Good news Wakey Stadium

10 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

This is disengenous, the RFL handed it over and gave up. The success or failure of WRL is completely tied up in what the RFL is prepared to do.

The RFL were wrong to do it the way they did but it does help massively with Sport England funding here and the equivalent in the other nations.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

The plan has to be joined up with England committing to playing Wales and France plus 1 annually as it´s based around growing an annueal international tournament up here. So having a team that gets decent averages and is a pathway tothe game plus and academy in the south would allow WRL to generate the commercial sponsorship to make a welsh team competitive. It´s how all the Welsh regions in RU exist and it works. 

But this means this attitude of individual barons at each little fiefdom of a club needs to transform into a serious joined up vision. 

Your last para shows how delusional are. 

You are happy to champion what is quite frankly a stupid idea and spend millions on a small stadium in Wrexham whilst criticising those who are investing time, effort and money into the game. 

I take the point of supporting other nations, and even an academy to an extent, but wasting millions on a small stadium is just odd. 

8 hours ago, Wholly Trinity said:

As I've stated before, this iteration is completely different to anything that has been attempted before.

It's 3 years since the club gained the freehold of the stadium and surrounding land and the decision was made to redevelop the BV site rather than continually chase the pipe dream of having a brand new purpose-built stadium provided. 

Previously, BV was not a option as there was no funding for such a project and the minimum standards were higher (12k with 5k seated?). 10k with 2.5k seated is now feasible, especially if done in stages.

This development is the first to be taken on by the club itself, as others were planned and designed by 3rd parties. 

For the first time ever in 40/50 years, promised funding has materialised. The club itself is in control. Although the plans are more modest, they are also realistic. 

I'll reply to you WT in the hope I'll get a sensible reply , others previously ignored the first line and went on the usual attack 

Firstly , don't take this the wrong way , will this 2,500 seater stand actually get used ? , I'm meaning the actual seats , not the other facilities within it ,from experience RL fans tend to prefer to stand , I can see there being 500 in this stand and another 4/5 K stll spread around the various terraces at BV , would it not have been better to have a 4,000 capacity terrace instead and a smaller seated one opposite ? 

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Or we can just spunk the millions on clubs through central distribution who had no home and are never going to have one where they generate their own revenue nor is it an asset that can go on a balance sheet or be used. We can also block clubs who might generate rev to protect those economically unviable clubs. Excellent, Righto.

Second the rfl are paid to run the sport, so they aren´t just some hardy volunteers, who mentioned having a go at anyone that was? Put you straw man back in his little box. 

Funding the sport is not spunking millions. 

The clubs and players ARE the sport. 

Constantly looking for crackpot ideas that are not things is bizarre. 

23 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I'll reply to you WT in the hope I'll get a sensible reply , others previously ignored the first line and went on the usual attack 

Firstly , don't take this the wrong way , will this 2,500 seater stand actually get used ? , I'm meaning the actual seats , not the other facilities within it ,from experience RL fans tend to prefer to stand , I can see there being 500 in this stand and another 4/5 K stll spread around the various terraces at BV , would it not have been better to have a 4,000 capacity terrace instead and a smaller seated one opposite ? 

The current half stand is not popular- mainly older types who need to sit down. I've only ever been in that stand once myself. The quality is not great.

The North terrace has only become popular with home fans since Glover put a roof over it. Previously, it was mainly away fans. 

I used to go in the south stand in my youth before it was demolished and then on the West terrace before the west stand was demolished. I then moved to the Western end of the North terrace after that and stayed there.

Most fans do indeed like to stand.

Maybe the novelty of the new stand will encourage some more to go there and the hospitality types will need to take their seat to watch the game, unlike in the benidorm flats which have balconies. Where will those who currently stand on the east terrace go? I guess the club hope to create a new market and maybe there will be an away section. The new stand will be higher revenue.

We need 2.5k seats somewhere. The problem with building on the other sides is, I believe, the structure of the victorian foundations (Ash?).

I guess the stand won't often be full but I feel 500 is a bit of an underestimate, probably more than that currently go there. 1500 would be more likely and would look OK. 

Access wiil be direct from the enlarged car park. There will also be a fanzine there.  

All the rest of the home fans will be on the North terrace (which will also be renovated) has limited capacity- 4k? So any uplift in home support will mean the new stand will fill up. 

The Western terrace is for away fans these days and is often closed for games against French teams. 

10 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I really hope they do just get on with it and something happens other than just releasing plans. I thought they were about to start building 20+ years ago, so for me I will only believe the latest plans once shovels actually hit the ground and building work has begun. 

That's the spirit....backing a club that has tried and tried and tried , against all sorts of difficulties. I'm no supporter of Wakefield...or Leeds,.or Saints...but I'm just tired of all the negativity aimed at  some clubs. Of course, I will make an exception in the case of some Leeds fans. 😀😀

4 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

The current half stand is not popular- mainly older types who need to sit down. I've only ever been in that stand once myself. The quality is not great.

The North terrace has only become popular with home fans since Glover put a roof over it. Previously, it was mainly away fans. 

I used to go in the south stand in my youth before it was demolished and then on the West terrace before the west stand was demolished. I then moved to the Western end of the North terrace after that and stayed there.

Most fans do indeed like to stand.

Maybe the novelty of the new stand will encourage some more to go there and the hospitality types will need to take their seat to watch the game, unlike in the benidorm flats which have balconies. Where will those who currently stand on the east terrace go? I guess the club hope to create a new market and maybe there will be an away section. The new stand will be higher revenue.

We need 2.5k seats somewhere. The problem with building on the other sides is, I believe, the structure of the victorian foundations (Ash?).

I guess the stand won't often be full but I feel 500 is a bit of an underestimate, probably more than that currently go there. 1500 would be more likely and would look OK. 

Access wiil be direct from the enlarged car park. There will also be a fanzine there.  

All the rest of the home fans will be on the North terrace (which will also be renovated) has limited capacity- 4k? So any uplift in home support will mean the new stand will fill up. 

The Western terrace is for away fans these days and is often closed for games against French teams. 

So there is to be extra corporate in this new stand ? , Will it get used apart from the 2 derbys ?

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

If I may join this discussion, I would say that 2k public seats isn't excessive and as they are likely to be the premium area of the ground, demand for these seats really should increase. It allows you to charge more money and can help to appeal to families. 

I agree with the principal, and always think it is important to get the balance right, but I dont see anything in those plans that suggest they have gone over the top with seating. 

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If I may join this discussion, I would say that 2k public seats isn't excessive and as they are likely to be the premium area of the ground, demand for these seats really should increase. It allows you to charge more money and can help to appeal to families. 

I agree with the principal, and always think it is important to get the balance right, but I dont see anything in those plans that suggest they have gone over the top with seating. 

Time will tell , viewing angles aren't great at BV , seems a shame to not offer your core support the best available IMO , if your charging more , less families will take it up , again IMO 

I look at the north stand at the LSV , that's where the families are , that's where the kids can run about with their mates , I'd suspect it's the same at the HJ , it's where the singing is , it's where the atmosphere is created , it's where people want to go 

4 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

Yes. 300 seat restaurant and function room. Non-matchday revenue is the hope for the new facilities. Benidorm flats will remain also.

Fully understand the need for that , will you still need the flats ? , Sell them to Fev perhaps ? 😉

11 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Fully understand the need for that , will you still need the flats ? , Sell them to Fev perhaps ? 😉

The plan is to keep them for now. Probably a slightly different hospitality market. 

I don't think we actually paid for them, so they owe us nothing. Still seem OK but been there a long time for a temporary structure. 

So there is to be extra corporate in this new stand ? , Will it get used apart from the 2 derbys ?

Yes, it will, as has been pointed out.

Also, when Fev come up next year, we'll have 3 Derbys.

You would hope so. They are surely going to demolish those god-awful council flats (sorry "executive hospitality stand") later on as part of the stadium development?? They will then need the hospitality areas in the new stand. 

You aren't telling me they are keeping that thing! 

On 24/03/2022 at 21:32, TheFlash said:

You would hope so. They are surely going to demolish those god-awful council flats (sorry "executive hospitality stand") later on as part of the stadium development?? They will then need the hospitality areas in the new stand. 

Those "god-awful flats" are full for hospitality EVERY game, every box is sold and the bottom floor is a members bar.

It also houses the current offices.

It's a big earner for the club and even when the new stand is done, it will be retained and used to develop other revenue streams.

I can only assume you haven't been in it?

10 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

I haven't suggested that having new corporate in the new stand is a bad thing , it's a good thing I'd imagine , I'd just suggested a standing terrace would be better than an all seated stand , nothing more , nothing less , and most have replied and discussed it in good faith , but not all 🙄

13 minutes ago, dboy said:

Those "go-awful flats" are full for hospitality EVERY game, every box is sold and the bottom floor is a members bar.

It also houses the current offices.

It's a big earner for the club and even when the new stand is done, it will be retained and used to develop other revenue streams.

I can only assume you haven't been in it?

I have not. I stand corrected - didn't realise it was the club offices. 

Good to know it is such a thriving success. Will this booming hospitality market enable the club to spend the (mediocre) salary cap any time soon?

7 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Good to know it is such a thriving success. Will this booming hospitality market enable the club to spend the (mediocre) salary cap any time soon?

Party in the front, business at the back.

Clearly it's limited in terms of what it can generate, so your chippy "booming" comment is childish.

We could really do with a bigger hospitality facility to really make a "boom".

Oh...wait...

6 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

along with non-matchday income, yes.

The CEO has already stated that an average attendance of 6k would allow full cap spend.

The only way is up.

The old restaurant/bar/function room will become the community gym.

52 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

The CEO has already stated that an average attendance of 6k would allow full cap spend.

The only way is up.

That would be the one in the corner ?

1 hour ago, Wholly Trinity said:

The only way is up.

That is certainly true. 

12 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Time will tell , viewing angles aren't great at BV , seems a shame to not offer your core support the best available IMO , if your charging more , less families will take it up , again IMO 

I look at the north stand at the LSV , that's where the families are , that's where the kids can run about with their mates , I'd suspect it's the same at the HJ , it's where the singing is , it's where the atmosphere is created , it's where people want to go 

Wakefield currently don't have variety for their tickets. They have a poor and small seating area and have plenty of standing (including the corporate). Anyone who wants that can already have it.

That isn't diverse enough for the modern audience Wakefield want to attract. 

If you want to stand, great! You still can and that standing area will be modernised to bring it up to scratch. But for the new audience Wakefield want to be at the games, who frankly Belle Vue is a turn off for, then they need to offer something that is better than the current embarrassment. That's not my words its their CEOs. A man who is acutely aware of the numerous amounts of middle class people around Wakefield who could be a target for the club but they currently have facilities that will make them say "never again" than being excited to come back.

You can't sell to an audience if you don't have the product to do so.

On 23/03/2022 at 21:47, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It’s not down to the RFL to build stadiums, it’s down to the individual clubs (unless we were to build a Rugby League National Stadium that hosted all our Internationals and Finals) 

Did Yorkshire County Cricket facilitate your improvements? Are they paid for yet?

Archived