Can IMG make Rugby League into a more successful sport?

On 29/05/2022 at 21:14, Man of Kent said:

Sort of but not really. It’s a working class sport and always will be.

But, as Damien points out with World Cup sponsors like Cazoo et al, the aim should be more respectable sponsors than those that propagate Northern stereotypes like Mushy feckin’ Peas. That will come with more eyeballs.

The TGG mantra "That needs lookin' at but don't make changes we won't like!"

If IMG do their job properly and we should all hope they do the target groups cannot just be a matter of more workin' class folk that can only be part of the response and solution.

Intentional and unintentional effects will happen any time a sport attempts to widen its audience and change its demographic.

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

11 minutes ago, steve oates said:

We of course have a footprint of clubs around the whole of England and Wales but they are mainly low level semi pro and struggling.

Here's part of the problem claiming it's an M62 sport and then saying well maybe not but it's not at the top level, like most arguments in this area is a changing goal post activity.

The same people will often argue for the grassroots and then in like the above statements will say only one bit of the sport matters.

All these things are cake and eat it arguments and this bit suits me here thank you, propositions.

The problem here will be that IMG can drag RL over the external barriers but may never be able to extricate it from its internal difficulties.

On 29/05/2022 at 12:10, Tommygilf said:

That wasn't BPs point however.

BP said that our sport suffered because our clubs were not in cities that people associate with top level sport. I pointed out that this wasn't true for RU either.

Acceptability isn't as if we're talking Bridgerton or Downton Abbey. In fact, places like Gloucester and Bristol would be distinctly negatively viewed in those circles. Our problem is that we are viewed as, and I assume the facts back this up, a low GDP per capita sport stuck in a small pockets that aren't cultural drivers.

That isn't "Acceptability", its economics.

I really want to believe you've just gone for the ultimate snob points here and mean that you regard the Windsors as not top drawer - because given one of her sons and her eldest daughter live in Gloucestershire, and her eldest granddaughter is married to one of Gloucester's most well-known players, I would imagine the Downton Abbey circles would be quite keen on Gloucester. 

(still doesn't affect the fact that in Gloucester it's the sport of the working man, but still...)

40 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

I really want to believe you've just gone for the ultimate snob points here and mean that you regard the Windsors as not top drawer - because given one of her sons and her eldest daughter live in Gloucestershire, and her eldest granddaughter is married to one of Gloucester's most well-known players, I would imagine the Downton Abbey circles would be quite keen on Gloucester. 

(still doesn't affect the fact that in Gloucester it's the sport of the working man, but still...)

I went to the same school as him to be fair mate, rough as chuff in old Glaws, by the sorts of people Oxford was describing.

5 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

The people who see "acceptability" as the factor in deciding their approach to something.

Oh the "right sort" !

12 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I went to the same school as him to be fair mate, rough as chuff in old Glaws, by the sorts of people Oxford was describing.

Oh I know, but it was the irony that just jumped out at me. FWIW there's a fair bit of crossover between the Beaufort Hunt and Gloucester season tickets, they just tend not to be in the Shed.

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Quite

Yes you'll be allowed in the right sort of school an' all!

14 hours ago, iffleyox said:

mean that you regard the Windsors as not top drawer

I don't think Germans can be top drawer, can they? Deffo championship rather than SL  material.

Back to IMG ... I'm sure there's lots going on and being done but after the story broke and Martyn's interview the usual happened in RL. It went straight to the moment before the  seargent gets hit by the arrow. or

She lets loose all the horses when the corporal is asleep
And he wakes to find the fire's dead and arrows in his hat

13 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Ah, talk about a different path. He's played for England RU and is rubbing shoulders, and a bit more, with royalty while you saw the light and instead slum it up with us oiks. You chose wisely!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

I don't think Germans can be top drawer, can they? Deffo championship rather than SL  material.

Its funny how no German has married into the Royal Family since Queen Mary who was only German because of her father but was born in London.. and so the Queen is only 1/4 German (at a push) and people still refer to the Windsors as German.. yet on another thread a player with an English Grandparent is not worthy of playing for the country becuase they are not really English.... how very Rugby League :kolobok_ph34r::kolobok_dash1:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, RP London said:

Its funny how no German has married into the Royal Family since Queen Mary who was only German because of her father but was born in London.. and so the Queen is only 1/4 German (at a push) and people still refer to the Windsors as German.. yet on another thread a player with an English Grandparent is not worthy of playing for the country becuase they are not really English.... how very Rugby League :kolobok_ph34r::kolobok_dash1:

It's good when people miss the humour.

Did you mean Mary of Tech ?

That argument would be briiliant if I was angry that  England players qualifying on heritage.

And we could dig up the royals give away zeig heils to illustrate the importance of heritage!

Now acceptability isn't about the right people contrary to the rumour it's all about making RL acceptable in corners of the country and society where it has liittle if any foothold. That means making it fashionable to some degree and its events as must be there and must be seen there's. I'm hoping that IMG will be able to address this but given their experience in other places I doubt they'll have come up against anything like the barriers in place.

And change always come at a price, in any case.

Edited by Oxford

44 minutes ago, Oxford said:

It's good when people miss the humour.

Did you mean Mary of Tech ?

That argument would be briiliant if I was angry that  England players qualifying on heritage.

And we could dig up the royals give away zeig heils to illustrate the importance of heritage!

Now acceptability isn't about the right people contrary to the rumour it's all about making RL acceptable in corners of the country and society where it has liittle if any foothold. That means making it fashionable to some degree and its event as must be there and must be seen there's. I'm hoping that IMG will be able to address this but given their experience in other places I doubt they'll have come up against anything like the barriers in place.

