2021 Betfred Championship fixtures

And if I am honest I don’t particularly like the way they have decided the format.

For me it makes no sense whatsoever and I don’t think it will truly be a reflection of the competition.

Personally I think it would have been better for teams to have played each other once, and then split the division so top 7 play each other once and bottom 7 play each other once.

Whilst it is not perfect I think it is a better reflection of the competition.

This is a minor point, but the method of devising the loop fixtures would be interesting to read. Big "winners" are probably Widnes who have managed to be one of (I think) three teams who play both Featherstone and Toulouse  - the two strongest teams on paper, most people would say - only once.

It seems clear there's been some "seeding" going on in terms of who plays who only once, but I'm trying to work out how they did it. It's possible Widnes earned their "easier" schedule through their 2019 results (when they were penalised 12 points) rather than last year's truncated season, where they won three of their five league games. But Dewsbury finished below Widnes in 2019, yet after winning 3 out of 4 last season they have to play Toulouse and Fev twice, as do Oldham.

Looking more closely it seems that perhaps York and London have been bracketed with Fev as "seeded" teams, which is fair enough. And as has been said above, the main thing is that we play at all, so really I'm just splitting hairs, I'm just interested in the minutae of how it was done.

3 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

This is a minor point, but the method of devising the loop fixtures would be interesting to read. Big "winners" are probably Widnes who have managed to be one of (I think) three teams who play both Featherstone and Toulouse  - the two strongest teams on paper, most people would say - only once.

It seems clear there's been some "seeding" going on in terms of who plays who only once, but I'm trying to work out how they did it. It's possible Widnes earned their "easier" schedule through their 2019 results (when they were penalised 12 points) rather than last year's truncated season, where they won three of their five league games. But Dewsbury finished below Widnes in 2019, yet after winning 3 out of 4 last season they have to play Toulouse and Fev twice, as do Oldham.

Looking more closely it seems that perhaps York and London have been bracketed with Fev as "seeded" teams, which is fair enough. And as has been said above, the main thing is that we play at all, so really I'm just splitting hairs, I'm just interested in the minutae of how it was done.

I'd like to see an explanattion of how it was done.

Perhaps this system aligns with the way SL organises its loop fixtures.

Yeah we been drawn v Toulouse, Bradford, London & York twice haha not bothered though we've got a full quality top notch squad, not phased in the slightest. Would be nice to get a strength of schedule chart knocked up though. Find out whose been looked after. 

40 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Perfectly fair if you have playoffs at the end

League positions will be decided on the basis of % success.

Also the golden point extra time has been scrapped for 2021.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

38 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

League positions will be decided on the basis of % success.

Also the golden point extra time has been scrapped for 2021.

Leaves scope for cheating, sacking off a fixture against a team that could challenge you on field and blaming it on the obvious. We need to proceed though so not much to be done about it. 

13 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Play offs sort of work when it’s an uneven fixture list. Problem is you really need the same system for relegation and play offs to get in the play offs

Yeah a team could get relegated to the extreme danger land of L1 based on having a much tougher fixture list than a fellow relegation contender.....

Are we the only sport which combines loop fixtures AND relegation? All other sports with uneven fixture schedules don’t have relegation to my knowledge, in which case it seems a little unfair that someone could go down to L1 due to having a tougher fixture schedule.

Archived