2 Year TV Deal

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I have a feeling you'll never be happy, because apparently saying "loads have done loads" isn't exemplifying enough for you.

I have a feeling you're full of bull 

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its true batley have created a festival type atmosphere- sheltering  in a portaloo while its throwing it down is just the same fun

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Just now, graveyard johnny said:

its true batley have created a festival type atmosphere- sheltering  in a portaloo while its throwing it down is just the same fun

Yes Johnny , but it never rains when the Leythers visit the ' Mount ' , we don't want our cheesy chips getting soggy 😀

4 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Not sure if you're fishing here but I'm a Fax fan so not really bothered

I don't know, what you mean by fishing, but I'm not trying to draw you into a trap JM.

I'm merely confessing my lack of knowledge (or a failing memory) because, I was hoping you might have some idea, why Bullmania went away?

I remember the club seemed to be very popular at the time and very successful, but i can't remember (don't know) why it fizzled out.

Also, can you remember what it was about the match-day experience which might have contributed to the growth in the home crowds at Odsal?

Incidentally, the last time I was at Halifax, I watched Graeme Eady and Steve Ella (the zip zip man) face each other at Thrum Hall. I think Chris Anderson played for Halifax as well (?) Great game, great players, Halifax's heyday.

I enjoyed it so much, I bought a Halifax replica shirt as a souvenir . 

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

So as usual , we ALL know the problems , but nobody knows the answers

The answer is money, the problem is getting it.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

3 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

I don't know, what you mean by fishing, but I'm not trying to draw you into a trap JM.

I'm merely confessing my lack of knowledge (or a failing memory) because, I was hoping you might have some idea, why Bullmania went away?

I remember the club seemed to be very popular at the time and very successful, but i can't remember (don't know) why it fizzled out.

Also, can you remember what it was about the match-day experience which might have contributed to the growth in the home crowds at Odsal?

Incidentally, the last time I was at Halifax, I watched Graeme Eady and Steve Ella (the zip zip man) face each other at Thrum Hall. I think Chris Anderson played for Halifax as well (?) Great game, great players, Halifax's heyday.

The crowds grew because of cheap ticket deals ( so I'm led to believe ) and a winning team , when both ended , so did the big crowds 

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

You missed out Leigh getting a top draw stadium built ( yes they didn't finance it , but it got built ) 

They part financed it, though it wasn't their project it was Big Wigan's.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

5 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Have they ? , You've asked them ? , In the world of the ' RL fan ' , maybe it has , but in the world of the Wire fan , or the Leeds fan , or the Fev fan , has it ? , I'd suggest it hasn't , and I don't buy this we need to attract fans from the world over just to watch RL in general , we need the people of Leeds to watch Leeds , the people of Rochdale to watch Hornets , the people of Leigh to watch Leigh , to get that you need to bring in a " this is YOUR club from YOUR town " culture , irrespective of beer gardens and lots of the Bullmania stuff we saw 2 decades ago 

I've seen with my own eyes people frequent new grounds, attend fanzones, enjoy pre-match entertainment, change habits from one bar to another, and so on. 

Times change, no matter how much you claim it hasn't. 

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I've seen with my own eyes people frequent new grounds, attend fanzones, enjoy pre-match entertainment, change habits from one bar to another, and so on. 

Finance doesn't always come in cash pound notes.

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The classic for RL is Magic Weekend, Edinburgh had it off to a tee, Newcastle has it great, but Manchester City got it wrong by treating RL fans like soccer morons. 

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Fans go to the pubs in Headingley rather than drink in the ground not because they are fantastic drinking establishments (most are a bit soulless imo), but because they can get a drink or food that is nice and reasonably priced.

You may not like it but someone moderately high up at Leeds told me they believe more fans stick around before or after games at Headingley than at other clubs in the league - which tallies with my limited observations.