And change always come at a price, in any case.

yes it is good when people miss the humour isnt it :kolobok_dash1:

Queen Mary was Mary of Teck (Mary of Tech is the woman you phone to sort your Laptop out :kolobok_ph34r:)  born in Kensington Palace and brought up in the UK

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, RP London said:

Queen Mary was Mary of Teck (Mary of Tech is the woman you phone to sort your Laptop out :kolobok_ph34r:)  born in Kensington Palace and brought up in the UK

We had a discussion about how to spell Teck but weren't interested in looking it up.

Funny how this is what concerns you most in this thread in any case enjoy dein jubilee!

Edited by Oxford

21 hours ago, Damien said:

Ah, talk about a different path. He's played for England RU and is rubbing shoulders, and a bit more, with royalty while you saw the light and instead slum it up with us oiks. You chose wisely!

I know, apparently he wasn't the brightest anyway...

• Haha 1

In the past  I'd havd hoped that people, like IMG, involved in the sport in any way would read threads like this to get to grips with the sport, understand its nature and above all it's fans ......

Those were the days!

On 29/05/2022 at 21:14, Man of Kent said:

Sort of but not really. It’s a working class sport and always will be.

But, as Damien points out with World Cup sponsors like Cazoo et al, the aim should be more respectable sponsors than those that propagate Northern stereotypes like Mushy feckin’ Peas. That will come with more eyeballs.

Nigella promotes mushy peas.

Waitrose promotes mushy peas.

Sainsbury's promotes mushy peas.

MasterChef promotes mushy peas.

Harrods sell Mushy peas.

Fortnum and Masons promotes mushy peas.

Working class sport and always will be.

What a great tagline! 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

The class war was over years ago. The vast majority of the population earns a living from working. Maybe  by "working class" you mean "manual worker"? If so, it's my bet that there as many "manual worker" union fans and players as there are "manual worker" league fans and players.

There may of course be good reasons why RFL administration after RFL administration have failed to convince the sort of sponsors you demand. One of those reasons might be the sport is just not as good as we think it is.

I still have my Wigan shirt that carries the Norweb name. It was Norweb that came up with the £500,000 fee to get Offiah to Wigan. Great sponsor but accused by so many Wiganphobes of ruining the game with filthy lucre, and leading to Wigans domination that also  ruined the game.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

The class war was over years ago. The vast majority of the population earns a living from working. Maybe  by "working class" you mean "manual worker"? If so, it's my bet that there as many "manual worker" union fans and players as there are "manual worker" league fans and players.

Mornin' John

I love this myth but I'm banned from politics on here.

I do think that's a great tag line though. Crackin'!

7 hours ago, Oxford said:

We had a discussion about how to spell Teck but weren't interested in looking it up.

Funny how this is what concerns you most in this thread in any case enjoy dein jubilee!

Knowledge is the key.. I just knew.. history quite important.. 

You seem to have had a sense of humour bypass.. so I'll move on.. its about the 5th thread of this sort on the forum and already discussed it over and over so think people know my views.. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RP London said:

Knowledge is the key.. I just knew.. history quite important.. 

I didn't care RP

38 minutes ago, RP London said:

You seem to have had a sense of humour bypass..

If it comes wrapped in other things probably.

Moving on

Have any other journalists covered this subject or has it washed up on the Murdoch Rocks?

In the meantime .....

4 hours ago, JohnM said:

Harrods sell Mushy peas.

But Mushy Peas promote TGG!

Probably the first thing IMG need to concentrate on is finding the funding to put together a proper international calender , if the money is there , the southern hemisphere should follow , hopefully 😬

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JohnM said:

Harrods sell Mushy peas.

Working class sport and always will be.

What a great tagline! 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

There may of course be good reasons why RFL administration after RFL administration have failed to convince the sort of sponsors you demand. One of those reasons might be the sport is just not as good as we think it is.

I still have my Wigan shirt that carries the Norweb name. It was Norweb that came up with the £500,000 fee to get Offiah to Wigan. Great sponsor but accused by so many Wiganphobes of ruining the game with filthy lucre, and leading to Wigans domination that also  ruined the game.

I live in the real world, John, not your imaginary classless society. 

Rugby league will never have Rolex and Mercedes type advertisers. We have Dacia. 

My point is RL should be aiming higher   than cheap tins of mushy peas as it sends out a message that rugby league is for people who eat cheap tins of mushy peas. It’s a non-aspirational message. 

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Probably the first thing IMG need to concentrate on is finding the funding to put together a proper international calender , if the money is there , the southern hemisphere should follow , hopefully 😬

An even heavier focus on roughly 5-12 (max) games a year isn't going to help English RL's position in the slightest.

RU and Soccer in this country revolves around the Wallabies and Socceroos, and basically always has. Yet both sports are still broke and supporter less despite all the exposure the Wallabies and Socceroos bring.

The reason why that is, and to give you an analogy, is because international/rep fixtures are dessert while the local club competitions are your staple diet. They're a great treat, but if you rely on junk food to sustain you then you're always going to be unhealthy no matter what you do.

If your goal is RL having a strong presence in the UK then the only way to achieve it is through investment into the grassroots and pro-scene nationally in the England, and perhaps the UK more broadly. If you get those things right then a strong rep/international scene will follow, but if you try to jump straight to the good bit without eating your vegetables first then you'll just end up another broke niche sport that can draw a good crowd a few times a year.

• Like 1