Jump to content

Derek Beaumont's Programme Notes


Chris22
 Share

Recommended Posts


19 minutes ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

I put up with a lot of stuff on here and comment little, I have learned that opinions are like ar5eh0le5, everybody has one

Exactly.

20 minutes ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

Im sorry Harry and sweaty, if this offends you but at some point you have to take the blinkers off.

See above JD, are you saying your opinion is correct?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Exactly.

See above JD, are you saying your opinion is correct?

yes I am Harry. I think its important to weigh up both sides of an argument before firing off an angry response, though I am not quite sure what you are alluding to in your highlighted quote? If it is an attempt at being clever then maybe you should have wrote today's program..........

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When the bidding process for a SL place commenced many posters raised concerns about what Beaumont did the last time Leigh were relegated. These concerns were very valid but, rather bizarrely, were not taken into account and Leigh won. At the time doubts were raised about the criteria and if it was skewed to fit a particular club. SLE reap what they sow on this.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

yes I am Harry. I think its important to weigh up both sides of an argument before firing off an angry response, though I am not quite sure what you are alluding to in your highlighted quote? If it is an attempt at being clever then maybe you should have wrote today's program..........

 

Suppose there is nothing else to say, if you deem yours after personally weighing up both sides of the argument and discussing it with the man in mirror is the correct opinion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

When the bidding process for a SL place commenced many posters raised concerns about what Beaumont did the last time Leigh were relegated. These concerns were very valid but, rather bizarrely, were not taken into account and Leigh won. At the time doubts were raised about the criteria and if it was skewed to fit a particular club. SLE reap what they sow on this.

What exactly has Dereck done , that he supposedly did in 2018 ?

Again the last time we were relegated 2017 , Dereck was very magnanimous in Defeat , praising Les Cats for their performance 

Edited by GUBRATS
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Damien said:

When the bidding process for a SL place commenced many posters raised concerns about what Beaumont did the last time Leigh were relegated. These concerns were very valid but, rather bizarrely, were not taken into account and Leigh won. At the time doubts were raised about the criteria and if it was skewed to fit a particular club. SLE reap what they sow on this.

I seriously doubt if Leigh's inclusion into Super League has brought a single new fan to the game and certainly not any big new sponsors. In my opinion Robert Elstone was behind this move hoping there inclusion would bring up the average super league crowd, well that's worked out well hasn't it, a bit like Elstones plan to sell the game of cheap to a PE firm. In my opinion IF the TWP had been allowed to stay in Super League the crowd average would be higher than it is now

Edited by The Future is League
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Well it is up to everyone who I have offended to tell me otherwise, it seems that saying Mr Beaumont got a desired reaction from his comments after all the 'stupid man's' comments from our resident experts has caused some consternation.

I'm genuinely interested Harry.  I have not commented on the politics of Leigh being in Super League or next year's make up, just the content and tone of the programme article.

Do you genuinely believe that it was correct for him to write that article, to criticise his squad for their behaviour and effort and their lack of support in his charity efforts?  Are you really happy with him airing his dirty laundry in public?

And I don't buy the 'he is a millionaire so we can't criticise him' argument... there is nothing infallible about being a millionaire. 

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 5

"The¬†history of the world is the history of the triumph¬†of the heartless¬†over¬†the mindless." ‚ÄĒ Sir¬†Humphrey Appleby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Turning down the chance to get into/stay in SL , hence why several clubs applied 

It's easy to say no when you've been there for decades , but if you've spent decades chasing it , then that's different 

Possibly. A person whose ego wasn't so easily charmed would have probably scoffed at the terms and told them where to shove it, with 2021 saved for the Championship. It smacks of desperation, as do most of Mr Beaumont's recent pontifications.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hammerless Nail said:

To be fair...

‚ÄúTreat your men as you would your own ****, and gob off about them in your programme notes. And they will follow you into the deepest valley.‚ÄĚ
‚Äē Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Great book. These are apt too

‚ÄúPonder and deliberate before you make a move.‚ÄĚ

‚ÄúAnger may in time change to gladness; vexation may be succeeded by content. But a kingdom that has once been destroyed can never come again into being; nor can the dead ever be brought back to life.‚ÄĚ

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The Future is League said:

I seriously doubt if Leigh's inclusion into Super League has brought a single new fan to the game and certainly not any big news sponsors. In my opinion Robert Elstone was behind this move hoping there inclusion would bring up the average super league crowd, well that's worked out well hasn't it, a bit like Elstones plan to sell the game of cheap to a PE firm. In my opinion IF the TWP had been allowed to stay in Super League the crowd average would be higher than it is now

How many times do people need telling Toronto were a busted flush , yes it was wrong they weren't given the central funding , but Mr Argyle took the deal ( not sure what else he could have done , perhaps he should have asked the question in 2015 ) , and it's common knowledge there were issues , without Covid it might have worked , but nobody knows , not you , not me , nobody , so stop using it as a stick to beat somebody else with 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Possibly. A person whose ego wasn't so easily charmed would have probably scoffed at the terms and told them where to shove it, with 2021 saved for the Championship. It smacks of desperation, as do most of Mr Beaumont's recent pontifications.

