Cricket - Matches & General Discussion Thread

21 minutes ago, JonM said:

Feels like the Aussies are playing for the draw, tbh. Really negative field. 

Yes, it’s taken the heat out of the potential the occasion had.

Australia will be happy with their three wickets especially Boland taking out Crawley on the last ball before lunch.

We need Root and Brook to really steady the ship now after lunch.

The only positive is that Australia seem to be trading building pressure on the batters for really restricting boundaries and waiting for the mistakes.

The Nighthawk's in.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

16 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The Nighthawk's in.

The Nighthawk's out.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Century for Root, but he's running out of batting partners.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

England... declare! :kolobok_shok:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

38 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

England... declare! :kolobok_shok:

I don't think that worked.

I get the bravado and I get making the Aussies uncomfortable but we were, ultimately, far, far too short of the 450 minimum that pitch requires and there is still time in the game.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

I don't think that worked.

I get the bravado and I get making the Aussies uncomfortable but we were, ultimately, far, far too short of the 450 minimum that pitch requires and there is still time in the game.

I hadn’t realised they had declared - switched it off thinking it was the end of the day’s play. Stupid by Stokes and McCullum. I’d love to be proved wrong obviously…

… if the cloud doesn’t stay around tomorrow, the Aussies will wrack up a big score and it’ll be a draw considering the weather forecast for Sunday.

In the more important match of the day, Yorkshire make it 6 consecutive Blast wins by beating Leicester with two overs to spare. All the more surprising because the visitors blew so many chances to take their score well past 200.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Anybody criticising Ben Stokes for declaring on 8 / 393 is missing one fundamental.point. 

Bazball is all about risk-taking and in order to win you have to be prepared to lose.

If England had knocked over Warner or Khawaja today's headlines would be different.

Of course, this means England could be ob the butt-end of a near 200 deficit come Monday evening with Lyon ready to exploit a crumbling pitch but if you take the Bazball approach is this not a challenge to the vaunted English seam attack to restrict Australia to a total near the England score.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

It's the weekend, the sun's out, there's Rugby league on FTA TV later and Broad's clean-bowled Warner again.

Life is good. :kolobok_cool:

• Like 3

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Australia marginally on top after day 2 as parity may suit them bettr than England. Still it is marginal and early wickets could change things though with Nathan Lyon in the Aussie line up England will not want to spot Australa a 50 run plus lead.

• Like 1

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Both Teams guilty of dropping catches that could have changed the way of the game , plus the no ball .Need to restrict them to somewhere near our total , if they get a lead of around a hundred it could be tricky . The weather might still have a big say .

• Like 1

Australia all out for 386, trailing by seven runs.

Ralph Waldo Emerson