NRL Match thread Round 1 2021

Very much a first game up for both sides, Storm started off like a whirlwind then lost their way as Munster faded from the game. Souths were off the pace but came back into it but made too many errors to put sustained pressure on. Both will improve as the season unfolds and both coaches have work to do.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Storm did their usual and came out of the blocks hot. Worked for them all the way through the playoffs last year. They blitz teams early and then rely on defence for the back end of the game. Souths were average and made way too many errors.

Thought Gagai and Arrow had very good games though. Lattrell was strong and showed glimpses but he seemed to be passing too early for me. I would have liked to have seen him take the line on a bit more rather than pass a few metres off contact. 

For the Storm, how good were Pap and Munster?! Had Souths D guessing nearly every time they took the line on. Ive said it for a couple of years now but I honestly think Munster is streets ahead of any other 6 in the game. Welch and Bromwich laid a good platform early on too and I though Brandon Smith had a very good game. 

Bunnies will get a lot better though. Cut the mistakes and be a bit more direct and theyll be a hard team to beat. Storm played typically well. Bellamy can turn rocks into diamonds. I do think that right edge of Reimis Smith and George Jennings will cost them a few times this year though.

rsz_1rsz_1rsz_2bulldogsbanner.png

Latrell Mitchell looks like he's over his recent injuries, which must be a relief for Bennett.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Harrigan said:

Storm did their usual and came out of the blocks hot. Worked for them all the way through the playoffs last year. They blitz teams early and then rely on defence for the back end of the game. Souths were average and made way too many errors.

Thought Gagai and Arrow had very good games though. Lattrell was strong and showed glimpses but he seemed to be passing too early for me. I would have liked to have seen him take the line on a bit more rather than pass a few metres off contact. 

For the Storm, how good were Pap and Munster?! Had Souths D guessing nearly every time they took the line on. Ive said it for a couple of years now but I honestly think Munster is streets ahead of any other 6 in the game. Welch and Bromwich laid a good platform early on too and I though Brandon Smith had a very good game. 

Bunnies will get a lot better though. Cut the mistakes and be a bit more direct and theyll be a hard team to beat. Storm played typically well. Bellamy can turn rocks into diamonds. I do think that right edge of Reimis Smith and George Jennings will cost them a few times this year though.

I noticed how secure and dangerous Mitchell looked during the game. Jai Arrow showed more fight and spirit than any other Bunny. He was really getting stuck in when Souths had a sniff of victory in that second half.

Munster is first choice half back for me. Tough and nimble. Papenhuyzen was absolutely stunning in that first half. I agree about Brandon Smith too. He is talented and of course keen to impress atm.

Surely there will be some work done with R Smith and Jennings to improve tactics and understanding.

Seen the re-run in full Melbourne great for 30 mins and uncharacteristically error ridden for the next 50 mins.

Wayne Bennett may be a coaching legend, but he has not won anything in the last decade. His role at the new Brisbane team, when the winner is announced, is more a case of buying brand Bennett, the legend rather than the reality of his coaching in the last decade.

Why are we not being treated to Cronulla and St George on Sunday. The shire derby is not as straightforward as it would appear on paper. If you recall Sharkies gifted the Dragons their first win last year and if they stay in the game, Sensitive Ben Hunt could well end up the winner.

I always iike the Shire Derby as its the closest Australia gets to what we take for granted here in the UK between the fans.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Funny old game first up.

The Storm were miles better in the first 30 minutes and then Souths were the better team for 50 minutes despite making far too many errors.

I'm with DavidM, I think the Rabbitohs have a lot more to give than that and will be a lot better this year despite only losing by 8. On the counter side, I don't think there is more improvement in Melbourne. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Very disappointed with Souths they just keep doing the same old block play time after time, Melbourne had it covered  easily until they relaxed with the big lead. Souths have no imagination in attack, they are going to have to rely on Walker and Mitchell, who looked very dangerous, to add spark.

Souths will be good enough to beat most sides this year but I doubt they will win the comp, this will be following the pattern of Bennett`s recent career.

Melbourne have gone to another level and they didn`t even have Harry Grant out there, they are the complete team with such variety in attack, very very impressive I thought.

I've got a good feeling about our game later. I reckon we can get on top in the pack for Averillo and Flanagan to get Cotric and Hoppa in space. Last few times weve played them Ponga has been head and shoulders above everyone else on the field. Without him it takes away a massive part of their attack. Just need Hoppa to take care of Best and I think we have a 10 point win in us.

rsz_1rsz_1rsz_2bulldogsbanner.png

Took my sister to her first ever game of Rugby League . 

She made a remark early in the game that Papenhuyzen does not look like much physically , then he dominated , and she says " wow, he is super quick. 

Safe to say she enjoyed it and i believe from next season I'll have her signed up as a season ticket holder. 

11 hours ago, Graham said:

No update yet.

Main concern for stinger/burner where nerves that run from neck/shoulder down into arm are compressed, can reproduce significant symptoms short term but most settle very quickly. Still we'll have to wait and see.

Best wishes Tom.

First time i have heard of this particular injury. 

Looked bad. 

I tipped SSR last night , i thought surely a dire run in Melbourne has to be snapped at some stage. 

But the Storm just keep producing. 

Bunnies poor start cost them , they will be top 4 from what i saw after that slow start. 

Great to have NRL back, although there were a bunch of first game mistakes that was a riveting game. Bunnies will be there or thereabouts as long as they hang on to the ball, Storm will again be around the top 5.

Wish I had more than the Broncos and Cowboys games to watch, sadly only 3 games shown on Sportsnet World in Canada, doubly annoying that all Union Premiership games are shown!

A few thoughts.

The penalty that took the Storm two scores clear was another of those marginal calls when a defender tackles a kicker. We could avoid most of these if we changed the back-to-one charge down rule. Defenders challenge the kicker because playing at the ball carries too great a potential cost. In addition to all the other disadvantages, the current rule too often brings the ref decisively into the game.

The nature of the FTA coverage is doing the NRL few favours. The lead-up play to the Hughes try was a perfect example. On Fox, Vossy was quickly on to it and captured the excitement. While on Nine Addo-Carr was almost up to halfway before the commentators realised what was happening and Gus had finished his extraneous ramble.

BTW, the original highlights package omitted Latrell`s try and had to be deleted. This means the YouTube views figure for the re-post is artificially low. Incompetence among the editors at NRL.com is another problem needing attention.

15 hours ago, Graham said:

Too many errors cost them dearly in that game.

15 hours ago, JohnM said:

Error strewn game

I don`t mind comments about errors if we understand that they are only details, factors, turning points. I suppose there`s a limit, but errors don`t necessarily make the game less enjoyable to watch. They are often a consequence of greater creativity.

The surest way to minimise errors is to take no risks and do nothing with the ball. This might be high quality for the bloke with a clipboard collating completion rates, but not for viewers and spectators.

At some point in this Knights/Bulldogs game, they should try replacing that bar of soap with a Rugby ball.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Half an hour to go, and it is Newcastle 24:10 Canterbury.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Graham said:

Dogs over but was that a saving tackle?

Good work, knocking that ball out of Katoa's hands.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived