Promotion & Relegation/Licencing hybrid system

JAG

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Point is 1 up 1 down ran perfectly well before all the tinkering started. Mergers etc is a completely different discussion 

Not entirely.

Huddersfield were promoted and then needed to be merged with Sheffield.

Hull FC got promoted and needed to be merged with Gateshead.

So Wakefield in 1998, Salford in 2004 and Castleford in 2007 are the only three legitimate *success stories of 1 up 1 down P&R in 26 years.

*Wakefield have gone into administration several times, never featured in a major final and only made the play-offs twice I think.

12 minutes ago, Damien said:

With a bit of luck maybe this will finally get locked a year later! It's had more sequels than Rocky.

It'll come round next season when the same problems occur.

10 minutes ago, JAG said:

It'll come round next season when the same problems occur.

There's plenty of other threads to contribute to. To keep coming back to just post exclusively on a thread you created, and constantly ignoring what everyone says, is weird and no more than trolling.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

There's plenty of other threads to contribute to. To keep coming back to just post exclusively on a thread you created, and constantly ignoring what everyone says, is weird and no more than trolling.

Not a bad word has been said to anyone. Certainly not by me.

I only come back to this thread every time this issues of P&R rears it's head. I don't ignore anyone and I try to reply to everyone respectfully. 

8 minutes ago, JAG said:

Not a bad word has been said to anyone. Certainly not by me.

I only come back to this thread every time this issues of P&R rears it's head. I don't ignore anyone and I try to reply to everyone respectfully. 

No matter what people write you say you have not heard an argument against what you propose. This is despite the majority of posters giving you arguments against it. Then you disappear to repeat the nonsense again.

9 hours ago, JAG said:

Not entirely.

Huddersfield were promoted and then needed to be merged with Sheffield.

Hull FC got promoted and needed to be merged with Gateshead.

So Wakefield in 1998, Salford in 2004 and Castleford in 2007 are the only three legitimate *success stories of 1 up 1 down P&R in 26 years.

*Wakefield have gone into administration several times, never featured in a major final and only made the play-offs twice I think.

*Wakefield play-offs 3 times (2004, 2009, 2012)

2016-21 finishing position: 

(8, 5, 5, 9, 10, 10)

Admin once (2011)

Never relegated

Not a great record, but at least get it right.

#GoRoaches

Edited by Wholly Trinity
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Jughead said:

Can we honestly use evidence from as long as 25 years ago to say promotion and relegation works when every case in the past four or five attempts has yielded the same end result? 

If that's the only period of time when it existed more than a couple of times then yes

15 hours ago, Wholly Trinity said:

(8, 5, 5, 9, 10, 10)

Admin once (2011)

Never relegated

#GoRoaches

15 hours ago, Wholly Trinity said:

(8, 5, 5, 9, 10, 10)

Admin once (2011)

Never relegated

#GoRoaches

Conveniently not mentioning the 2015 Million Pound Game 😉

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

So ends another domestic Rugby League season.

We've gone through the pointless exercise of relegating Leigh to the Championship only to see them get promoted straight away with the team that could've made the top 6 of Super League. We've punished Toulouse for not quite being able to bridge the gap between SL and Championship in one year a feat barely achieved by any club including Leigh.

IMG has proposed scrapping annual P&R = Good News.

Emphasised the importance of an International Calander = Good news.

They have also suggest bringing back licensing with clubs categorised A & B = Very Very Bad News

(Also 2-legged Challenge Cup matches is the most idiotic idea since the Club Call, but that's a different story)

No category A club can get relegated, and any category B club could get relegated by a fellow category B club gaining A status. It is the absolute worst of both worlds. Off field promotion/relegation and a ring fenced 'Super' Super League.

Leigh Centurions could now gain a category A licence and be immune from relegation forever. While a club like Hull KR, Castleford or Wakefield could get relegated the moment York Knights, Halifax, London, Newcastle or Widnes get a category A license.

How good does my proposal of 4-year cycle of fair on-field deserved promotion/relegation look now?