Challenge Cup 3rd & 4th Round Draw - Tuesday evening

I like the Challenge Cup but would like Super League teams in earlier. Would like to see Thunder against a Super League team.

As for our draw, tough trip to York. But have a feeling we'll be sick of the sight of each other as we have them at Summer Bash too!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ShropshireBull said:

Exactly we´ve got plenty of good teams in Champ who good now give a stiff test in a cup atmosphere and having SL sides enter in last 32 (plus top 4 champ last season to give them a reward) would be excellent and make winning the thing feel a bit more earned. 

If people are worried about all French final, we can just say that Catalan and Toulouse play in last 32 to decide the French representative in that years cup. 

Agree with the first paragraph. Don’t agree with the second one, I wouldn’t find it fair if they started playing in the cup and we had to have just one Super League representative from France. 

53 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:
50 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Agree with the first paragraph. Don’t agree with the second one, I wouldn’t find it fair if they started playing in the cup and we had to have just one Super League representative from France. 

If people are worried about all French final, we can just say that Catalan and Toulouse play in last 32 to decide the French representative in that years cup. 

Once again TO have opted not to compete in the  challenge cup

17 minutes ago, clogdance said:

Yeah. Shouldn't be allowed to 'pick and choose', they either want to be involved in our competitions or they don't....end of  discussion.

We no it’s not end of discussion. TO are not RL members - and are not allowed to be - so they can pick and choose.

Catalans were told to put up a bond to take part the other year. Who knows if TO may have been asked the same.

Galway were forced to play away (as are other non GB teams) in their first round tie.

There needs to a clear and concise and consistent level playing field for all entrants and then clubs would have no need to pick and choose.

1 minute ago, theswanmcr said:

We no it’s not end of discussion. TO are not RL members - and are not allowed to be - so they can pick and choose.

Catalans were told to put up a bond to take part the other year. Who knows if TO may have been asked the same.

Galway were forced to play away (as are other non GB teams) in their first round tie.

There needs to a clear and concise and consistent level playing field for all entrants and then clubs would have no need to pick and choose.

Okay smarty pants, they should want to take part in this historic prestigious cup competition, but then again they are a French team so they probably don't give a monkey's about the challenge cup.

9 minutes ago, clogdance said:

Okay smarty pants, they should want to take part in this historic prestigious cup competition, but then again they are a French team so they probably don't give a monkey's about the challenge cup.

No need for the ‘smarty pants’ remark. Just discussing things with you.

Yeah ideally everyone should want to take part - reality is that for many the cup (like in football) is not priority. I remember TO in the semi-finals and that run was brilliant. I’d guess SL and staying up is priority this year though.

Cornwall aren’t in this year either, and looking at West Wales score the other day then that decision looks a good one to give them more time for the main season.

It all depends on each club’s individual circumstance and RFLs conditions of entry for them.

6 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

Yeah ideally everyone should want to take part - reality is that for many the cup (like in football) is not priority. I remember TO in the semi-finals and that run was brilliant. I’d guess SL and staying up is priority this year though.

Cornwall aren’t in this year either, and looking at West Wales score the other day then that decision looks a good one to give them more time for the main season.

It all depends on each club’s individual circumstance and RFLs conditions of entry for them.

Fair enough, sorry about that.

9 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Dont want the thread to get hijacked but my position was a compromise between wanting all teams to take part and avoiding the bond position due to potential all french final. 

I accept when people say all teams in pyramid should take part but then you cant ask for bonds or French clubs to pay travel expenses.  It all has to come from a common pot. 

I agree, we don't know if this applicable this season, but asking Catalans to pay a £500,000 bond was ridiculous in itself. Are they owned by PSG football club ? 🙄

17 hours ago, Jughead said:

This new format has passed me by, it seems. Before reading the second round review today, I thought the second round winners went straight in with the Championship sides, rather than just having six League One and amateur sides going in the draw with them. I feel it’s a shame as Lock Lane, especially, deserve a big day at a Leigh or Fev as a reward for beating Oldham. 

Championship sides have been coming in at round 4 for several years now. That part isn't new.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

12 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Big banana skin for Skolars in R3 and some tasty ties in R4. Broncos will be happy with Bradford at Plough Lane - a TV tie, I fancy.

I'm not sure it's even a banana skin. Parkside will be clear favourites.

Bradford is about the best tie the Broncos could have had to attract any new fans along to a cup game. A decent name that most folk will recognise.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

28 minutes ago, Griff said:

Championship sides have been coming in at round 4 for several years now. That part isn't new.

There was never only six League One and amateur sides joining them. Twelve L1 and amateur sides went up against Championship sides in 2019. 

9 hours ago, theswanmcr said:

DOUBT it TO first opted out  in 2018 way before the infamous bond and have not participated since  This will be their  5th year sat watching the proceedings

11 hours ago, Jughead said:

Toulouse should not be allowed to choose whether to participate or not, if they want to play in the RFL system they should play in the Challenge Cup no if's or but's it should be compulsory.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Toulouse should not be allowed to choose whether to participate or not, if they want to play in the RFL system they should play in the Challenge Cup no if's or but's it should be compulsory.

Fair enough and I’ve no problem with that. But it should be on level terms eg they should be RFL members (or an associate with same rights etc). Also other clubs must participate too eg Cornwall if you go down that route.

38 minutes ago, Jughead said:

There was never only six League One and amateur sides joining them. Twelve L1 and amateur sides went up against Championship sides in 2019. 

So a different thing has changed.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

9 hours ago, theswanmcr said:

Bang on,my own amateur club has a illustrious history in the Challenge Cup,including 2 games against Toulouse,but didn’t enter this year because of the early start,circumstances do play a part in teams entry,be it in this country or in France unfortunately.

Archived