2 hours ago, emesssea said:

Yes they do, on any given week I and every single other person outside of the UK can watch the 3 pm match of our choice (back when there were multiple 3 pm matches). Its just some old blackout rule that prevents UK fans from being able to watch (whether it actually protects lower league attendance makes for an interesting debate)

It isn't the blackout rule. All Prem league games are not sold for the UK market outside 2 rounds (iirc). 

As I say, it's not really a thing in the UK. 

4 minutes ago, M j M said:

You may not like it but someone moderately high up at Leeds told me they believe more fans stick around before or after games at Headingley than at other clubs in the league - which tallies with my limited observations.

In the Long Bar yes I can see that, but that said what are you comparing with?

If 200 people stay in the Long Bar and Carnegie lounge (being very generous) that's tiny - and even then that is only for Gold Members.

22 minutes ago, Dave T said:

' people ' ? , Were these new fans ? , Or old returning fans ? , Certainly a new stadium can bring in new fans , but that's hardly what we're discussing here , not something we can do each week is it ? 

Nobody is saying some pre match isn't a good thing , but seriously ?

Fan zones ? , At regular games ? , Do Wire have them ? 

Yes times change , but habits die hard 

2 hours ago, fighting irish said:

I think it was a combination of a winning team, aggressive marketing, and making each game feel like an event. I remember them taking some Halifax fans at the time too! There weren't many tears shed in Halifax when it did fizzle out.

Think it was basically them going bust and also the man behind it all leaving the club.

I have fond memories of standing in the scratching shed at Thrum Hall in the late 80s, early 90s. One of my favourite games was when we give the Kangaroos a bit of a tough game

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

In the Long Bar yes I can see that, but that said what are you comparing with?

If 200 people stay in the Long Bar and Carnegie lounge (being very generous) that's tiny - and even then that is only for Gold Members.

It isn't all about how much money goes across the bar, there is a lot more going on than getting a load of neck oil down.

25 minutes ago, Padge said:

The classic for RL is Magic Weekend, Edinburgh had it off to a tee, Newcastle has it great, but Manchester City got it wrong by treating RL fans like soccer morons. 

Is the magic weekend a regular fixture at a RL club stadium ? , Where adding extras to the game will bring in new fans ? , You know , like the subject we're discussing ? 

3 minutes ago, Padge said:

It isn't all about how much money goes across the bar, there is a lot more going on than getting a load of neck oil down.

Absolutely, like I said though I think a hell of a lot of very good work goes into the corporate stuff at Headingley, which is fantastic, but that has left the rest of the matchday experience somewhat wanting.

14 minutes ago, M j M said:

Probably due to the layout at Leeds , rather than more modern stadia , like having a cricket ground attached to the side with open areas 

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

' people ' ? , Were these new fans ? , Or old returning fans ? , Certainly a new stadium can bring in new fans , but that's hardly what we're discussing here , not something we can do each week is it ? 

If they are new or existing fans, no matter, the fan one is doing the job. If new, great, if old, maybe they aren't as stuck on their ways as you suggest. 

But why are you getting stuck on fanzones? It's the whole package, the fireworks, the music, the light shows, the food and drink, the facilities, the kids rugby, dancing, whatever, it isn't just an 80 minute event. 

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

If they are new or existing fans, no matter, the fan one is doing the job. If new, great, if old, maybe they aren't as stuck on their ways as you suggest. 

But why are you getting stuck on fanzones? It's the whole package, the fireworks, the music, the light shows, the food and drink, the facilities, the kids rugby, dancing, whatever, it isn't just an 80 minute event. 

6 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

I think it was a combination of a winning team, aggressive marketing, and making each game feel like an event. I remember them taking some Halifax fans at the time too! There weren't many tears shed in Halifax when it did fizzle out.

Think it was basically them going bust and also the man behind it all leaving the club.

I have fond memories of standing in the scratching shed at Thrum Hall in the late 80s, early 90s. One of my favourite games was when we give the Kangaroos a bit of a tough game

So not sustainable as it was losing money 

Archived