So you are saying the same about the various owners of Fev , York and indeed Toulouse ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

How many times do people need telling Toronto were a busted flush , yes it was wrong they weren't given the central funding , but Mr Argyle took the deal ( not sure what else he could have done , perhaps he should have asked the question in 2015 ) , and it's common knowledge there were issues , without Covid it might have worked , but nobody knows , not you , not me , nobody , so stop using it as a stick to beat somebody else with 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

So you are saying the same about the various owners of Fev , York and indeed Toulouse ? 

They didn't take the deal, nor did they offer to play in Super League for free (as it appears Mr Beaumont is doing again). 

Leigh were the only one's given the opportunity to refuse, but by that point Mr Beaumont's hubris meant a u turn was not possible. And so the season long car crash began.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

They didn't take the deal, nor did they offer to play in Super League for free (as it appears Mr Beaumont is doing again). 

Leigh were the only one's given the opportunity to refuse, but by that point Mr Beaumont's hubris meant a u turn was not possible. And so the season long car crash began.

" Leigh were the only one's given the opportunity to refuse " ūü§Ē

Sorry you've lost me there , they applied , the lower central funding only came to public knowledge afterwards , maybe other clubs had similar ' offers ' in their applications ? , Do you know otherwise ? , If so provide some proof , Dereck expressed surprise at getting the place , as did most on here 

Your post just looks like petty point scoring in hindsight 

Whichever club it had been if they had suffered losing 40% of their squad to injury in the 2 pre season games as Leigh did would have had a similar ' car crash ' 

Do I agree with his programme notes today ? , No , I believe the players have given their all , but circumstances have provided us with the season we have had , constant changes week on week as we saw again today , with again just 17 to ' not ' pick from 

But you carry on looking for any reason to have a dig at Leigh or Dereck , it seems to make you and plenty of others happy , no wonder everybody is telling us the ' game ' is dying with fans like you 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

No not at all, but very very comfortable.

So we have worked out you can afford a comfy chair. Well done.

  • Haha 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

" Leigh were the only one's given the opportunity to refuse " ūü§Ē

Sorry you've lost me there , they applied , the lower central funding only came to public knowledge afterwards , maybe other clubs had similar ' offers ' in their applications ? , Do you know otherwise ? , If so provide some proof , Dereck expressed surprise at getting the place , as did most on here 

The £1 million funding was public knowledge before the bid process started.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

The £1 million funding was public knowledge before the bid process started.

Excellent , so everybody knew , and they ALL still applied , does that make them all egotistical ? , As Tommy suggested Dereck is ?

Something amusing you Tommy ?

Edited by GUBRATS
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Excellent , so everybody knew , and they ALL still applied , does that make them all egotistical ? , As Tommy suggested Dereck is ?

This article from 5th November sets it all out. The criteria hadn't even been set out yet and I don't think the bid process ended until 30th November:

The club promoted to Super League to replace Toronto Wolfpack next season is set to receive just over half the central funding of its rivals.

The top flight clubs have voted to admit a 12th team in 2021 after they rejected the Wolfpack’s bid to rejoin the top flight following their mid-season withdrawal.

Mirror Sport understands they have also agreed that the successful club - which will go through an application process overseen by Super League and the RFL - will receive £1million from the central distribution pot.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/promoted-super-league-club-set-22961338

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, GUBRATS said:

" Leigh were the only one's given the opportunity to refuse " ūü§Ē

Sorry you've lost me there , they applied , the lower central funding only came to public knowledge afterwards , maybe other clubs had similar ' offers ' in their applications ? , Do you know otherwise ? , If so provide some proof , Dereck expressed surprise at getting the place , as did most on here 

Your post just looks like petty point scoring in hindsight 

Whichever club it had been if they had suffered losing 40% of their squad to injury in the 2 pre season games as Leigh did would have had a similar ' car crash ' 

Do I agree with his programme notes today ? , No , I believe the players have given their all , but circumstances have provided us with the season we have had , constant changes week on week as we saw again today , with again just 17 to ' not ' pick from 

But you carry on looking for any reason to have a dig at Leigh or Dereck , it seems to make you and plenty of others happy , no wonder everybody is telling us the ' game ' is dying with fans like you 

And now you're shrinking into melancholy ūüėā

Leigh were the only club chosen, therefore they were the only club able to refuse the actual terms. 

Derek went public with his "we'll take no central funding" offer very early on. Super League called his bluff and settled somewhere halfway. He's now trying again. 

This is the biggest self-chosen strategic mistake by any director of any super league club in the past 20 years. True leadership and professional honest management of the club would have resulted in DB coming out honestly to the fans and saying something along the lines of "We are refusing the Super League offer because of the terms. It would set us back 2 years at least. We'll take our chances in the Championship." Instead, he kept up the illusion to fans who had already written off a seasons worth of membership money that they would recruit big. If that had happened at my club I'd be livid!

Owning a Super League club is quite clearly a source of immense pride and an ego trip for Mr Beaumont. Have they taken the sign down yet? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Damien said:

This article from 5th November sets it all out. The criteria hadn't even been set out yet and I don't think the bid process ended until 30th November:

The club promoted to Super League to replace Toronto Wolfpack next season is set to receive just over half the central funding of its rivals.

The top flight clubs have voted to admit a 12th team in 2021 after they rejected the Wolfpack’s bid to rejoin the top flight following their mid-season withdrawal.

Mirror Sport understands they have also agreed that the successful club - which will go through an application process overseen by Super League and the RFL - will receive £1million from the central distribution pot.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/promoted-super-league-club-set-22961338

And you opinion to the question I posed ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...