100-200

Now that might be all pie in the sky, but anyone who has a system or the know-how to allow information sharing who could advise would be warmly welcomed to comment! 

For information, I have looked at the Blink and Ring systems with have mixed reviews.

Thanks in advance.

Be wary of kits advertised as unwired, though there may not be a connection between camera and recorder the cameras are often wired to a power supply

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I have had a 4 camera Hikvision wired system in for over a year . Stores video for 30 days( hard drive  ), runs around the clock . Had no issues . Can send video to phone and alerts . Fitted it myself , need to take your time with cable runs positions of cameras . Brand was recommended by a friend . Son  was needed to set up the tech side , took him 20mins . £200 for 4 cameras / hard drive storage

On 27/12/2020 at 23:22, henage said:

I have had a 4 camera Hikvision wired system in for over a year . Stores video for 30 days( hard drive  ), runs around the clock . Had no issues . Can send video to phone and alerts . Fitted it myself , need to take your time with cable runs positions of cameras . Brand was recommended by a friend . Son  was needed to set up the tech side , took him 20mins . £200 for 4 cameras / hard drive storage

i have something similar, 2 cameras at the front of the house and 2 at the back although spiders seem to constantly delight in covering the cameras with web as quick as you can wipe them clean, it is at least a deterrent  but as soon as a scumbag puts a black hood up its very hard to identify anyone and as soon as they are in the house they can just smash the hard drive or disable it another way, like i said a deterrent that may make them think twice and move on but thats all- update your external door handles and locks to unbreakable barrels and if you have any french (double) doors a "patlock" is a  good purchase for a bit more peace of mind

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

6 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

i have something similar, 2 cameras at the front of the house and 2 at the back although spiders seem to constantly delight in covering the cameras with web as quick as you can wipe them clean, it is at least a deterrent  but as soon as a scumbag puts a black hood up its very hard to identify anyone and as soon as they are in the house they can just smash the hard drive or disable it another way, like i said a deterrent that may make them think twice and move on but thats all- update your external door handles and locks to unbreakable barrels and if you have any french (double) doors a "patlock" is a  good purchase for a bit more peace of mind

Its part of our upgrade on security . Hard drive is in a very secure steel vault  .  If we did get turned over I really want a chance to get even with whoever thought its ok to break into someone's property  .  External lights are ok , ne3w back door  is on the list to do  . If they really want to be in they will . One camera  needs moving to cover a blind area I hadn't noticed .  

2 hours ago, henage said:

Its part of our upgrade on security . Hard drive is in a very secure steel vault  .  If we did get turned over I really want a chance to get even with whoever thought its ok to break into someone's property  .  External lights are ok , ne3w back door  is on the list to do  . If they really want to be in they will . One camera  needs moving to cover a blind area I hadn't noticed .  

DO NOT leave the key in the back of the door when you go to bed  or on a worktop, table etc opposite the letterbox " fishing" through the letterbox is another way the lowlifes operate as you sleep, drug addicts really dont have many morals when it comes to the next fix sadly  

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

I've installed a few CCTV systems in my time and, in spite of modern technology improving all the time, I would never install or recommend a wireless system.

That's just me, but thirty odd years doing what I do has taught me plenty.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

3 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

DO NOT leave the key in the back of the door when you go to bed  or on a worktop, table etc opposite the letterbox " fishing" through the letterbox is another way the lowlifes operate as you sleep, drug addicts really dont have many morals when it comes to the next fix sadly  

Good advice .Anything that makes life difficult for the low life #### bags that rob peoples homes and businesses is worth doing .  

On 30/12/2020 at 10:30, Cheshire Setter said:

I paid about £200 I think, for a Eufy wireless system. 3 cameras. Faultless so far, and super easy to set up. You can also talk through the cameras, if you need to address delivery guys etc.

Is this you? Note; Wee bit of language

On a more serious note, lock snapping is a real issue. I have these fitted on my external doors:

https://www.abs-secure.co.uk/pages/the-abs-lock-range

28 minutes ago, getdownmonkeyman said:

Is this you? Note; Wee bit of language

On a more serious note, lock snapping is a real issue. I have these fitted on my external doors:

https://www.abs-secure.co.uk/pages/the-abs-lock-range

😁

Yes. If the postman spends too long at the door, I remotely shout “Get back yer b***ard, I’ll break yer legs!”... 😂

An even better solution to the lock snapping issue is to hold the door closed with a bra strap.

I have a wired Logitech Circle.  It's wired and records to a cloud server, so no hard drive.  I use the window mount, so covers front garden and path to front door.  I'm in a flat so I didn't want a personal camera at the shared door.  The window mount covers the most likely entry point to my flat.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Archived