Jump to content

Match Thread: Championship Round 15, Featherstone Rovers v Toulouse Sunday-1st-August-2021


Recommended Posts

We've had some big games recently, but this is as big as they come. Unbeaten Fev (13 wins) v unbeaten Toulouse (9 wins) to pput themselves in pole position for the end of season run in and the playoffs. Many people's bet for the Grand final fixture come October, this will be the first (and almost certainly only) meeting between Rovers and Olympique in 2021 before any possible GF. Let's hope there's a nice big vocal crowd turn up.

Huge win at Bradford in a very loseable game on the back of Wembley, with a reshuffled team against fired-up oppoistion.

Now Fev 2021 are on the verge of yet another club record. 13 straight wins in the league this season plus 4 from the aborted 2020 season mean that this side has equalled the all time winning run for LEAGUE matches at 17. This record was set by the 2011/2012 squad.

Yes, that's right. James Webster has NEVER LOST a league game as Fev coach. (Won 23 out of 24 in all matches in charge).

Who will be in, and who's not for Fev?

With Dagger on loan and new addition Gadwin Springer, Rovers now have a squad of 31 players.

Of the 17 who played at Bradford, we have no reports of injuries or unavailability. Of the 13 who missed that game, we had:

3 Injured Players: Bussey, Minns, Day

Of these, only Bussey seems to be in the running to return any time soon.

7 Covid related Absence: Holmes, Jones, Parata, Moors, Dagger, Ferguson, Beckett.

Like everything else with covid, I am at a loss to explain what the hell is happening here, but presumably/hopefully some of these will be ready to play.

2 Rested/Not selected: Kopczak, Sweeting

I assume these will be available.

1 Suspended: Blackmore

I think I'm right in saying Toulouse is the last match of Ben's lengthy ban.

Any inside info more than welcome. 21 man squad (if we have that many players) announced on Friday.

Edited by marklaspalmas
Link to comment
Share on other sites


9 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

7 Covid related Absence: Holmes, Jones, Parata, Moors, Dagger, Ferguson, Beckett.

Like everything else with covid, I am at a loss to explain what the hell is happening here, but presumably/hopefully some of these will be ready to play.

 

This is just my guesswork so I could be wrong but my theory is most of them should be ok.

Unless I'm mistaken the rule after a positive Covid test is 10 days' self-isolation followed by the 7-day return-to- play protocol making 17 days before they can actually play again.

It was announced at around 9.30am on Wednesday 15th July that we had a number of positive Covid tests at the club. Presumably most of them took place on or before Tuesday 14th July (perhaps at training that night?).

After the team travelled to Hull for PCR tests on Thursday 16th July it was announced that no more players had tested positive. For that reason, I tend to think that all the current missing players had tested positive by no later than Tuesday 14th July.

That would mean their 10-day isolation period would have finished by Friday 23rd July, and then the extra 7-day return-to-play protocol would take us up to this Friday. Webster himself said after Sunday's game that he wouldn't be sure until this Friday who would be able to return, I guess they have to go through further Covid tests.

BTW Parata missed the Widnes game, we haven't been told if that was Covid-related but if it was he'd be theoretically out of the 7-day return-to-play protocol by midweek.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

This is just my guesswork so I could be wrong but my theory is most of them should be ok.

Unless I'm mistaken the rule after a positive Covid test is 10 days' self-isolation followed by the 7-day return-to- play protocol making 17 days before they can actually play again.

It was announced at around 9.30am on Wednesday 15th July that we had a number of positive Covid tests at the club. Presumably most of them took place on or before Tuesday 14th July (perhaps at training that night?).

After the team travelled to Hull for PCR tests on Thursday 16th July it was announced that no more players had tested positive. For that reason, I tend to think that all the current missing players had tested positive by no later than Tuesday 14th July.

That would mean their 10-day isolation period would have finished by Friday 23rd July, and then the extra 7-day return-to-play protocol would take us up to this Friday. Webster himself said after Sunday's game that he wouldn't be sure until this Friday who would be able to return, I guess they have to go through further Covid tests.

BTW Parata missed the Widnes game, we haven't been told if that was Covid-related but if it was he'd be theoretically out of the 7-day return-to-play protocol by midweek.

I seem to remember reading that the 7 days starts after the 1st -ve test following the end of 10 day isolation period (think this was last season when SL were having regular PCR tests) so could be more complicated than just by date. 

