Championship, 2 from 4

6 minutes ago, crashmon said:

I think it looking more and more like Workington and Dewsbury are favourites for the drop.  With London's win vs Sheffield, and Haven getting a draw at Batley, gaps are now appearing.

London probably needs 2 wins from remaining games, as I think 11 points will be enough to survive.

image.png.65e55f1a3d3f5a6c95911dae6fa3324c.png

Where do you see Dewsbury potentially picking up 3 wins from in their remaining games to get to 10 points? Their two wins were by a point at home against Workington and by 2 points at home against Sheffield. They've recently lost at home to the two teams immediately above them - Whitehaven and London. I wouldn't have them as favourites in any of their remaining fixtures.

Workington would need 4 wins to get to 10 points, but they do have Dewsbury at home, Whitehaven to play twice, and a trip to London. Tall order, but not impossible, particularly if the loan players from Catalans add something to the team. That said, they lost 38-0 yesterday at home to a bottom half team, and Widnes's stats show that the Vikings made 0 line breaks and that Town had a higher set completion rate and fewer errors in the game.

8 minutes ago, JonM said:

Where do you see Dewsbury potentially picking up 3 wins from in their remaining games to get to 10 points? Their two wins were by a point at home against Workington and by 2 points at home against Sheffield. They've recently lost at home to the two teams immediately above them - Whitehaven and London. I wouldn't have them as favourites in any of their remaining fixtures.

Workington would need 4 wins to get to 10 points, but they do have Dewsbury at home, Whitehaven to play twice, and a trip to London. Tall order, but not impossible, particularly if the loan players from Catalans add something to the team. That said, they lost 38-0 yesterday at home to a bottom half team, and Widnes's stats show that the Vikings made 0 line breaks and that Town had a higher set completion rate and fewer errors in the game.

Hi Jon. A misunderstanding I think. He's trying to say that he thinks that Dewsbury are going down.

2 minutes ago, Hello said:

Hi Jon. A misunderstanding I think. He's trying to say that he thinks that Dewsbury are going down.

He said that London need two more wins - I'm questioning why he thinks that. I think they're already safe, tbh. Certainly one more win (Workington at home) would do it.

Edited by JonM

54 minutes ago, JonM said:

He said that London need two more wins - I'm questioning why he thinks that. I think they're already safe, tbh. Certainly one more win (Workington at home) would do it.

As a Rams fan, have to agree I think we are down now. Combination of a poor coach Lee Greenwood whom we should have sacked last season, a number of long term injuries and one of the smallest playing budgets in the Championship. Tbh I'd be surprised if we win another game, but a season in L1 might give us a springboard to get promoted and stay up as Barrow and Whitehaven have shown. 

45 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

As a Rams fan, have to agree I think we are down now. Combination of a poor coach Lee Greenwood whom we should have sacked last season, a number of long term injuries and one of the smallest playing budgets in the Championship. Tbh I'd be surprised if we win another game, but a season in L1 might give us a springboard to get promoted and stay up as Barrow and Whitehaven have shown. 

I think you've been a bit unlucky - the Barrow game could have been a win as could the home game v Thunder near the start of the season, and the two must-win home games against Whitehaven and London weren't the best timing with respect to injuries. I suppose it's not impossible that Paul Sykes will improve the team quickly, your remaining fixtures don't have too many games where you'd fancy Dewsbury's chances beforehand.

1 minute ago, JonM said:

I think you've been a bit unlucky - the Barrow game could have been a win as could the home game v Thunder near the start of the season, and the two must-win home games against Whitehaven and London weren't the best timing with respect to injuries. I suppose it's not impossible that Paul Sykes will improve the team quickly, your remaining fixtures don't have too many games where you'd fancy Dewsbury's chances beforehand.

Yes we could have won all 4 of those games and we'd have been safe, but we didn't. Liam Finn has taken over as Head Coach and I'm sure he will be good but he has neither the time or the players to turn it round. If we'd sacked Greenwood at the end of last season, think we'd have been okay but our Chairman shows a lot of loyalty to our coaches and this has cost us dearly this season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JonM said:

Widnes's stats show that the Vikings made 0 line breaks and that Town had a higher set completion rate and fewer errors in the game.

Again showing stats are often largely deceptive or just meaningless 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Really,is it right the club has messed up their visa’s

I got told the players came through the wrong section at the airport so didn’t get their visas stamped properly so It wasn’t our fault and we haven’t been able to get it sorted . But it’s just something else on top of everything else…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

I got told the players came through the wrong section at the airport so didn’t get their visas stamped properly so It wasn’t our fault and we haven’t been able to get it sorted . But it’s just something else on top of everything else…

Obviously forgot about Brexit.....

49 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Again showing stats are often largely deceptive or just meaningless 

My take on it was that in terms of what coaches often talk about, Town actually did OK. They tackled well, didn't make many errors in terms of knock-ons or forward passes etc. I don't think it's lack of commitment or motivation that is the problem.

Of course, if you concede 5 tries off short kicks, you're down 30 points and lose the game. Likewise, if you never look like threatening the line yourself, you're not going to win any games. But I think Town still have a shout of winning some games this season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JonM said:

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

Three weeks back I was worried Widnes could get drawn into this. We had London, Workington, Dewsbury and Newcastle to play back to back and based on performances against Bradford and Barrow wasn't confident we could beat anyone. Back to back wins have given me a bit more confidence and despite Dewsbury s pretty good recent record at Widnes I think this game might have come a couple of weeks too late for them.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

• 2 weeks later...

image.png.ffe37a6ddcc91e72633ae3af2dfc72d5.png

London and Haven now look safe, barring a run from either Town or Rams. Town do have a easier run in, they have Haven twice, and London still to play, but that would only take them to 8 points, and London and Haven have to still play each other as well, so one of them will go to 11.

I would be suprised if the bottom two changes now, but it still potentially possible, but we will see

On 18/07/2022 at 09:15, crashmon said:

image.png.ffe37a6ddcc91e72633ae3af2dfc72d5.png

London and Haven now look safe, barring a run from either Town or Rams. Town do have a easier run in, they have Haven twice, and London still to play, but that would only take them to 8 points, and London and Haven have to still play each other as well, so one of them will go to 11.

I would be suprised if the bottom two changes now, but it still potentially possible, but we will see

Workington still have to come to Odsal.  A battle of currently the 2 of the 3 worst teams in the league (along with Dewsbury). Theres every chance they could beat us.  However ver we do play Whitehaven as well who will also fancy their chances. 

In all likelihood the bottom 2 as it stands will be in League 1 next year. 

Keighley straight up and then its wide open for the playoffs.  

In terms of being an away supporter, Rochdale or Hunslet coming up would be preferable however for the good of the game it would be great to see Crusaders come up. 

Edited by Ragingbull

8 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

Workington still have to come to Odsal.  A battle of currently the 2 of the 3 worst teams in the league (along with Dewsbury). Theres every chance they could beat us.  However ver we do play Whitehaven as well who will also fancy their chances. 

In all likelihood the bottom 2 as it stands will be in League 1 next year. 

Keighley straight up and then its wide open for the playoffs.  

In terms of being an away supporter, Rochdale or Hunslet coming up would be preferable however for the good of the game it would be great to see Crusaders come up. 

I hope Crusaders come up. I don't see Either Rams or Town getting 10 points, I think with the run ins, Worky could get a couple of wins to not finish bottom, but to get to 10 points for either of the bottom 2 is a big ask.