What A Player!

eclecticsheep

We always get back to talking about Watersheddings, people who aren't old enough to remember it won't understand. I often tell my son about, I don't think he gets it. It was a magical place with atmosphere that was unparalleled. I miss it immensely even to this day. Thankful for the fact we still have a club to support,though its not the same. 😥

I can still shudder when I remember lurking below the pavilion steps when The shadow of Mr Boyd went very close by...Interestingly also at the  above game at Mayfield I was reminiscing with a Mature Wigan St Pats Fan about when Paddy Kirwan scored that wonderful scoot v the pies all those years ago his friend/relative actually died in the ground during the game????

I only played there once, watched 100 plus matches there with my dad uncle and mates. 

I still look across when I drive up Ripponden Road and try and image the old girl. 

At the end we were betrayed by the council.

Alot of people felt rugby died when sheddings shut.

1 hour ago, clifford said:

I only played there once, watched 100 plus matches there with my dad uncle and mates. 

I still look across when I drive up Ripponden Road and try and image the old ######. 

At the end we were betrayed by the council.

Alot of people felt rugby died when sheddings shut.

I often look to my right on the way up Rippy Rd. It still seems strange not to see the ground. The council did shaft us. And yes I think when sheddings went we lost a massive part of the club that will never be replaced. Not even a brand new stadium could do that. 

6 hours ago, Curlywurly2 said:

On Tuesday it will be 25 years since Sheddings closed 😭

A freezing cold, foggy day. The very last game at our 'spiritual Home'. Against Swinton.

We won. Yet it was sadly, very sadly, the biggest loss in our history.

I know. I was there (with my dear old dad). 

Watersheddings.   And my dear old dad.   Both gone.   Yet NEVER forgotten. 😭

8 hours ago, ArthurO said:

A freezing cold, foggy day. The very last game at our 'spiritual Home'. Against Swinton.

We won. Yet it was sadly, very sadly, the biggest loss in our history.

I know. I was there (with my dear old dad). 

Watersheddings.   And my dear old dad.   Both gone.   Yet NEVER forgotten. 😭

I was there too. 😥

Up the steps in to the penny rush to watch Phil Larder on the wing...and later the total pleasure of watching the often freezing A Team evening matches and the almost surreal times when the Dog Racing Track was in full flow also, for me it was the awe of getting so close to the warriors between the pavilion and the tunnel where else can you do that? 

If you have watched football lately just see how many players are inciting the crowds and the plastic bottles etc are flying down...No Respect.(their antics often dont warrant it on occasion)

As has been said Sport like Society has changed and it seems to me to be for the worse were Respect is concerned.

My neighbour is 75 and he says to me he is glad to have lived through the times he has, I think I get that especially when it comes to Rugby League at The Sheddings!  Happy Days!

16 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

I was there too. 😥

A terrible day.

A couple of weeks later there was an unadvertised A team fixture at the ground on a Saturday. I knew about it and went along. 

Just as with the earlier game we won with a late try by Joe McNicholas.

The next time I passed it was flattened.

Still miss it. 

19 hours ago, Bert Street said:

A terrible day.

A couple of weeks later there was an unadvertised A team fixture at the ground on a Saturday. I knew about it and went along. 

Just as with the earlier game we won with a late try by Joe McNicholas.

The next time I passed it was flattened.

Still miss it. 

Bloody awful isn't it. I think everyone old enough to remember misses it. An absolute travesty.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/01/2022 at 08:03, shrewsbury roughyed said:

It was a tough walk back for the players if they’d been rubbish. 

To leave the pitch players used to walk to the corner by the Pavilion, as opposed to going back under the main stand, thereby mingling with fans.

On one occasion a lad I was at school with got punched in the face by Don Vines, who was by then playing for Wakefield Trinity. Don always had a hair trigger temper but in the aftermath said that he’d been kicked by someone and what he did was just an automatic reaction.

My schoolmate told us on the Monday he hadn’t done anything wrong but seemed quite happy with his 15 minutes of fame and the matter went no further.

Imagine it happening today with every man and his dog (obviously a very clever dog) carrying a mobile phone to video each waking moment.

Don died in 1989 and I’m sure would be well remembered by any other old timers on here.

Having watched the Yeds for over 60 years I look back at all the great grounds that have gone. Obviously Watersheddings has to be my favourite but Station Road, Thrum Hall, Maclaren Field, Central Park, Wilderspool, Knowlsey Road, Fartown, Athletic Grounds, Crown Flats, Parkside, Tatters Field to name a few. Great memories from all of them.

5 hours ago, jroyales said:

Having watched the Yeds for over 60 years I look back at all the great grounds that have gone. Obviously Watersheddings has to be my favourite but Station Road, Thrum Hall, Maclaren Field, Central Park, Wilderspool, Knowlsey Road, Fartown, Athletic Grounds, Crown Flats, Parkside, Tatters Field to name a few. Great memories from all of them.

The old grounds were far better for atmosphere,these new one's are too sterile. The only one I like is the Hull FC ground whatever it's called now. But that said,Hull do turn out for their rugby league. My personal old ground favorite these days is Cougar park.

Archived