Clubs Facebook Profiles

Stats posted by Red Star Belgrade RLFC about the number of facebook followers various European clubs have. Few surprises  - Huddersfield clearly not pushing social media too hard. 

Leeds top by miles on 180K, Hull second with 110K, followed by Wigan, Cas, Warrington, Catalans and Saints. Widnes in 8th with over 40K followed by Hull KR on just over 30K, followed by Bradford in 10th.

Red Star Belgrade themselves in 13th with 16616, followed by Featherstone, Huddersfield then London Broncos. 

40 minutes ago, Damien said:

Widnes seems quite good in comparison to some of the others considering their crowds and the fact they are a Championship club.

Historically speaking there tended to be quite a boost for clubs who were in Super League at the time when people tended to rely on Facebook/Twitter for score updates before Flash Scores and the like upped their game. 

Twitter figures are better for most clubs. Saints have 106k followers on there compared to 56k on Facebook.

My own club have 7k on Facebook but 12k on Twitter.

Funnily enough Red Star only have 2k on Twitter which may explain why they focused on Facebook.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

1 minute ago, Derwent said:

Twitter figures are better for most clubs. Saints have 106k followers on there compared to 56k on Facebook.

My own club have 7k on Facebook but 12k on Twitter.

Funnily enough Red Star only have 2k on Twitter which may explain why they focused on Facebook.

Could also be that different countries use different social media platforms - twitter seems much more English language focused than facebook - it's not very big in Germany for example. 

Widnes may well have 40K+ followers on facebook, but most of them appear to be there to slag the team and/or coach off every Sunday. 

I could pay $5 and get 10 million followers to like Featherstone Rovers - but it means, nothing. 

Of all these "followers" how many actually interact with the club, how many buy things, are commercial partners or go to games?? 

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

3 minutes ago, JonM said:

Could also be that different countries use different social media platforms - twitter seems much more English language focused than facebook - it's not very big in Germany for example. 

Widnes may well have 40K+ followers on facebook, but most of them appear to be there to slag the team and/or coach off every Sunday. 

My daughters tell me that the cool kids don’t use Facebook these days anyway, it’s Instagram and Snapchat where they post photos of their lunch these days.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

12 hours ago, Chris Taylor said:

I could pay $5 and get 10 million followers to like Featherstone Rovers - but it means, nothing. 

Of all these "followers" how many actually interact with the club, how many buy things, are commercial partners or go to games?? 

It's about the appropriate social media across the territory you are in. I.e. no point having a massive facebook push if you are in China, there are far more relevant places to be (weibo)! So context is everything here.

It's also about a brand message, soft engagements such as how many people view/watch/like are important with respect to brand awareness and driving harder engagements such as buying merch/tickets etc. Getting someone to watch a video of Wolfy playing a prank on someone is important. The attention economy is very real!

Building up that following then pulling them in to doing "something". Whatever that something is. i.e. you are pushing the upcoming Friday night match or promoting your end of season club merch sale. It's opening up a cheap way of advertising to the contacts you have already acquired and longer term can save you spending a fortune on advertising (digital or analogue) if used in the right way.

Also worth noting that the amount of "followers" is relevant to your commercial partners. Selling a slot of advertisements to your shirt sponsor across social media to those "followers" is valuable. Its sure as hell more valuable to sell those opportunities when you can boast 180k people vs. 2k people.

It is all about filling up the bucket with the biggest audience you can muster!

Archived