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

DON'T get me wrong I would dearly love to dismantle TO on sunday but to be honest I couldn't care less who's available to play

result on sunday is all about bragging rights and the abuse we'll get when we  win 

all I want is that everybody including Jack B and Dale F  Tom M and Ben B are fit and available for the business end of the season

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, POR said:

DON'T get me wrong I would dearly love to dismantle TO on sunday but to be honest I couldn't care less who's available to play

result on sunday is all about bragging rights and the abuse we'll get when we  win 

all I want is that everybody including Jack B and Dale F  Tom M and Ben B are fit and available for the business end of the season

I agree the play offs are really what it's all about and hopefully we will have all players available apart from our long term injuries.I don't take anything for granted in a game of Rugby League seen too many shocks over the years.When we do get a couple of forwards back in think John Davies deserves a rest or he may be cream crackered  towards the end of season.At last Ferres has started to repay our managements faith in him over the last few games.Hope he can continue from now until end of season.I think we will win on Sunday because we will have too much down the middle for Toulouse i just think if they go wide we may be caught out on the flanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/07/2021 at 21:02, The Phantom Horseman said:

A pleasing tweet from Tom Holmes tonight:
Felt good to be back on the field with lads after 5 weeks

GET him in ASAP we'ave missed his kicking close to the line and cut out passes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Joe Summers has joined Hunslet on loan, which confirms that with the Springer signing and players returning from Covid we are in much better shape than the last couple of weeks (when Summers featured off the bench on each occasion). All being well we should be back to having competition for places, and some tough decisions for Webbo, this weekend.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Going to be a cracking game especially with you getting bodies back. It won’t define the season and I’m sure you will rev in a win but quickly brush off a loss here.
 

It will probably decide who gets home advantage for the MPG although it’s likely to be at fev rather than France anyway. Covid permitting. 
 

looking forward to it 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The RFL Match Centre page has line-ups listed for both teams. We know that this page doesn't seem to be able to list more than 19 players, but we have only 18 listed at the moment.

At the moment there is no Holmes, Parata or Jones. I think and hope that's just because we're waiting for final clearance of their 7-day protocol. Moors and Dagger are in the squad as is Gadwin Springer.

As the latest man listed in the squad is Welham this isn't one of those situations where we have just left out the two latest players in alphabetical order. So I'm hoping that at some point Holmes, Parata and Jones will be added to the 18.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

The RFL Match Centre page has line-ups listed for both teams. We know that this page doesn't seem to be able to list more than 19 players, but we have only 18 listed at the moment.

At the moment there is no Holmes, Parata or Jones. I think and hope that's just because we're waiting for final clearance of their 7-day protocol. Moors and Dagger are in the squad as is Gadwin Springer.

As the latest man listed in the squad is Welham this isn't one of those situations where we have just left out the two latest players in alphabetical order. So I'm hoping that at some point Holmes, Parata and Jones will be added to the 18.

Fingers crossed that your detective work here proves correct.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Surprised that Jake Doyle is not there.

If there are no players to add, there are only 7 backs, so I assume we'd be something like.....

1. Dagger/Hall

2. Gaz

3. Hardcase

4. Welham

5. Hall/Dagger

6. Nu

7. Chizz

Doyle did go off injured last week at half time and didn't return.
Also, if Holmes is one of the late additions that gives us 8 backs - and a potentially difficult decision for Webbo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, LongStandingBull said:

Going to be a cracking game especially with you getting bodies back. It won’t define the season and I’m sure you will rev in a win but quickly brush off a loss here.
 

It will probably decide who gets home advantage for the MPG although it’s likely to be at fev rather than France anyway. Covid permitting. 
 

looking forward to it 

Everyone is assuming it's going to be Toulouse and Fev final. Why is this? True both teams are playing well now but there are teams like Halifax Bradford Batley and London all capable of toppling good sides on their day. One game at a time I say.🙄

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Doyle did go off injured last week at half time and didn't return.
Also, if Holmes is one of the late additions that gives us 8 backs - and a potentially difficult decision for Webbo.

Missed Doyle! Must pay more attention.

Tbh if Holmes is good to go, it might be Chizz who misses out as he looks like he's carrying that leg quite badly.

Or it might be Holmes & Chizz in the halves, and Brown at AHB

Edited by marklaspalmas
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, J Phil Loxton said:

Everyone is assuming it's going to be Toulouse and Fev final. Why is this? True both teams are playing well now but there are teams like Halifax Bradford Batley and London all capable of toppling good sides on their day. One game at a time I say.🙄

Vausey was saying very similar earlier this week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, J Phil Loxton said:

Everyone is assuming it's going to be Toulouse and Fev final. Why is this? True both teams are playing well now but there are teams like Halifax Bradford Batley and London all capable of toppling good sides on their day. One game at a time I say.🙄

Yes this is true. Although it's already looking likely that Fev and Toulouse will get a bye in the first round and whoever they play will have had a tough game the week before.  Injuries, form and late squad additions could all have a part to play, too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...