On 15/06/2023 at 09:45, Futtocks said:

James Robertson Justice, born on this day in 1907. If you can find a copy of the biography by James Hogg, he had one hell of a remarkable life. The book's not particularly well written, but the remarkable content carries it.

For those who can see JRJ's tall, but somewhat portly, figure in their mind's eye, it may come as a surprise to learn that he was an ice hockey goalkeeper.  Forced to give that up due to a skiing injury, he became an ice hockey referee.  In an international between England and Austria, at Golders Green ice rink (in 1933 or thereabouts), he dismissed the visitors' goalkeeper from the match; his team-mates promptly skated off in protest.  However, the Austrian ambassador was at the game and used his diplomatic skills to persuade his countrymen to resume the match.

I learnt this from Phil Drackett's excellent book on British ice hockey, "Flashing Blades", but, unfortunately, he doesn't say what the final score was. 

1 minute ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

For those who can see JRJ's tall, but somewhat portly, figure in their mind's eye, it may come as a surprise to learn that he was an ice hockey goalkeeper.  Forced to give that up due to a skiing injury, he became an ice hockey referee.  In an international between England and Austria, at Golders Green ice rink (in 1933 or thereabouts), he dismissed the visitors' goalkeeper from the match; his team-mates promptly skated off in protest.  However, the Austrian ambassador was at the game and used his diplomatic skills to persuade his countrymen to resume the match.

I learnt this from Phil Drackett's excellent book on British ice hockey, "Flashing Blades", but, unfortunately, he doesn't say what the final score was. 

Other occupations included bargee, a Reuters colleague of Ian Fleming, racing driver and lumberjack in Canada. He fought against Franco's fascists in Spain, stood for parliament (Labour) and was a co-founder of the Wildlife Trust. Prince Philip, in the forward to James Hogg's biography of the actor, recalls happy days spearfishing with JRJ.

There are also murky rumours about an outstanding murder warrant, dating from his time as a League of Nations policeman in pre-WW2 Germany.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 3rd July, 1938, the LNER A4 class pacific no 4468 "Mallard" reached a verified speed of almost 126 mph, which remains the world speed record for a steam railway locomotive.  It's hard to see that record ever being broken for obvious reasons.

Tomorrow, we mark the 400th anniversary of the death of one of England's greatest composers, William Byrd.  I arrived home about an hour ago from a recital given by Salisbury Cathedral choir in my village church.  It opened with four anthems by Byrd; they sounded as fresh and beautiful as the day they were written.

• 3 weeks later...

On this day in 1798, the Royal Navy under the command of Nelson inflicted a devastating defeat on the French Navy at the Battle of the Nile which completely quashed Napoleon's ambitions in Egypt and North Africa. The most famous moment of the battle was when the French flagship, l'Orient exploded. 

This is one of the most famous battles in Royal Navy history and arguably just as important as the Battle of Trafalgar and yet the average joe in the street has almost certainly never heard of it. 

John McCarthy released 1991…Iraq occupies Kuwait 1990…Nixon announces resignation 1974…Sharon Tate and four others murdered by Manson family 1969…Great Train Robbery 1963…USSR declares war on Japan 1945…Battle of Amiens begins 1918…Wright brothers first public flight 1908…

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

102 years ago today, Mr and Mrs Milne gave their son, Christopher Robin, a toy teddy bear for his first birthday.  The rest, as they say, is literary history.

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Untill Christopher became ill. I assume you knew about that?

I knew there was some father-son tension at times, but not about any illness.  What happened?

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

He went down with Alice, which is I assume, some sort of contagious disease.🙂

Brilliant - how could I walk into that?!

• Haha 1

29th of August - Happy Birthday, Rugby League!

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson