Cricket - Matches & General Discussion Thread

Stuart Broad retires from all Cricket after this game to go to SKY TV. And fair play to him retiring while still being a major contributor to the side.

For any sportsman or woman it's  always best to leave the game when folk are asking why are you going as opposed to being involuntarily retired.

He leaves on his terms and will remain an England legend regardless of the outcome of this game.

• Like 1

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

An England win by no means certain. In this era sides hunt down what were previous though unattainable scores (notably this England side). to get 379 you need a good startt so if 0/100 then its on. If 3/100 you are talking a different game and while the emotion is on the England side with the last appearance of Broad, and probably Ali and Anderson. There are a few Aussies who also will playing their last Ashes test and may want to go out with  a bang.

Bright and sunny down here so we should get a result.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

12 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Stuart Broad retires from all Cricket after this game to go to SKY TV. And fair play to him retiring while still being a major contributor to the side.

For any sportsman or woman it's  always best to leave the game when folk are asking why are you going as opposed to being involuntarily retired.

He leaves on his terms and will remain an England legend regardless of the outcome of this game.

Jimmy Anderson by all accounts is a very private man who shuns the limelight where possible despite his great achievements in cricket.

Does anyone else think it would be fitting for a great partnership, whose tandem lifted each other to fantastic heights, retired at the same time after this test?

It feels like it would be fitting for Anderson too rather than to bow out in a more low key fashion (although maybe that is what he might prefer).

6 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Jimmy Anderson by all accounts is a very private man who shuns the limelight where possible despite his great achievements in cricket.

Does anyone else think it would be fitting for a great partnership, whose tandem lifted each other to fantastic heights, retired at the same time after this test?

It feels like it would be fitting for Anderson too rather than to bow out in a more low key fashion (although maybe that is what he might prefer).

I’ve seen interviews with Jimmy suggesting he has no intention of packing in yet. It maybe because Broad can see his next role with Sky sports whereas Jimmy sees nothing beyond the cricket so just wants to keep going for as long as he can. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobbruce said:

I’ve seen interviews with Jimmy suggesting he has no intention of packing in yet. It maybe because Broad can see his next role with Sky sports whereas Jimmy sees nothing beyond the cricket so just wants to keep going for as long as he can. 

Yes, I just think it’s a shame that his final game might be one where he is saluted by a very modest crowd at Old Trafford in the County Championship. 

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes, I just think it’s a shame that his final game might be one where he is saluted by a very modest crowd at Old Trafford in the County Championship. 

As you say I think he’d quite like that plus it would probably be raining so they’d be in the dressing rooms anyway. I can see both sides on the one hand Broad has gone out at the very top in an ashes series. There’s no doubt he’s bowling well enough to carry on though. Whereas Jimmy is looking at it as you are a long time retired so wants to go on as long as possible. 

• Like 1

I think it's great timing by Broad. Like he said, he wants to go out while he's still at the top. It's also The Ashes, so it's the biggest stage you can get. I hope he gets a brilliant send off and plays his part in another England win. He's been an absolute legend and I wish him the best going forwards.

Come on England, let's get the job done today!

Australia closing on 3-1 unless it either rains or England can get 3-4 wickets cheaply this morning. The England attack looks cooked and Marcus Trescothick confirmed all the bowlers are carrying injuries.

One of the issues to be addressed post series is the one about "mateship" in the England side where you get picked regadless of form.....

Edited by THE RED ROOSTER

George Orwell

Stokes loses control of the ball as he’s about to celebrate catching Smith and not only do they lose the dismissal they also lose the review they used.

Could be very costly.

:kolobok_sad:   Hull FC....The Sons of God....  :kolobok_sad:
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Just now, Spidey said:

WTF happened then? On mute as on a works call. Did stokes let the ball go too soon? 🤦🏼‍♂️

As he was going to throw the ball up in celebration his hand hit his knee and he dropped it. Harsh as he obviously caught it cleanly. I guess it’s when is the catch complete and when does the celebration start?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

As he was going to throw the ball up in celebration his hand hit his knee and he dropped it. Harsh as he obviously caught it cleanly. I guess it’s when is the catch complete and when does the celebration start?

Haven’t seen but it appears that TMS are unanimous that it’s the correct decision.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Haven’t seen but it appears that TMS are unanimous that it’s the correct decision.

Don't know enough about cricket rules to dispute - from an outsider looking in it does become a bit philosophical, when is a catch not a catch anymore?  Does the catch only "finish" when the umpire raises his finger?

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Stokes gave himself up and made the decision easy. Ironically, if he'd caught it as he did then threw the ball down in celebration as he landed, I'm sure it would have been given out. My thoughts on it being harsh were due to the fact it was a very good catch and it was only the celebration that went wrong, had he not gone to throw the ball into the air he wouldn't have dropped it.

Bloody hell, it's dreadful weather up here in Hull so I didn't bother watching.

Can't believe the sun is shining darn sarf, 25 overs left, carm orn England!

WOOP WOOP!!!

Broady strikes...