Royalty free music

24 minutes ago, RoyBoy295 said:

Does anyone use any download sites for royalty free music. I have had a look and its a minefield of free sites that are not really free?

Not sure where you are coming from with this, but do you mean sites that give the artist sweet FA as opposed to the £0.003 to £0.005 per play that they receive now?

4 hours ago, RoyBoy295 said:

Does anyone use any download sites for royalty free music. I have had a look and its a minefield of free sites that are not really free?

There's the Youtube Audio Library - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCht8qITGkBvXKsR1Byln-wA - which is all royalty-free music for people to use without legal worries.

Or are you looking for free downloads of copyrighted recordings? Posting links to illegal music download sites on TRL is a no-no, and the moderators will let you know if you do so.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

What do you want to use it for? I get my home-listening music from cheap download sites which have no DRM on the music. I lost out bigly when Nokia music site folded. I had bought heaps of albums but then couldn't play any of them because, once the site closed, there was no way to verify the DRM licence when I wanted to play them so I'll never touch DRM musc again.

If you want it for putting on YT videos, I just use copyrighted music and let the music company claim the song. Since monetisation on YT has become extremely difficult, I wouldn't have made any $$ anyway.

I've used this site for their video clips but I haven't listened to any of their music  https://pixabay.com/music/

i have the sunday top 20 recorded on tape from 1980 - missed a bit of bowies ashes to ashes cos the play -rec button jammed- if thats any good to you?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

I use Epidemic sound, yes it cost money but it's easy to use and takes away any hassle.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

10 hours ago, my missus said:

copywrite last for 70 years so you could use anything from before 1950 without a problem

Currently 70 years from the death of the composer in the USA, so if you upload material to a US site, that law will apply. It gets more complicated with a song where 1 person wrote the music and another person write the lyrics. Further complicated by the fact that, at different times over the last century, the law has used the date of publication to calculate the period of copyright and sometimes the date of the author's death.

For instance George Gershwin died in 1937 but Ira Gershwin lived till 1983. So some of the music will be public domain from 2032 but not the lyrics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Term_Extension_Act

Copyright protection for works published before January 1, 1978, was increased by 20 years to a total of 95 years from their publication date.

This is why Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, written in 1924, didn't become public domain until 2020.

Also keep in mind that even if a piece of music is public domain, a particular version of it isn't. This could get very messy in rare circumstances like this:  I used to have an album of Ravel which was recorded using a piano roll on a player piano. Now the roll had originally been made by Ravel himself. So the possible copyright dates on that album could have counted from:

- the date(s) Ravel wrote the pieces

- the date he recorded the performances.

- the date the piano roll company produced that piece of product

- the date the album was recorded.

In short, just get royalty-free music and, if you post it on YT, expect one of the big music publisher's bots to claim it anyway because it recognised some fragment of the piece.

On 26/03/2021 at 19:17, shaun mc said:

Not sure where you are coming from with this, but do you mean sites that give the artist sweet FA as opposed to the £0.003 to £0.005 per play that they receive now?

Artists do not need to use those sites, though. It's not compulsory.   In any case, I thought that royalty free sites charge an annual fee in exchange for not charging a per-play fee.  Youtube make their stuff available free of charge.

2 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Who did the chart rundown in 1980? I seem to be remembering Tony Blackburn around then. 
I always used to fail to cut it off in time and usually ended up with a ‘Numberrr Twenee Twooo’ stuck on. #sensational

kid jensen

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 30/03/2021 at 07:58, JohnM said:

Artists do not need to use those sites, though. It's not compulsory.   In any case, I thought that royalty free sites charge an annual fee in exchange for not charging a per-play fee.  Youtube make their stuff available free of charge.

i read somwhere that your typical well listened radio station has to pay on average £30 per minute per song so if you have a well played hit played on thousands of stations there should be some money in it for someone.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

Just had a quick look on Spotify. 

Bohemian Rhapsody has had 1.456 Billion plays. 

Hanna Peel Tainted Love 12.8 million

Sex Pistols Anarchy in the UK, 57 million. 

Nick Cave Red Right Hand remastered, 50 million

Philip Glass Opening, 58 million. 

Quite a tidy sum of royalties possibly. Plus Apple tunes plays, too. 

5 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

3114 plays on Spotify required to earn an hours worth of minimum wage -April 2020 figures. 

I think it was the Christmas before last, Ellie Goulding got to number one with an unmemorable song.

Nothing new about that.

What was new was this bit: https://www.clashmusic.com/news/theres-a-curious-reason-ellie-gouldings-river-hit-number-one

Streaming is very often *very very* passive. More so than radio even. I do think that the services get away with murder with how much they pay out but also think it's beyond laughable that they should be close to equivalent to the good old days of physical copy sales.

How much would a radio station with 3,114 listeners pay out to the artist for a single play?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I believe Spotify have days or time periods where you can donate funds to your favourite artists. Not sure if it comes out of your £9.99 per month subscription or not. 

I'd favour being able to target how your subscription was funnelled to certain artists. It won't happen as it would be filed under 'too difficult'. I.e the streamers are making money very nicely as they are.

I regularly play stuff by a French band who I discovered mid 2017 at a festival. Of their top 5 tracks rated by number of plays on Spotify, 3 just break the 1,000 plays and 2 are <1,000. They've barely earned a tenner in 4 years. Places like bandcamp are much more beneficial at that level

See the quote from Roger McGuinn at the top of this page.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

See the quote from Roger McGuinn at the top of this page.

Okay, so how much would he earn from a radio station that played it to 228,000 listeners?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 02/04/2021 at 19:15, Johnoco said:

It used to be a lot more than that if you got a song played on Radio 1, back when R1 was massive. I knew someone in a band and their single got played on R1 and they got a royalty cheque for something like £80. This was around 1983.

yes the bigger the station the more they have to pay.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

Archived