16 minutes ago, devonhawk said:

Until he goes, we will always be a team with a terrible record of post-season success. FedEx is crumbling, we need a new stadium ASAP. There must be land in DC, but I believe Snyder is looking everywhere but DC, Virginia and even Maryland just now. 

I try and keep up with things on The Athletic and occasionally the Washington Post, but it’s a while since I read about the stadium move (which is inevitable I agree).

I thought there was some talk of a move to a smaller site near RFK, but that Snyder had fallen out with decision makers in DC or something along those lines.  Either way I found it believable given Snyder’s track record with people.

One things for sure is that many sports fans in the area have opted for the Baltimore Ravens or the Nationals and Wizards due to everything swirling around the franchise since the glory days.

Edit:  Quick google says most main sports news sites are talking about Virginia.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

On 14/11/2021 at 08:20, Maximus Decimus said:

They certainly have some odd ways.

As an outsider, one thing I find odd about American sports is how rigid they are. As the leader of free market capitalism, their sports are much more regulated and controlled than say European football.

Take the NFL. They have a salary cap, a draft to ensure competitiveness and a closed shop. The vast majority of players have to go to college before they can play pro-football, meaning you rarely find a player younger than 21.

Compare that to the Premier League: no cap, no draft, promotion and relegation and absolutely no link to academic institutions. Decent 16/17 year olds regularly turn out. Money and influence are king.

Dare I say it, the NFL seems unAmerican. 

Why for the size of the U.S.A. doesn't the NFL have more teams or lots of local semi pro clubs like the NHL have as its a shame that hundreds of College players will never pick up a ball again if they don't get drafted.

On 07/12/2021 at 14:15, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Not strictly NFL but its Canadian Cousin - The end of the eastern CFL (semi) final between the Toronto Argonauts and the Hamilton Tiger Cats (Special teams Coach - Jeff Reinebold)

A game with a punch line at the end

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/argos-vs-tiger-cats-fan-1.6275029

I feel sorry for CFL as has not many teams and is not the bright lights of NFL and from what I have heard its not even poplar in Toronto as more people like NFL yet Grey Cup is much older then the NFL and yet it gets loans from the NFL, so why doesn't the NFL just buy it and have a few Candian teams added to the conferences ?

Have to admit I've been watching more games this season , from about round 10 I've been recording and watching most of them , due in part to the boring state of the Premier league with most teams now playing the possession based bore the other team into submission tactics we now see 

The wild card games weren't good with mostly blow outs , but the last 6 have been incredible spectacle , going down to the last few seconds , still won't be watching the Super Bowl live , my son is a big fan and went to WHL last year , he does a podcast on the sport , going to a pub in York that stays open to watch it 

I'll have to get up early on Monday week and watch it running through the stoppages as I do if I want to avoid the result 

• Like 2

Brian Flores has correctly  opened up a can of worms which unfortunately cannot be discussed here as it will be moved to the politics forum.

Like Colin Kaepernick before him he has probably sacrificed his career🙁

• Like 1

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_League_of_Football

Anybody familiar with the above European American Football League.

They’ve done a deal to allow them to use the old NFL Europe names like Frankfurt Galaxy and Barcelona Dragons.

They’ve got a broadcast deal with minor German broadcaster and have expansion plans.

Seems one of the key selling points is they’re encouraging the use of local players and also creating a pathway for existing teams all over Europe (including the London Warriors) to join the league rather than plonking franchises in cities.

I know we’re not talking NFL Europe scale on any level but it’s an interesting development league and I hope it can last.

End of season thoughts. The last 6 games of the  play- offs were all decided by 3 points. In the regular season over 50% off the games were decided by 7 points or less. As they say on any given sunday...

Finally, will any other team go down the road of sacrificing those prized round 1 draft picks, too bring in experienced players now to enhance their chances.

Kupp last nights MVP indeed he should have been awarded the MVP for the season was the 7th receiver picked in the 2017 being selected on the third round.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

It won’t go down as one of the classic superbowls though it was strange that there was rarely a flag until the last half of the 4th quarter. I’ve no idea how the officials missed the face mask grab on the Bengals touchdown at the start of the second half. Stafford in that last drive showed why the Rams moved for him in the off season.

Edited by Liverpool Rover

• 2 weeks later...

Green Bay Packers coming to Tottenham Hotspur

https://www.nfl.com/news/packers-buccaneers-cardinals-jaguars-saints-to-play-international-games-in-2022

No TRL attendance threads needed for this fixture  😉

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/03/2022 at 22:32, Gerrumonside ref said:

Russell Wilson joins Denver in a blockbuster trade of draft picks with Seattle.

Should give the Broncos a shot at being more competitive in the loaded AFC West.

While the Seahawks can build for the future through the draft with a lot of high picks.

He’s gone from a division with Kyler Murray and Matthew Stafford to one with Patrick Mahoney and Justin Herbert and swapped facing Nick Bosa and JJ Watt with now facing Joey Bosa and Maxx Crosby. Not exactly made life easier for himself and Seattle got the better of that trade I think.

Amari Cooper looks to be going to the Browns in exchange for fifth and sixth round draft picks. The Cowboys must have wanted shot of him quickly to accept that.

• 4 months later...

NYG v Green Bay at Tottenham. A bit of a shambles for tickets this morning.

Specifically told by Ticketmaster not to queue until 09:30 for a 10:00 sale. I log in at 9 to get prepped and already 70k people in the queue.

Lots of tickets already on resale through 'tout' sites, though i question the validity of these.

Still in queue. It's the hope that kills you.. 

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

12 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

NYG v Green Bay at Tottenham. A bit of a shambles for tickets this morning.

Specifically told by Ticketmaster not to queue until 09:30 for a 10:00 sale. I log in at 9 to get prepped and already 70k people in the queue.

Lots of tickets already on resale through 'tout' sites, though i question the validity of these.

Still in queue. It's the hope that kills you.. 

Good luck mate

On 26/07/2022 at 14:16, MattSantos said:

No joy. Nothing for the game week before as well.

My group of four was trying for that game, but only a handful of single seats were left by the time my mate got through. If all the tickets went to genuine fans (not touts intending to resell them), that's impressive demand for two unfashionable NFL teams - especially considering the prices, which I thought were ridiculous. We were going for £100 tickets, which I was only prepared to do as it was for a weekend meet-up with friends. I would never pay that sort of money normally for just an ordinary match.

Not sure why they had to sell both games on the same day either. Surely that just makes the queues unnecessarily long?

12 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

My group of four was trying for that game, but only a handful of single seats were left by the time my mate got through. If all the tickets went to genuine fans (not touts intending to resell them), that's impressive demand for two unfashionable NFL teams - especially considering the prices, which I thought were ridiculous. We were going for £100 tickets, which I was only prepared to do as it was for a weekend meet-up with friends. I would never pay that sort of money normally for just an ordinary match.

Not sure why they had to sell both games on the same day either. Surely that just makes the queues unnecessarily long?

I did see tweets of people saying that they hadn't got the game they wanted so had just bought others to sell on.

I'm an NFL fan but none of the games really appealed to me, obviously I'd have gone like but it makes me wonder how much of it is people wanting to go to an event and how much is people trying to make a profit.

• 3 weeks later...