Jump to content

Stadium updates .......


Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Derwent said:

A 5,000 capacity stadium is perfectly adequate for both clubs needs at the moment. There is no need to build bigger just for the sake of it. I’m in my mid 50s and I can’t see Town ever gracing SL again in my lifetime, and let’s be honest the RFL won’t be falling over themselves to bring any big events up here again after the World Cup fiasco.

Plus, if built right, a 5,000 capacity can easily be extended either permanently or temporarily. Build it as a rectangle with open corners and the corners can either be built on or temporary stands installed as and when required.

As I've said earlier - no need to build all 4 stands - just leave the ends for now and spend the money on 1 decent main stand and a covered stand on the other side for standing only.

That means we get 2 better quality stands and facilities and leave room to expand in the future.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, Derwent Parker said:

If this is the case why not stick with the original plans that everybody was happy with apart from Jenkinson

The original plans would have needed a lot more investment, part of which was from a government fund that is no longer available to us.

The original plans were to build on BP, you know that right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

As I've said earlier - no need to build all 4 stands - just leave the ends for now and spend the money on 1 decent main stand and a covered stand on the other side for standing only.

That means we get 2 better quality stands and facilities and leave room to expand in the future.

It would also leave space to expand in the future should we need to, something I hope is built into that ever we end up with. It costs a lot less to add that on during construction rather than try and retrofit it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dkw said:

No, all the space ar DP doesn't matter because we won't be able to use it to build a new sports stadium on, because the ground isn't suitable and the groundwork alone would run into millions to make it suitable.

Well if that's the case why do people keep saying it can be sold by council for development if as you say "isn't suitable and the groundwork alone would run into millions to make it suitable"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Derwent Parker said:

Well if that's the case why do people keep saying it can be sold by council for development if as you say "isn't suitable and the groundwork alone would run into millions to make it suitable"

Erm, because its not suitable for a stadium doesn't mean its not suitable for anything. The groundwork needed to build foundations for a grandstand is the problem, the ground is poor until you get to a depth, that's where the huge cost comes into it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, dkw said:

The original plans would have needed a lot more investment, part of which was from a government fund that is no longer available to us.

The original plans were to build on BP, you know that right?

Yes, but they weren't aiming low - it was a 8k stadium which looked good - wasn't just a cheap built tin sheeted effort either. it was good enough for WC too

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Derwent Parker said:

Yes, but they weren't aiming low - it was a 8k stadium which looked good - wasn't just a cheap built tin sheeted effort either. it was good enough for WC too

I agree, that would have been perfect but jenkinson ruined those plans because hes a tool.

But we can't fund that anymore, so had to scale back the plans.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

Yes, but they weren't aiming low - it was a 8k stadium which looked good - wasn't just a cheap built tin sheeted effort either. it was good enough for WC too

how do you know it will be a tin sheet? have you seen the plans ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Derwent Parker said:

If this is going to work then it should be better for both clubs not just reds .Town have 10k ish capacity and we keep hearing that they are aiming at 5k - How is that an improvement.

Derwent Park was de regulated and no longer classed as a designated stadium a couple of years ago having had its capacity reduced. Essentially any stadium capable of having a capacity of 10000 is a designated stadium and has to ensure it meets all the relevant criteria for safety. With an old stadium like Derwent Park it probably costs a fortune just to ensure you get a safety certificate. We now have two covered stands which are regulated in so far as they need fire safety certificates, but not a  safety certificate under the sports grounds act, but it brings the capacity down to less than 5k. A brand new stadium with a 5k capacity has got to be a big plus not just for fans, but players, staff and probably most of all the directors of both clubs who won’t have to continually try to find money for repairs just so that fans are allowed in. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Derwent Parker said:

How much funding?  Both grounds are well past sell by date not just DP

Derwent Park and Borough park sites were both assessed for suitably for the original RL World Cup stadium proposal. Borough Park was chosen as the better site as the plan was to develop the river bank up to the sports centre and its proximity to the town centre.

Derwent park was a more problematic site as it’s contaminated land (ex tip) and the main sewer runs under the current main grandstand so there’s building restrictions as to how close you can build to the sewer.

it was all well documented and in the report and feasibility study released by Allerdale at the time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Derwent said:

A 5,000 capacity stadium is perfectly adequate for both clubs needs at the moment. There is no need to build bigger just for the sake of it. I’m in my mid 50s and I can’t see Town ever gracing SL again in my lifetime, and let’s be honest the RFL won’t be falling over themselves to bring any big events up here again after the World Cup fiasco.

Plus, if built right, a 5,000 capacity can easily be extended either permanently or temporarily. Build it as a rectangle with open corners and the corners can either be built on or temporary stands installed as and when required.

How many thousand seats can you get in the corners?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

As I've said earlier - no need to build all 4 stands - just leave the ends for now and spend the money on 1 decent main stand and a covered stand on the other side for standing only.

That means we get 2 better quality stands and facilities and leave room to expand in the future.

You mean same as what we have at DP just new

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, town blue said:

If the new 5000 capacity ground goes ahead, surely the plans provide the opportunity to increase the capacity if required in the future?

Depends what you build - if you build on all 4 sides and the capacity is 5k then you have to knock something down to build something bigger.

If you build a 2k seat Grandstand on each long side and a 1k terrace on one end then you still have an end to build on,

It will be cheaper to go 8k now than 5k now and in future have to demolish and rebuild a stand which wont happen.

Everything is expensive but in the big picture it wont be that much more to build a 2k seater stand than a 1k stand for example.

Do it right - do it once.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

Derwent Park and Borough park sites were both assessed for suitably for the original RL World Cup stadium proposal. Borough Park was chosen as the better site as the plan was to develop the river bank up to the sports centre and its proximity to the town centre.

Derwent park was a more problematic site as it’s contaminated land (ex tip) and the main sewer runs under the current main grandstand so there’s building restrictions as to how close you can build to the sewer.

it was all well documented and in the report and feasibility study released by Allerdale at the time.

I thought both grounds were built on old tips?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dkw said:

Erm, because its not suitable for a stadium doesn't mean its not suitable for anything. The groundwork needed to build foundations for a grandstand is the problem, the ground is poor until you get to a depth, that's where the huge cost comes into it.

so what is it suitable for?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Town blue white said:

I thought both grounds were built on old tips?

wasn't all the drilling and samples taken on the BP site when the previous plans were in place and everything was given the ok for that site? I'm sure it was but could be totally wrong. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Derwent Parker said:

How many thousand seats can you get in the corners?

Well Warrington filled in the corners of their East Stand a few years ago and increased capacity by 2,500

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Well Warrington filled in the corners of their East Stand a few years ago and increased capacity by 2,500

were they only 5k capacity though before that - if 4 sides = 5k the corners wont add another 2.5k

Edited by Derwent Parker
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

were they only 5k capacity though before that - if 4 sides = 5k the corners wont add another 2.5k

They only filled in 2 corners and their stands are a lot bigger than Towns would be.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rockerlad said:

wasn't all the drilling and samples taken on the BP site when the previous plans were in place and everything was given the ok for that site? I'm sure it was but could be totally wrong. 

Yes that's correct.  A mate of mine was given digging rights to look for old bottles etc, went they pulled bp ground down. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share




×
×
  • Create New...