It’s official, RL is the UK’s second most loved sport

Eddie

According to the article Woodford Green and Essex Ladies Athletics team are 15th popular sports team in the U.K. Manchester United aren't in the top 15. You learn something every day.

56 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Great news, I look forward to Sports Direct putting loads of RL gear into their stores.

I was about to say, they’ve listed it as second most-popular but fail to mention you can’t get RL items from them! 

I would have thought there was a chance we could get them to stock GB/England/Aus shirts? At least in the North.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

21 hours ago, Eddie said:

I don`t know any thing about Sports Direct and therefore I have no knowledge whether they have a vested interest in Rugby League and thereby may be falsifying the results of this survey for their own self interest.

Having said that I wouldn`t be so quick to dismiss the results of the survey as it quite clearly says it measures:

Sports Direct has revealed the UK's most popular sports and teams in a new ranking.

The article does then go on to focus on teams with as some pointing out, some odd omissions, however the article does say it measures sports as well. Given then the method of determining the popularity i.e. ranking of particular sports :

The ranking was also constructed by looking at online mentions, social following and fan engagement.

It then wouldn`t surprise me, given the number of people that attend Rugby League throughout the year, one of the most attended sports in the country I recall being said before, the popularity of forums such as this, with literally hundreds of thousands of interactions and visits, and especially probably when compared to other sports, not including football, could be the reason that League ranks so highly.

Happy for this foreigner to be corrected if I`m way off the mark or have missed something best described as the bleedin` obvious.

Good news but a liberal use of the word 'official' I think. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived