Cricket - Matches & General Discussion Thread

There is some cynicism - I think undeserved in this case - about how they came back on for just enough deliveries (it actually was a few more than just enough - and would have been even more had England not lost wickets) to take them past the number of overs the ECB has to pay out for.

Either way, it's all well poised even if the weather could be the final arbiter of the result.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

First ball of the day and Root attempts a ramp shot. Then scores sixteen off his first full over.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Seeing Kevin Pietersen art the ground reminds me that back in 2008 at the same ground IIRC, KP was pilloried for getting out against South Africa for 94 trying to hit over long-on. KP'sd response "it's the way I play" was slated at the time.

Now under Bazball, we have an England XI that seems to play the KP way, of the three wickets this morning, Pope was got out, but Root, in particular, and to a degree Harry Brook, committed Seppuku* putting Australia on top with only a DRS reversal in favour of Jonny Bairstow keeping England in the game.

They do need another 130 runs at least..

Often called “hara-kiri” in the West, “seppuku” is a form of ritual suicide that originated with Japan's ancient samurai warrior class.

• Like 1

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

"Same old Aussies, always cheating" rings round the ground after an appeal when Stokes was caught after hitting the ball into the ground.

• Haha 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

England doing their level best to lose this. Okay, they need runs on the board but by putting themselves at risk by chasing them they're dropping like flies and the Aussie second innings is creeping nearer and nearer.

England 273 all out - Australia require 281.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bloody marvellous, they needed that!

Considering the number of times Jim Maxwell's been part of the TMS Ashes coverage over the years, it's taken him a while to cotton on to THE SHIPPING FORECAST!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

19 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

And that one… need Smith quickly now.

Done! Smith not waving but drowning and gorn for 6.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Another wicket would have had it in the balance, as it is, Oz favourites sadly.

Looking forward to the last day.

That’s why test cricket is the best . Absolutely spellbinding . I have us slight favourites , get them 5 down and half way to the total in the morning . Broad excellent , Jimmy a bit disappointing . Fingers crossed for the weather 

PS it’s funny how teams race around near the end when the pace of play is funereal all day .

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, DavidM said:

That’s why test cricket is the best . Absolutely spellbinding . I have us slight favourites , get them 5 down and half way to the total in the morning . Broad excellent , Jimmy a bit disappointing . Fingers crossed for the weather 

PS it’s funny how teams race around near the end when the pace of play is funereal all day .

I agree - I think England are ahead because scoring is not going to be easy, especially if the rain does come.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Not looking good for today's play, 90% chance of rain at 10am, 80% at 11am, dropping down to 30% or less at 12 and afterwards but it might be too late by then.

17 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Not looking good for today's play, 90% chance of rain at 10am, 80% at 11am, dropping down to 30% or less at 12 and afterwards but it might be too late by then.

*Apparently* they can play until all overs are bowled today and it was light at 8pm in Brum yesterday. So ...

Expected start of play - 1:30pm.

• Thanks 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Expected start of play - 1:30pm.

Possibly after 2pm now.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Okay, here come the players!

Ralph Waldo Emerson