1 hour ago, Derwent said:

Anderson v Humphries is a classic example of how the sets format can give skewed score lines. On the face of it 5-2 looks like a comprehensive victory but in actual fact Anderson only won 1 more leg than Humphries (16-15).

Importantly when it mattered Anderson delivered, particularly in the deciding legs in sets towards the end after a slow start to the match.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

Anderson v Humphries is a classic example of how the sets format can give skewed score lines. On the face of it 5-2 looks like a comprehensive victory but in actual fact Anderson only won 1 more leg than Humphries (16-15).

As someone newer to darts, I must say I really prefer the sets format. It is arguably less fair but there is something about a best of 35 legs that feels like it's going to be a slog, and if one player is 5/6 legs ahead it doesn't feel like they'll come back.

The nature of sets means that 3-1 doesn't feel quite as insurmountable.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

As someone newer to darts, I must say I really prefer the sets format. It is arguably less fair but there is something about a best of 35 legs that feels like it's going to be a slog, and if one player is 5/6 legs ahead it doesn't feel like they'll come back.

Couldn’t agree more . I particularly like the Worlds and Grand Prix because of the set format . Many of the rest are just too samey … first to 6 first to 10 etc . Set play is more interesting and has more dimensions to it . You’d think there’s room for at least one more major moving to set play .

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I agree with you, just saying that sometimes the set score doesn’t tell the full story. Anderson didn’t annihilate Humphries but if you only saw the score you’d assume he did. 

• Like 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Battle of the Haircuts coming up next.

Another quality match. A lot of matches have been like this, underdog goes a couple of sets up before the ranked player eventually claws it back.

Hoping rather than hopeful for Smith vs Price here.

• Like 1

the kid with the shredded wheat  hair could rule darts for years if he can hone his game and stop rushing 

Edited by graveyard johnny
  • Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

8 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Gerwyn Price is out.

"I'll say that again, it's my favourite line ..."

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 hours ago, DavidM said:

Couldn’t agree more . I particularly like the Worlds and Grand Prix because of the set format . Many of the rest are just too samey … first to 6 first to 10 etc . Set play is more interesting and has more dimensions to it . You’d think there’s room for at least one more major moving to set play .

I'd love to see a proper cricket darts tournament. They play it a lot in the US and Japan and it's probably my favourite game to play.

Might not work as well with 100+ average players.

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

"I'll say that again, it's my favourite line ..."

Did you follow the exploits of Florian Hempel aka The Hempel of Doom?

He used to play handball in the German 2nd Division before turning to darts - he had a good run at this year’s World Championship.

He plays with Cologne Cathedral’s famous twin spires on his jersey.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

Brilliant session of darts last night , utterly enthralling . Rydz is amazing , he’s gonna be something , but Peter Snakebite is just rock solid and his experience told . I’m chuffed for bully boy Smith , I don’t like Price . Ive never liked his manner or antics .  He’s fuelled the crowd for years and now is moaning about it . It’s up for grabs now alright , hopefully Anderson can keep on grinding it out and I’d like to see him play bully boy in the final . The enigmatic character that is Wade goes under the radar a bit but I’m sure he’ll fancy it too . And Snakebite has done it before and is ultra consistent … yes that’s correct , I really don’t know ! Been good though 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Brilliant session of darts last night , utterly enthralling . Rydz is amazing , he’s gonna be something , but Peter Snakebite is just rock solid and his experience told . I’m chuffed for bully boy Smith , I don’t like Price . Ive never liked his manner or antics .  He’s fuelled the crowd for years and now is moaning about it . It’s up for grabs now alright , hopefully Anderson can keep on grinding it out and I’d like to see him play bully boy in the final . The enigmatic character that is Wade goes under the radar a bit but I’m sure he’ll fancy it too . And Snakebite has done it before and is ultra consistent … yes that’s correct , I really don’t know ! Been good though 

It's clearly got out of hand with Price now but I agree he doesn't help himself. One of the reasons he's picked on is because he rises to it and ends up being antagonistic back. Last night he put out a tweet saying nothing more than 'cheats.' That's not gonna help matters.

My bet is on a Smith vs Wright final, with my gut going for Wright. Wade will have to rise by about 10 points or hope Smith has a shocker. I expect Anderson-Wright will be closer but think Wright has the consistency to win.

9 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Wright squeaks through ,6-4, but what an effort from former champion Anderson. Great match.

Fair play to Anderson, from 3-0 down he was probably the better player and went into overdrive.

Great final in prospect. Obviously rooting for Smith but think he's a slight underdog.

• Like 1