On 07/03/2022 at 19:59, DavidM said:

He’ll never win owt . You could almost see the mental demons as the final went on

Absolutely, the second it stops going his way you can see his face redden and his anger start rising etc.

He could/should've blown Noppert away especially at 3-0. If he ever got comfortable he'd be hard to stop.

If he hasn't already, he needs to see someone because it's only going to get worse.

• Like 1

You have to think Rugby League could learn something from this sport, in terms of the way it is packaged, promoted and presented. 

Sky/Matchroom have targeted the demographic that watches it, and put together an advertising package tailored to their buying habits (cars, beer, etc etc). They seem to put on successful events throughout the year, and have almost made it a mainstream sport. You rarely see darts played in front of an empty arena. 

• Like 1

On 11/03/2022 at 09:56, TheFlash said:

You have to think Rugby League could learn something from this sport, in terms of the way it is packaged, promoted and presented. 

Sky/Matchroom have targeted the demographic that watches it, and put together an advertising package tailored to their buying habits (cars, beer, etc etc). They seem to put on successful events throughout the year, and have almost made it a mainstream sport. You rarely see darts played in front of an empty arena. 

There are fundamental differences between RL and a sport like darts that would be hard to recreate.

For instance, the lifeblood of a team sport like RL is built on the support of individuals for their team. You essentially want to create a fan who is a dedicated fan of one team who will then attend regular matches based around that team. The yearly experience of a fan is around following the team through the ups and downs of the season. A smaller subset of that base are interested in the wider sport.

Darts is based around a series of events spread across the country, and the individual goes for the day out. They might have a favourite player but they are rarely diehard fans of theirs. They also might go when it is in their local area but then not really follow it again until it next comes around or at a big tournament like the worlds. Darts has done well by making it look like a fun experience, where the darts itself is secondary. It doesn't take a lot to fill an arena once or twice a year compared to 13 times a year.

This is very hard to recreate. A good example is the Magic Weekend, where most fans watch their own team and then leave. 

• 2 months later...
On 29/05/2022 at 21:18, DavidM said:

Just wanted to post this as its not a bad way to win a game

Loved it, but it's actually a bit controversial and can be seen as disrespectful. A bit like you're saying it's so easy that you can try something outrageous.

A player once lost it with Phil Taylor for finishing the match with a bull when the opponent was 200 odd behind.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

19 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Loved it, but it's actually a bit controversial and can be seen as disrespectful. A bit like you're saying it's so easy that you can try something outrageous.

A player once lost it with Phil Taylor for finishing the match with a bull when the opponent was 200 odd behind.

You okay what's in front of you. Whitlock started the trend 10+ plus years ago of using 19 more to round down the score. My fave player. He goes on 19s for 133. Treble 19 and 2 doubles. 

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

9 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Great blast from the past. My favourite of theirs was Duke of Earl.

it was actually gene chandlers but they did a good version - den heggarty - great guy

Edited by graveyard johnny

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

11 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

it was actually gene chandlers but they did a good version - den heggarty - great guy

Cheers Johnny for the info.  Never really been into music apart from what I hear on the radio or TOTP so I had never heard of Gene Chandler 😳

So after listening to his version I would like to doth my Top Hat in appreciation of his great voice.  The video after that showed him performing the song live at San Bernardino in 2018 when he was in his 80’s.  A performance that brought a big smile to my face and reyt made my day.

Thanks for the Den Haggerty clip it could only have been bettered if Sally James was in shot wearing ….. ahem, ahem never mind!   IIRC I once read that he had been taken into hospital -and I don’t mean the local Infirmary- because he tried to recreate Bobby Charlton’s first goal in the 1968 European Cup Final by running then leaping up to head-butt a light shade hanging from a ceiling …… unfortunately the light shade was of glass!!!!

Edited by Adelaide Tiger
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

You okay what's in front of you. Whitlock started the trend 10+ plus years ago of using 19 more to round down the score. My fave player. He goes on 19s for 133. Treble 19 and 2 doubles. 

Oh I've got no problem with it, just pointing out what some might not realise. If you see him after it, he's quite apologetic for that reason. The other guy seems impressed if anything.

On a similar theme, the darts referee has started a podcast. Towards the beginning they are talking about how darts used to be, and give a few examples of where they were chastised for 'going the wrong way' when finishing as children. 

The example the guy uses is being 12 and having 92 left. He hit a 20 and had 72 left. As a young lad all he could think was two 36s make 72. However, this wasn't seen as the 'done thing' and he was told off for being cocky.

There's also an interesting bit about alcohol and darts and the prevalence among players amateur and professional to need a drink before they play. I find this mad, mainly because if I have even 1 beer it makes me a lot worse. 

• 6 months later...

It isn't Christmas without the world darts championship!

MVG is the favourite, but I'll be rooting for Michael Smith after finally winning a TV title recently.

Most interesting early match I can see is Beau Greaves vs Willie O'Connor. This young girl could be the real deal, and has been on a ridiculous run in the women's game. She's definitely in better form than Fallon Sherrock, who the PDC have fudged the rules for to get in the tournament. Sadly, I'm not looking forward to seeing the reaction to her as a result.

• Like 1

MVG 11/4

Price 6/1

M Smith 13/2

Snakebite Wright 9/1

Humphries 14/1

Rock 14/1

Ferrett Clayton 20/1

DVD 28/1

Cross 28/1

Noppert 33/1

Chizzy 33/1

Dancing Dmitri 33/1

The Asp 33/1

Cullen 40/1

Amazing given his record here that you can get Anderson at 50/1 , although hes way off form and basically part time . Wade at 80/1 and Barney at 100/1.

Josh Rock is a rare talent so I’m looking forward to seeing him 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DavidM said:

MVG 11/4

Price 6/1

M Smith 13/2

Snakebite Wright 9/1

Humphries 14/1

Rock 14/1

Ferrett Clayton 20/1

DVD 28/1

Cross 28/1

Noppert 33/1

Chizzy 33/1

Dancing Dmitri 33/1

The Asp 33/1

Cullen 40/1

Amazing given his record here that you can get Anderson at 50/1 , although hes way off form and basically part time . Wade at 80/1 and Barney at 100/1.

Josh Rock is a rare talent so I’m looking forward to seeing him 

Surprised to see Rock at such short odds. People have been raving about him for a while now but still thought it was early.

Some decent games so far, although round 1 can often be disappointing mismatches.

Stand outs were the first Phillipines player Ilagan winning and the Hempel match last night, both going down to the wire.

Beau Greaves sadly lost 3-0 but she played really well in patches, just unlucky to come across O'Connor. I suspect she'd have beaten a good number of other players from the first round. I'm pretty sure O'Connor has the current highest average of any 1st round player.

On 21/12/2022 at 14:33, Number 16 said:

Fallon blew it against Rapid Ricky. 

Barney looked good beating Miekle and meets Price in the 2nd Round, who he recently defeated twice in the Grand Slam.

She actually played better than she has been doing and was arguably better than Evans (her average was higher), she just got the moments wrong. The Barney-Price game will be one to watch; I do like Barney's throw, it's so smooth. 

Quite a big upset today, as Wade went out to Jim Williams. Somehow doubt he'll be missed too much! Rock played well yesterday too, pretty easily beat Callan Rydz who has gone right off the boil. His match against Apsinall could be up there with Barney-Price for the one to watch in Round 2.

• Like 1