Harry Smith re-signs for Wigan

9 hours ago, Father Ted said:

Harry Smith has re-signed for Wigan on a four year deal. A talent for now and the future.

Needs to be playing more minutes,should be partnering Hastings in the halves with Tommy sharing the hooking duties with Powell.

Unlike some on here, I'm still not fully convinced by Smith, despite his standout performances for England Academy. He played behind a dominant pack those matches and kicked the Aussies to death. His kicking game is his standout attribute. However, when looking at top halves, they also need to be able to take on the line and have a good running game. I've yet to see this so much in Smith. His defence also isn't the strongest but given his age and position, is less of a concern. I don't doubt he'll be a very good SL half but I'm not sold on him to the same level as some on here who sing his praises.................cue the WDL

26 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Unlike some on here, I'm still not fully convinced by Smith, despite his standout performances for England Academy. He played behind a dominant pack those matches and kicked the Aussies to death. His kicking game is his standout attribute. However, when looking at top halves, they also need to be able to take on the line and have a good running game. I've yet to see this so much in Smith. His defence also isn't the strongest but given his age and position, is less of a concern. I don't doubt he'll be a very good SL half but I'm not sold on him to the same level as some on here who sing his praises.................cue the WDL

Fair points. Think he needs more game time.

38 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I'd agree with that, he is certainly still unproven at the top level but to be fair hasn't had a great deal of game time.

A good kicking and organising game can go a heck of a long way. Paul Deacon didn't have much more than that and was an international. I'm sure as Smith gets more game time he will develop the rest of his game.

Brooks ‘ loves calling the shots and being the chief playmaker ‘ ... well yeh but you’ve had years to do it and never managed it other than in snippets . They need to cut him loose he’s never fulfilled his early promise

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Brooks ‘ loves calling the shots and being the chief playmaker ‘ ... well yeh but you’ve had years to do it and never managed it other than in snippets . They need to cut him loose he’s never fulfilled his early promise

He's also possibly the worst defender I've ever seen

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Brooks is the problem at West Tigers. They will always be mediocre with him calling the shots.

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Looks like he'll be coming to Super League then!

Obviously Smith re-signing for 4 years then followed by the confirmation of Hastings departure has been orchestrated by the club. It is also very likely that Leuluai will also retire at the end of the season so I expect Smith to get more and more game time as the season continues with a view to getting a starting spot next season.

Archived