Sat 26th-Mon 28th Feb: The Betfred Challenge Cup Round Four Match Thread

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Noticeably this was your last comment on the game, did you not watch the second half or did Leigh put a spanner in your thought process that they are so far behind Fev that the Championship is already a foregone conclusion?

As each game passes and the bunch of players at Leigh are getting to know each others play and the coaching systems the improvement is getting better each week.

Talking about the coaching, there is a lot of emphasis on keeping the ball moving, and not just the dour stuff played by Wigan last season, perhaps the player's at Wigan were not capable of this type of offensive football.

Watched about 10 minutes of the second half and had it on in the background for the rest. I saw nothing that changes my opinion of anything that I have said previously. Widnes were in a false position, they had beaten poor teams and only had a mudbath win against Fax where you may as well have tossed a coin before the start of the game to decide the winner as the conditions were so bad. I thought Fev were pretty average against us at the weekend but I never truly thought we were in a position to win the game and thought Fev had plenty of gears to go through if needed. Maybe Leigh can change my mind in a couple of weeks time.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Derek and Mark would throw cash at players in May that many SL clubs couldnt match, come October they would all be under contract elsewhere.

As much as Craig often appears to be the officially sanctioned propaganda wing of the Leigh management, I think he has a fair point.

If Beaumont has been truthful in stating that his players are on one-year contracts this year, there is going to be a feeding frenzy in May. The agents of McDonald, Asiata, Amone, Akins and probably a number of others from the squad if they continue in form are going to be getting offers guaranteeing them a SL contract in 2023 (especially if Toulouse look doomed to relegation by then) which Leigh wouldn't be able to do until after the Grand Final in October.

Same goes for Fev with the likes of Leilua of course, as happened with Harrison and Halton last May, and indeed any other teams with players who have SL potential (Dupree at Widnes being another possible example).

Do I see it happening, no probably not, but this is always going to be the issue with promotion and relegation when the promotion spot isn't decided until October.

25 minutes ago, Josef K said:

I believe Widnes have condoned a few of their own fans that went on the pitch after the game. If they had planned to go on to the pitch wouldn’t they have been better going on during the match to help Widnes tighten up their defence. I always thought it was illegal for spectators to do such a thing ?. 

dont think the majority of their fans were happy with the bottle throwing either

2 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

As much as Craig often appears to be the officially sanctioned propaganda wing of the Leigh management, I think he has a fair point.

If Beaumont has been truthful in stating that his players are on one-year contracts this year, there is going to be a feeding frenzy in May. The agents of McDonald, Asiata, Amone, Akins and probably a number of others from the squad if they continue in form are going to be getting offers guaranteeing them a SL contract in 2023 (especially if Toulouse look doomed to relegation by then) which Leigh wouldn't be able to do until after the Grand Final in October.

Same goes for Fev with the likes of Leilua of course, as happened with Harrison and Halton last May, and indeed any other teams with players who have SL potential (Dupree at Widnes being another possible example).

Do I see it happening, no probably not, but this is always going to be the issue with promotion and relegation when the promotion spot isn't decided until October.

I have been known to throw excellent strategy in with complete wind up

11 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Fev won't be relishing going to Batley, on the other hand can't see Leigh slipping up at Bradford.

I'd agree with that, Featherstone haven't really played anywhere near their potential so far, or the standard of last year.  Batley will give us a game unless we suddenly click.  Although it helps that we're used to a slope...

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Talking about the coaching, there is a lot of emphasis on keeping the ball moving, and not just the dour stuff played by Wigan last season, perhaps the player's at Wigan were not capable of this type of offensive football.

They seem to be managing it this season.

17 hours ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Mate, we could include Cameron Munster and not get close to bridging the gap tonight. With regards to where we'll finish, if we come 4th or 5th who do you reckon is nailed on for 3rd?

ATM the only ' nailing ' is Fev top 2 , I suppose without having seen most of the rest I'd have had Fax in or around 3rd , but Barrow are looking good , apart from Fev , all play off spots are up for grab still IMO

7 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

dont think the majority of their fans were happy with the bottle throwing either

Do most grounds have cctv and if they do is there anyone monitoring the crowd. I was thinking do stewards notify the people working the cctv and then they can take footage of any unruly behaviour. 
It’s quite worrying hearing about the bother at HKR, Saints. The Chavs & Chavettes who kick off at games obviously have anger management problems. 

Fev fan...was very impressed by Leigh last night in all departments. Improving fast and on a par with Fev based on that showing. We are missing a bit of muscle and biff in the pack at the moment but there is a lot more to come from us yet. The talk of it being a stroll for us though is fanciful. Probably three more games against Leigh, but the only one that matters is the one game shoot out at the end. They are closely matched just now. Injuries and suspensions etc will play a part especially before the play off final. Lot to unfold yet but to say Fev shouldn't lose a game as some people is a pretty dumb thing to say this early on the season.

23 hours ago, Scubby said:

The winners of the five fifth round ties will enter the 1895 Cup. Three of them will be a single win from the final at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on Saturday May 28, with the other two to face a play-off to earn their place in the semi finals.

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/sportlatest/19954044.challenge-cup-draw-leigh-game-1895-cup-details-set/

The 1895 cup doesn't seem like a cup anymore, more a Challenge Cup play off. I thought it was initially designed for those clubs getting knocked out of the Challenge Cup early?

How is it decided which 2 teams have to play in a playoff match?

1 minute ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

You would hope it is just a straight draw. Bag of five - first two SF 1 v SF2 and the SF 2 v Play Off 1 v Play Off 2

9 hours ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

IF one of the firth round winners  win in the sixth round of the Challenge Cup they move straight to the semi-finals of the 1895 Cup. Two of the remaining qualified teams will be drawn into a play-off round before the semi-final stage.IF no one wins in sixth round all go in pot for playoff

Archived